Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #79006
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Well, looks like I am going to need a new June con. Holy crap ANext social media team. X_X At least this means more money for Ota?

Tested Minako today and looks good! Also finally printed out a gold set of servant class cards so I can have a F/GO set. Just need to put them together.

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #79007
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Something about the gathering job on one of my Sailor Mars bows looks wrong but I can't put my finger on what it is.

And I can't take it apart to have another go because my seam ripper has vanished into the ether.

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #79008
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Looking at photos from Sac-Summer's Disney gathering is making me more excited for the Sac-Winter Disney gathering(and more motivated to get Merida finished xD)! Just hope the weather isn't bad during the con weekend. ;u;

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #79009
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

On my way home today, I noticed Fabricland is apparently moving to a new location? I haven't been there in a while so I was surprised to find out. There's another one that's a bit further away and I didn't get a chance to look at the new location, but either way it's a bit further from me then it is now. So that's going to be interesting once I get fabric for Blue Angel.

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #79010
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

The offending bow.

Ideally I want it to look like the red one (or for that matter other chest bows made using the same patterns and method). But I'm not sure what I messed up on to make it look like that instead.

Instagram - Facebook
Unread 12-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #79011
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
The offending bow.

Ideally I want it to look like the red one (or for that matter other chest bows made using the same patterns and method). But I'm not sure what I messed up on to make it look like that instead.
Perhaps the pinching/pleating you did for the body of the bow wasn't enough?

So I made another set of Fate cards and uploaded it to a fb group I'm in...and a few people want me to make some for them. Well, this is another way to make some money? lol

Quote:

Unread 12-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #79012
lunaflora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
The offending bow.

You need to make the bow... wider? taller? bigger vertically! There's not enough fabric to gather down to form the pleats, that's why you don't see a lot of gathers there. It might also be that the center tie isn't holding the pleats you made. I would unstitch the center part, pleat the bow again and hold it in place (maybe tack it down with some hand stitches) while you put the center on again.
There is a point where when you are scaling a pattern to be smaller, you should keep some of the dimensions the same because of the behavior of the fabric. If you look at the center of the two bows, they look roughly the same size. This means that the width of the bows are being gathered down to roughly the same size. The pink(?) bow is wider than the purple bow, so more fabric is being put into the center, forming the folds, while the purple one has less fabric going into the same amount of space, resulting is less folding.
I would make the purple bow the same width as the pink one. If you want it smaller, then maybe you can shave off a small amount, but not as much as it currently is.

Last edited by lunaflora : 12-07-2017 at 10:40 PM.
lunaflora is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #79013
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

So I might be saving Nagito due to not being able to find matching fabric for the jacket I'm recycling and instead go ahead and do Junko for Sac-Winter. If I can style the beast of the wig that is. x_X

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2017, 03:32 AM   #79014
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaflora View Post
You need to make the bow... wider? taller? bigger vertically! There's not enough fabric to gather down to form the pleats, that's why you don't see a lot of gathers there. It might also be that the center tie isn't holding the pleats you made. I would unstitch the center part, pleat the bow again and hold it in place (maybe tack it down with some hand stitches) while you put the center on again.
There is a point where when you are scaling a pattern to be smaller, you should keep some of the dimensions the same because of the behavior of the fabric. If you look at the center of the two bows, they look roughly the same size. This means that the width of the bows are being gathered down to roughly the same size. The pink(?) bow is wider than the purple bow, so more fabric is being put into the center, forming the folds, while the purple one has less fabric going into the same amount of space, resulting is less folding.
I would make the purple bow the same width as the pink one. If you want it smaller, then maybe you can shave off a small amount, but not as much as it currently is.

The pattern was pre-scaled when I got it, so yeah.

Instagram - Facebook
Unread 12-08-2017, 04:12 AM   #79015
Alyxiane
Still a growing bud.

Had a dental appointment and realized there was a Daiso within the area. Ended up getting eight small EVA mats, crafting knifes and their replaceable blades, and a sort of "white stretching pole" that can be extended or retracted. There's other things missing, of course, but I can eventually start working towards this version of Miriam's sword.
Miriam ~ Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night | D.Va (Carbon Fiber) ~ Overwatch | Star Guardian Ahri - League of Legends

Alyxiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2017, 06:03 AM   #79016
Blood_Sword
aka Shiro Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
Holy crap, that is huge. How's the weight on it. 0_0
I'm not gonna lie – it's really damn hard to lift with just one hand (at least comfortably) because of its bulk and how the majority of the weight is on one side. I need two hands to carry it and, preferably, lean it against something (my shoulder etc).

In other words: I don't foresee myself walking around a lot with this thing in hand at a con, lol. I guess I'll mostly be standing somewhere and looking cool with it. Why do Monster Hunter props have to be so massive? XD And here I tried making it as light-weight as possible.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #79017
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Sword View Post
I'm not gonna lie – it's really damn hard to lift with just one hand (at least comfortably) because of its bulk and how the majority of the weight is on one side. I need two hands to carry it and, preferably, lean it against something (my shoulder etc).

In other words: I don't foresee myself walking around a lot with this thing in hand at a con, lol. I guess I'll mostly be standing somewhere and looking cool with it. Why do Monster Hunter props have to be so massive? XD And here I tried making it as light-weight as possible.
Oh man I know that feeling. A friend of mine is making Attila's sword from F/GO for me and I told him to make it as light as possible but the way it is shaped....we'll see how that goes. xD

So wisdom teeth surgery was today. I'm in no pain whatsoever(coming off of the surgery meds though, oi). My face is slightly swelled but it isn't that bad and should probably be long gone by next weekend. Crossing fingers that I can get back to eating normal foods by then. It's only day one and I'm tired of the rice/yogurt diet. xD

Quote:

Unread 12-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #79018
xIkuna

I love tattoos, but man do they make choosing characters to cosplay hard xD I'm getting a shoulder piece (of my cat!!) annnnd I'll have to rule out any characters with revealed shoulders unless I want to attempted to cover up a black cat haha

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Dalish Grey Warden- Dragon Age: Origins

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2017, 02:59 AM   #79019
Respawning

My friend and I are going to have a sewing race tomorrow. We are using the same pattern to each make our witcher pants (me Ciri and her Triss) and we will see who wins....I am mostly nervous because I really wanted to do a mock up first as my size is changing so I wanted to make sure it would fit, but I don't have time for that now.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #79020
lunaflora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
My friend and I are going to have a sewing race tomorrow. We are using the same pattern to each make our witcher pants (me Ciri and her Triss) and we will see who wins....I am mostly nervous because I really wanted to do a mock up first as my size is changing so I wanted to make sure it would fit, but I don't have time for that now.
If you want, you could just mock up the top half of the pant. That should take up less time and fabric, and you have a better idea of the fit.
lunaflora is online now   Reply With Quote