Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 12-02-2017, 05:58 AM   #1
usualuniqueness

Fabric edge fraying

Hello! I'm currently making cosplay of Togame from Katanagatari, and I'm having some problems with her skirt. How could I keep the edge of the skirt from faying? I've read about fray stopper glues and was wondering if that would be a best option for it. The shape of the skirt makes it kinda hard to sew in a hem, I think. Any suggestions?
usualuniqueness is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
Penlowe

There are a number of ways to deal with this, many of which depend upon your skill and the materials used.

1. Sew a tiny rolled hem. If you press the hem first, you can indeed sew a hem using as little as 3/8 of an inch. This requires more patience than skill as it's 90% ironing.

2. Sew a facing (or actually fully line it). Essentially cut the whole skirt again in similar colored fabric, sew right sides together along the hem, clip the curves and points and turn right side out. this requires a waistband of some sort usually to enclose the skirt and lining fabric at the top. More careful sewing skill and fabric required, but my favorite for best finished appearance.

These two options are best for woven (non-stretchy) fabrics.

3. Fray Check, which is indeed glue. TEST FIRST as it can discolor some fabrics. It's runny so if you put too much down it makes the fabric hard and crunchy. I only use Fray Check on ribbon or cord where sewing some sort of hem isn't an option.

IMO
It is a better use of your time and money learning to sew. It is a skill that reaches far beyond cosplay.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

There is also a technique using bias tape, but not in the way most cosplayers use it. Stitch the bias tape right side to right side on the outside of the skirt, along one of the folds (using single-fold and stitching with that tiny quarter-inch wastes the least amount of fabric, if you didn't measure a hem allowance when cutting it). Turn the bias tape to the inside of the skirt and press it down - it essentially turns the bias tape itself into a very tiny facing that will stretch around all those curves. Then topstitch it down. It'll look, from the outside, like just a regular hem stitch.

But I think Penlowe's idea of fully lining it is the best for this situation. It will also give the skirt some body so that it won't flap up with every step you take.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

I personally have used a top coat for nail polish, in clear for my stockings when I had to distress them for my Scarlet Witch cosplay to stop the fabric from fraying so maybe you can also try that.
It shouldn't hurt the fabric, but I'm not sure the fabric you're using is delicate or sensitive or anything of the sort so maybe try on a scrap piece just in case.

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote