Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Unread 11-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #3826
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

I finally saw Wonder Woman! Funny that it didn't take so long after we talked about it. My mother really wanted to watch it so she proposed a family movie night and here we are! I know a few people who have seen Justice League that say the movie is entertaining and I mean in the end isn't that all you really want from a movie? But who knows.

@Ayaasan: Are you taking the train every day or are you staying at a hotel??

Unread 11-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #3827
ayaasan

Tulipe: I plan on staying in a hotel. With the train I'm only allowed one larger piece of checked luggage and two carry-on's, so hence the limited packing space--I need space just for regular clothes, too Here's hoping the prices are a bit more reasonable next year. When I first started attending this con the Marriott was around $110/night. It was over $200/night this year from what I saw. I could take a dream trip of mine to Scotland (for a week and half, including a nicer hotel and airfare) for just a bit more than that @.@

I think I'm going to wait for Justice League so that I can rent it.

Check out my Tumblr for more up-to date cosplay progress

Last edited by ayaasan : 11-19-2017 at 09:30 AM.
ayaasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #3828
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

Wondercon tickets are on sale now, y'all~

@Ayaasan: Ohhh. Gotcha. I'm not sure how I'm going to get up there myself yet. Still working on that. The prices are crazy these days! And hotels always know when cons and stuff are around and raise the prices like crazy. DC isn't really my thing so, I'm okay with waiting for it.

A new picture came out of Black Widow from Infinity War and I kinda want to do that???

Last edited by La Tulipe Noire : 11-20-2017 at 07:34 PM.
La Tulipe Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #3829
ayaasan

I think I'm going to wait a bit on Wondercon to see what the hotel rates are. If they're too ridiculous...I might be taking a vacation elsewhere :P Around $1000+ for lodging, a weekend pass and transportation (not even including money for food and just for fun) is a bit much for a con that can't even really boast a good panel selection and practically the exact same vendors every year? We're basically paying double for a con that hasn't changed since it started ...other than being more crowded and expensive *shrugs* We'll see

I swear, I'm the grumpy cosplay grandma now, haha. Remember when cons were actually worth what ya paid for? :P I honestly might try for a con in London (MCM) or Canada (Fan Expo) next, just to see the difference (plus, if it's a bust, I'll still have a new place to explore )

Tulipe: Oooh! I love her outfit for Infinity War. Go for it

Last edited by ayaasan : 11-20-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Unread 11-23-2017, 04:01 AM   #3830
bad_luck
^_~

Hey y'all! I see we're talking about Wondercon. I'm still tentatively planning to go. I'll be taking the train or the bus down as well, to save mileage on my car and so I don't have to worry about parking. Plans aren't 100% solid yet, but I'd be willing to split a room with someone to share the cost if any of us ends up going! At least we have time to think about it, right? Wondercon doesn't sell out crazy-fast like Comic-con, does it? If I go, I'll probably bring Gadget or maybe do something new, Disneywise. For a lazy/comfy cosplay I'll either bring Eddie from It or whip up Steve Harrington from Stranger Things ^-^.

One thing that might affect my plans is that I'm almost certainly going to Anime Los Angeles for at least a day. I hadn't planned on it, but I just found out that the voice cast from Cowboy Bebop is going to be there, and as Cowboy Bebop was one of my early anime loves, I'd love to meet the cast. Also, one of those actors also happens to have voiced Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi; I fell in love with Fushigi Yuugi and Nuriko when I was a wee 18-year-old in high school almost 20 years ago, and cosplaying as him has been on my "cosplay bucket list" ever since. So this seems like the time to finally do it.
So yeah. I'll have to see how much that's going to cost before I fully commit to Wondercon, but so far I'm hoping to try and swing both.

ayaasan: I've been thinking it's time to invest in a serger as well! The "faux serging" with the zig-zag stitch works, but a serger can do so much! Amazon currently has a "deal of the day" for a Brother 1034D that looks quite nice for $135.00 and free shipping. I'm considering getting it, and then returning it if I find a better deal on Cyber Monday. You'll have to let me know what you find!

ETA: I did it! After a lot of researching and deliberating, I pulled the trigger on buying the serger with 10 minutes to spare. It's gotten consistently great reviews and seems like it'll be a good one for the price point. I figured it's better to get it now and do a return if a better deal comes along than to wait for a better price that might not come. I feel a little guilty about buying something so extravagant for myself right before Christmas. I probably should have just asked friends and family for money or gift cards towards a serger, but the sale sucked me in!

Last edited by bad_luck : 11-24-2017 at 03:10 AM.
bad_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #3831
ayaasan

Bad_Luck: Nah, Wondercon doesn't tend to sell out until about a week or so before the con. Plenty of time to wait for more announcements And how exciting! Getting to meet the voice cast, AND a serger! Best of luck And if you do Steve Harrington I want to see how you do the hair--that looks like it would be a super fun wig (or hairstyle if using your own hair) to style *.*

I almost got that same serger, but I just couldn't do it. I have to finish Christmas shopping, a ton of bills are coming up, and I'm saving up for my upcoming Disney World vacation. (I haven't been in almost four years. So exciting!!) My most recent "extravagance" was a new scented candle and a Dita Von Teese blouse I've been eyeing because it was on sale, lol.

I have most of the supplies for Mary on hand (I mainly just need organza for the skirt and some trims as well as a base parasol and hat) so I'll probably be working on and off on her pretty soon. I also have all of the patterns for Hippolyta and some scrap poster board so I'll be doing some test armor soon, too

I have been crafting, though! I made a pair of Beauty and the Beast Minnie ears, and I'm making a matching jacket

EDIT: well....hotels just went up. I don't think I'm going to Wondercon anymore :/ A minimum of $117 for a Clarion (really?? On off season that hotel is around $80/night) and $205 for the Marriott? That's kind of ridiculous for a con "discount". This used to be the chill, lower priced option from Comic Con.... When my Disney World vacation costs less than Wondercon, there's something wrong there.

Anyhoo, I'll definitely still be sewing, but I don't have a definitive date for anything. New Years Resolution is to get my passport, so we'll see from there. I'm thinking Fan Expo Vancouver Canada next? Or maybe just a fun trip to Europe Talk to y'all later.

Last edited by ayaasan : 12-06-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Unread Yesterday, 01:02 AM   #3832
LinkPwnsGanon
Lady Scarlett Cosplay

Ayaasan: Aww bummer I was hoping to see you there but a trip to Europe sounds fun

W.I.P:
Aurora 60th anniversary - Disney
Princess Deku - Drifiting by Stars art
Steampunk Ladybug - Miraculous Ladybug
Super Sailor Chibi Moon - Sailor Moon
Female Kylo Ren
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #3833
ayaasan

I'm super sad that I'm not going, but I just can't justify the cost Cons are getting more and more expensive (because con directors and hotels have realized they're popular and that people will pay.), and there's just not enough to keep me going. I'm kind of in limbo at the moment. I still want to sew and learn new techniques, but I don't have a destination in mind. I'm thinking of bringing Sarah or Dolores to the large Renaissance Faire in LA next year, but other than that I'll be taking 2018 off to travel and sew without a deadline. I'm tentatively planning MCM Comic Con in London for 2019 since I could just plan a vacation to London around the con

Last edited by ayaasan : Yesterday at 05:08 PM.