Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Unread 11-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
Pink Princess

Search bar

Hello what happened to the really helpful search bar?
thanks form Tracy
Pink Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Tiffany_Park

Hi, I've got the same question. What happened to the Search? Is it coming back at some point? Thanks.
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

It's definitely coming back, but unfortunately it isn't ready yet and I apologize for the delay.

The old search engine was not built for the volume of searches it was doing, and during our busiest time of year (Halloween) I had to take it down to save on server resources. In the meantime, a new search engine was built (along with a lot of other upgrades) and everything will be going into testing soon. I don't have an ETA yet but I'm shooting for Thanksgiving weekend or the week after.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Tiffany_Park

Thank you for the update!
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #5
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Thank you for the update!

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post

The old search engine was not built for the volume of searches it was doing, and during our busiest time of year (Halloween) I had to take it down to save on server resources.
Wow. I had no idea we did so many searches.

Thanks for the update.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2017, 01:33 AM   #7
SamuraiRAIDEN
RaideNET Framework 2.4.0A

Oh ok. So the search went away by design. LoL. Hoppefully its back soon. I got cosplay research to do and looking here is a great source of reference pictures. But definitely wont force myself to manually look if i can avoid it. Looking forward to when the new features go live
Unread 12-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #8
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiRAIDEN View Post
Oh ok. So the search went away by design. LoL. Hoppefully its back soon. I got cosplay research to do and looking here is a great source of reference pictures. But definitely wont force myself to manually look if i can avoid it. Looking forward to when the new features go live
Thanks for being patient on everything - it's all just down to core layout and UI changes at this point, so I should have something to show soon. Hoping to make it an early Xmas present for everyone.
Unread 12-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
JoeMcShinsky
Average Joe Cosplay

FYI, as a workaround you can use images.google.com with the ‘site’ option.
Ex:
star trek site:cosplay.com/photo/

Edit; you could embed the search as well to then open a new tab or put it into a frame (old school)
https://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to...earch_my_site/

Last edited by JoeMcShinsky : 12-14-2017 at 09:02 PM.
JoeMcShinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
Viveeh
mango puff

Hope it's back up soon!
Prince Alphie
Harley Quinn

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2018, 02:53 AM   #11
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
It's definitely coming back, but unfortunately it isn't ready yet and I apologize for the delay.

The old search engine was not built for the volume of searches it was doing, and during our busiest time of year (Halloween) I had to take it down to save on server resources. In the meantime, a new search engine was built (along with a lot of other upgrades) and everything will be going into testing soon. I don't have an ETA yet but I'm shooting for Thanksgiving weekend or the week after.

Way past that and still no search feature.

Conventions Attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
(Upcoming) Anime Midwest 2018

Current Cosplays: Suzu (ToP), Sheena (ToS) default and young/successor version

Upcoming Cosplays: Magma Grunt, White Mage, Kikyo

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Yugioh, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #12
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

So... It's been a while since we got an update on when things are going to be updated, including the return of the search option. Any ideas when?

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2018, 04:24 AM   #13
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post
So... It's been a while since we got an update on when things are going to be updated, including the return of the search option. Any ideas when?
Getting close. The new servers are tentatively scheduled for this coming weekend, and then I have to start preparing to convert all of the content over. That's the part I have no ETA on. I'm also using it as an opportunity to purge unused accounts out of the system, which will speed things up a bit on that front.

I took the samples thread down because the overall look has changed enough since then that the old images aren't 100% indicative of the new style.

Once the final conversion is about to start, I'll post the big update/news, as there will be a day or two of downtime or read-only mode. It's literally a 100% brand new site, but with all of the old stuff converted over to fill it. Truth is the current site was fine for 2008, but in 2018 it doesn't even remotely mesh with how general web user experience patterns have evolved since then. So I started with "how would someone build a brand new site from scratch in 2018" and went from there. We need to move away from being a forum with a photo gallery (with costumes tacked onto it), and more toward the profiles, costumes and photoshoots being the foundation.

The site will start out simple in functionality (profiles, costumes, photos, albums) while I monitor the server resources, and then I'll start turning on more features (search, aggregated activity feeds, groups, etc). My main concern is that we'll likely get slammed with traffic in the first few days, and it's either build out 3x the infrastructure for that one week (a lot of extra $$) or let things cool off first.

There are also some very fundamental changes that I have to write up a bunch of info for. For example, you'll be able to change your username much like you can on Twitter, and your new profile will be at "username" instead of member/#. Old URL's will forward over so there's no need to change inbound links or anything. But a lot of older usernames use odd characters and may need to be changed by the user before the new URL works for them (the old URL will still work during that time). You also have a display name (again like Twitter) which will default to your username and is also changeable.

When you log in for the first time there is a quick checklist to run through of about 3-4 items, like confirming your username and updating your settings (I've added a lot of new settings for notifications and privacy/blocking features). But with anything, it's going to be a crazy week or two once it launches. If a few people are interested in volunteering, I might put up a beta so that I'm not the only one who knows how things work LOL. Come to think of it we could probably use a few extra mods as well at that point.

So yeah. I've spent around 6-8 straight months putting square pegs into round holes, but it's about ready. I do want everyone to know that I stop in here throughout the day and I do keep up on threads like these. I thank everyone for their patience and am confident that it'll be worth it in the long run. I'm open to whatever questions anyone has.
Unread 05-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #14
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Getting close. The new servers are tentatively scheduled for this coming weekend, and then I have to start preparing to convert all of the content over. That's the part I have no ETA on. I'm also using it as an opportunity to purge unused accounts out of the system, which will speed things up a bit on that front.

We need to move away from being a forum with a photo gallery (with costumes tacked onto it), and more toward the profiles, costumes and photoshoots being the foundation.

The site will start out simple in functionality (profiles, costumes, photos, albums) while I monitor the server resources, and then I'll start turning on more features (search, aggregated activity feeds, groups, etc). My main concern is that we'll likely get slammed with traffic in the first few days, and it's either build out 3x the infrastructure for that one week (a lot of extra $$) or let things cool off first.

There are also some very fundamental changes that I have to write up a bunch of info for. For example, you'll be able to change your username much like you can on Twitter, and your new profile will be at "username" instead of member/#. Old URL's will forward over so there's no need to change inbound links or anything. But a lot of older usernames use odd characters and may need to be changed by the user before the new URL works for them (the old URL will still work during that time). You also have a display name (again like Twitter) which will default to your username and is also changeable.

I'm open to whatever questions anyone has.
While a lot of the past changes mentioned sound great (more mods to help keep on top of things like the event calendar, return of journals, syncing convention specific forums with the event calendar - all of which you are still planning to do, yes?) the part I bolded above (non forum focused site) is what scares me. Is the forum part of the site being scrapped, or kept permanently read only, or something else entirely? One of the main reasons I still use this site over the influx of newer ones like Cosplay Amino, Cospix, and CureWorldCospaly is that the forum focus here makes it a great place to ask questions and advice on how to construct something. If the aim is to be a more profile and photo focused site, I'm kind of curious what the plan is to make this place stand out from the wide variety of other options.

Conventions Attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
(Upcoming) Anime Midwest 2018

Current Cosplays: Suzu (ToP), Sheena (ToS) default and young/successor version

Upcoming Cosplays: Magma Grunt, White Mage, Kikyo

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Yugioh, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon

Last edited by Chiagirl : 05-22-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
While a lot of the past changes mentioned sound great (more mods to help keep on top of things like the event calendar, return of journals, syncing convention specific forums with the event calendar - all of which you are still planning to do, yes?) the part I bolded above (non forum focused site) is what scares me. Is the forum part of the site being scrapped, or kept permanently read only, or something else entirely? One of the main reasons I still use this site over the influx of newer ones like Cosplay Amino, Cospix, and CureWorldCospaly is that the forum focus here makes it a great place to ask questions and advice on how to construct something. If the aim is to be a more profile and photo focused site, I'm kind of curious what the plan is to make this place stand out from the wide variety of other options.
The forum isn't going away, I probably should have been a bit clearer - it's definitely an integral part of the site. But here's how it's being handled:

The current forum is being archived as read-only. There is a new forum taking its place, with around 15 sub-forums for starters covering all of the main topics (Cosplay chat, off-topic, wigs, sewing, photography, etc). Right now we have somewhere around 180 forums and on any given day, maybe 5 of them get posts. So it's best to consolidate things as much as possible.

For events, once the calendar is re-opened each event on the calendar automatically has its own forum. Threads in event forums will also appear in one larger aggregated forum with the specific event as a "tag" that can be filtered, favorited or ignored.

So there's nothing to worry about forum-wise - we will still have an active forum to participate in, just in a more efficient setup.

The difference I outlined above is more from a code-base standpoint. Currently we're running forums software with a bunch of custom code tacked onto it for photos and costumes, while the new site is coded from the ground up to be profile and content-based with the forums as a sub-section.

The end result from a user experience is the same - but from a development standpoint it's liberating and allows for easier expansion. (Example - the photos and costumes right now are built using custom code that integrates into the forum's template system, meaning the forum drives the site. I designed the new site to have a core template system that doesn't care what type of content is being used. A thread/photo/costume/profile is just its own template that displays data.)

Last edited by Admin : 05-22-2018 at 04:33 PM.