Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Unread 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #11536
ZeroCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeCassee View Post
I started cosplaying for Otakon when I was 16. It's a good age to get into it.

I also have never been to any other con, other than Otakon. And Otakon is kinda huge and epic, so I am pretty sure I won't be overwhelmed. This is me coming back after a long break from cons for college.

Okay, I actually have to go do art now for Katsu, someone beat me with a stick if you see me constantly posting.
are you from pa?
ZeroCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #11537
AmeCassee
Lost, gone to find me.

@ZeroCosplay

Yes.
AmeCassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #11538
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

Quote:
I started cosplaying for Otakon when I was 16. It's a good age to get into it.

I also have never been to any other con, other than Otakon. And Otakon is kinda huge and epic, so I am pretty sure I won't be overwhelmed. This is me coming back after a long break from cons for college.

Okay, I actually have to go do art now for Katsu, someone beat me with a stick if you see me constantly posting.
I wanted to start cosplaying since 2 years ago after going to my first anime convention, Zenkaikon but I didn't have the money (was 14 back then) so I've been saving up money and been working on getting a job to help pay for my hobby.

I want to go to college, and hope that they have an anime club (if not I'll start one! lol ^.^)

I like hearing about other people stories about when they start cosplaying, it's makes me more excited once I get everything put together for my first cosplay.

In-Progress~*
Nagisa Motomiya (AKB0048) - 10%

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)
Nanami Haruka (Uta no Prince-sama)

Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #11539
AmeCassee
Lost, gone to find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll View Post
I wanted to start cosplaying since 2 years ago after going to my first anime convention, Zenkaikon but I didn't have the money (was 14 back then) so I've been saving up money and been working on getting a job to help pay for my hobby.

I want to go to college, and hope that they have an anime club (if not I'll start one! lol ^.^)

I like hearing about other people stories about when they start cosplaying, it's makes me more excited once I get everything put together for my first cosplay.
Funny enough, I went to private school. So we started an anime club in our high school was was heavily frowned upon. Anywho, it was amazing. I got into cosplaying because of my friends and it brought my brother and I closer together too. That whole moment when you realize you like the same things and your parents aren't forcing you too, lol!

It is hard to do really amazing cosplaying when you are younger, for the reason that you are in school and working and busy. I look back on the ones I have done and CRINGE. Regardless what will be said, or what you think, you should concentrate more on your studies now and not worry about making something amazing epic. Perfect little skills, or choose one and make it better each year. I did Seras from Hellsing for three years.

Also, ask ask ask. I cannot tell you what I would have done if I did not ask how to do something. There were many late night panic attacks over problems that were then easily solved by others help. The people here are amazing for this.

Finally, do not be afraid to make mistakes. They help you grow. I can't wait to see pictures of what you do, I am sure it will be awesome. And good luck with school!!
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #11540
ZeroCosplay

Quote:
@ZeroCosplay

Yes.
ok. just asking, but do you want to go to sakura-con with me? like traveling there I mean
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #11541
AmeCassee
Lost, gone to find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroCosplay View Post
ok. just asking, but do you want to go to sakura-con with me? like traveling there I mean
It's cool, but yes I have lived in PA my whole life.

I would love to go BUT:

A. I don't think I can afford it. (Travel and hotel and all. Ug money)
B. It is the weekend right after another con and I don't want to wear myself thin.
C. I am not sure i would be able to get the time off from work.

I am sorry but thank you so much for asking me!! ^_^
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #11542
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

Quote:
Funny enough, I went to private school. So we started an anime club in our high school was was heavily frowned upon. Anywho, it was amazing. I got into cosplaying because of my friends and it brought my brother and I closer together too. That whole moment when you realize you like the same things and your parents aren't forcing you too, lol!

It is hard to do really amazing cosplaying when you are younger, for the reason that you are in school and working and busy. I look back on the ones I have done and CRINGE. Regardless what will be said, or what you think, you should concentrate more on your studies now and not worry about making something amazing epic. Perfect little skills, or choose one and make it better each year. I did Seras from Hellsing for three years.

Also, ask ask ask. I cannot tell you what I would have done if I did not ask how to do something. There were many late night panic attacks over problems that were then easily solved by others help. The people here are amazing for this.

Finally, do not be afraid to make mistakes. They help you grow. I can't wait to see pictures of what you do, I am sure it will be awesome. And good luck with school!!
That's awesome! Way to stick it too them. I just revamp the anime club at my school. I'm sharing presidency with my older brother. Yeah I just found out my old friend (who lives in Florida, but was from Pennsylvania originally) just got into cosplay. I was like wjfnjngfnj! xD I have other friends who want to cosplay but they are all broke because they spent their money on video-games, other hobbies or on marching band stuff. ^^' My dad supports me in wanting to cosplay. He also often teases by saying that he's going cosplay himself. xD

Yeah I know when you first begin it isn't pretty, but you learn and get better. Thanks for the advice! I really do appreciate it. I need someone tell me that once in awhile. Studying is important, I've been focusing on getting into a good college. *finger cross* Yeah even though my first cosplay isn't going to be super great I'll probably be wearing till I get out of high school! lol. Also I would make sure to ask a lot of questions. Right now I'm not really confident with my sewing skills so I'm commissioning right now, but I having my grandmother and my aunt teach me how to make cosplay and costumes. (My grandmother use to make Halloween costumes for people, including my brother and I). I really do want to make my own cosplay one day~ (However I might make Yurippe's beret myself, I have confident for that).

I sure will post a picture of my Yurippe cosplay once I have everything together. I order the wig a few days ago. And I'm still looking for the shoes. So I'm almost done.

In-Progress~*

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)

Unread 02-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #11543
ZeroCosplay

Quote:
It's cool, but yes I have lived in PA my whole life.

I would love to go BUT:

A. I don't think I can afford it. (Travel and hotel and all. Ug money)
B. It is the weekend right after another con and I don't want to wear myself thin.
C. I am not sure i would be able to get the time off from work.

I am sorry but thank you so much for asking me!! ^_^
well... it was worth a shot. lol
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #11544
AmeCassee
Lost, gone to find me.

Quote:
Yeah I know when you first begin it isn't pretty, but you learn and get better. Thanks for the advice! I really do appreciate it. I need someone tell me that once in awhile. Studying is important, I've been focusing on getting into a good college. *finger cross* Yeah even though my first cosplay isn't going to be super great I'll probably be wearing till I get out of high school! lol. Also I would make sure to ask a lot of questions. Right now I'm not really confident with my sewing skills so I'm commissioning right now, but I having my grandmother and my aunt teach me how to make cosplay and costumes. (My grandmother use to make Halloween costumes for people, including my brother and I). I really do want to make my own cosplay one day~ (However I might make Yurippe's beret myself, I have confident for that).

I sure will post a picture of my Yurippe cosplay once I have everything together. I order the wig a few days ago. And I'm still looking for the shoes. So I'm almost done.
Oh you lucky duck!! I wish I had someone teach me first hand. Mine was all trial and error. And it seemed a lot of errors, lol. I sew all by hand too. I can't justify buying a sewing machine when I have rent and loans and the likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroCosplay View Post
well... it was worth a shot. lol
YES! I am sorry it is not the news you wanted but I really do appreciate you asking. It is always worth a shot!

If you go I want to see pictures! I don't know if I will ever get to that con but the website is really pretty.
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #11545
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

Quote:
Oh you lucky duck!! I wish I had someone teach me first hand. Mine was all trial and error. And it seemed a lot of errors, lol. I sew all by hand too. I can't justify buying a sewing machine when I have rent and loans and the likes.

YES! I am sorry it is not the news you wanted but I really do appreciate you asking. It is always worth a shot!

If you go I want to see pictures! I don't know if I will ever get to that con but the website is really pretty.
I won't call myself lucky. xD My grandmother is good sewing but she has little patience for trail and error. When I first being sewing I sew the wrong stitch and she made it sound like I ruined $100 fabric. But I'm thankful for her help. I few times I've been thinking about joining the sewing club at my library. No sewing machine? D: My gawd. You need to be knighted! I don't have one either (unless you count the 1800s sewing machine in my dinning room, it was my grandmother's mom). But can't you buy a decent one for $50? Because those all the ones I'm looking at.

In-Progress~*

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)

Unread 02-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #11546
AmeCassee
Lost, gone to find me.

Quote:
I won't call myself lucky. xD My grandmother is good sewing but she has little patience for trail and error. When I first being sewing I sew the wrong stitch and she made it sound like I ruined $100 fabric. But I'm thankful for her help. I few times I've been thinking about joining the sewing club at my library. No sewing machine? D: My gawd. You need to be knighted! I don't have one either (unless you count the 1800s sewing machine in my dinning room, it was my grandmother's mom). But can't you buy a decent one for $50? Because those all the ones I'm looking at.
Ahhh I see. Well at least your have some form of hands on help. Lol! I don't know about knighted, because I have never done anything really hardcore. I have kinda repurposed a lot of things. Saves time and money.

I also like to sew by hand because you can easy fix a mistake that would otherwise take horrendous time with a machine. I have looked at getting machines before, but it is also my experience that you get what you pay for. If you want a good machine that will last, you need to shell out the money for it. It took me some time. There are certain things I don't care about, and then things like electronics...I try to buy the best brands because I want it to last forever. If that makes sense?
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #11547
Voodoo Doll
High Jinx

Quote:
Ahhh I see. Well at least your have some form of hands on help. Lol! I don't know about knighted, because I have never done anything really hardcore. I have kinda repurposed a lot of things. Saves time and money.

I also like to sew by hand because you can easy fix a mistake that would otherwise take horrendous time with a machine. I have looked at getting machines before, but it is also my experience that you get what you pay for. If you want a good machine that will last, you need to shell out the money for it. It took me some time. There are certain things I don't care about, and then things like electronics...I try to buy the best brands because I want it to last forever. If that makes sense?

Sewing by hand takes a lot of time and patience, also you prick yourself a lot with the needle.
Hardcore? Making a whole cosplay by hand is hardcore in my opinion. With the sewing machine you can be done with sewing in about 2-4 hours. By hand I can't imagine how long. Dx
That's a good that you are reusing things to make you cosplay. That's what I call being green.

That's true, you can quickly fix mistakes. Yeah that makes sense. I want my sewing machine to last for a long time but I don't want anything to expensive because I'm thinking about asking for one as a birthday present. I'll try to look at some of the best brands and see if there's any close in my range, $50-100.

In-Progress~*

The Near-Future~*

Yui Hirasawa (K-On)

Unread 02-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #11548
AmeCassee
Lost, gone to find me.

Quote:
Sewing by hand takes a lot of time and patience, also you prick yourself a lot with the needle.
Hardcore? Making a whole cosplay by hand is hardcore in my opinion. With the sewing machine you can be done with sewing in about 2-4 hours. By hand I can't imagine how long. Dx
That's a good that you are reusing things to make you cosplay. That's what I call being green.

That's true, you can quickly fix mistakes. Yeah that makes sense. I want my sewing machine to last for a long time but I don't want anything to expensive because I'm thinking about asking for one as a birthday present. I'll try to look at some of the best brands and see if there's any close in my range, $50-100.
Why thank you! Oh you are making my skills sound far superior than they really are. Certain things do take longer, but I will say I cheat. I hide seams if I can and only sew one line, unless I think it needs two.

I hope you find a good machine, let me know what you wind up getting. I haven't looked at them in so long, so I have to do my research.
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #11549
Z-751

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums. Not new to cosplay; however this year will my official start to cosplaying and convention going. So far I've only been to Monster Mania as far as cons.

Anywho, this seems a good place to bring up an idea of mine. My husband and I own a fabric shop/workroom in Philadelphia. Right on 4th street's "Fabric Row." We have a craft/project zone in the back where we hold sewing classes in the spring and summer. Anyways! My idea is to provide space and tools for cosplayers and other costume enthusiasts to work together, meet new people and even find those to group/carpool with to conventions.

Visit, and even become a fan, our facebook page to keep up with updates. ^^
www.facebook.com/delvalcosplay
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #11550
AmeCassee
Lost, gone to find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-751 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums. Not new to cosplay; however this year will my official start to cosplaying and convention going. So far I've only been to Monster Mania as far as cons.

Anywho, this seems a good place to bring up an idea of mine. My husband and I own a fabric shop/workroom in Philadelphia. Right on 4th street's "Fabric Row." We have a craft/project zone in the back where we hold sewing classes in the spring and summer. Anyways! My idea is to provide space and tools for cosplayers and other costume enthusiasts to work together, meet new people and even find those to group/carpool with to conventions.

Visit, and even become a fan, our facebook page to keep up with updates. ^^
www.facebook.com/delvalcosplay
First, you are awesome. Second, I wished I lived closer.