Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #5221
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post
@Rurouni: I understand what you mean. Hell, I'm considered a Journeyman and even I wouldn't judge at a larger convention. If I had nothing to compete, I might consider judging at a smaller con or something, but I don't consider myself one to be a judge for something like, say, Otakon, for a while now.

And I've been making stuff for almost 8 years now. I really do need to get into our storage and find my really old stuff. ._. Oldest pictures I have are things I made a year ago.
I would NEVER want to judge at Otakon (Unless it was at a hall contest, like Feytaline did this past year). Especially as a performance judge. After a while, the skits start to blend together. I hear one of the judges totally glazed over a less than admirable Saiyuki skit and forgot it was even in the Masq. x.x

And I wonder if people would be irritated if they saw me judging at one con and competing at another. (Because I still want to compete)
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #5222
Mireillechan
Goodbye Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
I couldn't care less about catgirls at conventions, so what if they want to wear that ? they dont have a costume but they want to feel in the same great mood as the other cosplayers, they probably wont have the same great feeling as if they were really cosplayin but if they have fun then thats cool, as long as they behave and dont go yelling and jumping around.

I wore a hat with cat ears at a con and honestly it made me happy, AND because of that hat when I met my favorite comic book artist (humberto ramos) for an autograph he told me he loved my hat, we took a picture and even exchange email, and since that day we kept in touch.

I am not saying that all this occured only because of the hat, but I think it played a good role there, it grabbed his attention and thought it was cute.
But most of the cat girls are squealing, grabbing on to random male cosplayer, jumping up and down in the hallways, and half naked.

Those that just wear it and just walk around like normal people are fine with me, but the crazy ones just make me wish I had a taser on hand to make them stop and make'em behave themselves...In which I would probably be dragged out of the convention center for using. ^^;
Costumes:
Vocaloid - Gumi (Camellia) - 100%
Fairy Tail - Wendy(Edolas) - 100%
Fairy Tail - Leo the Lion - 10%
Fairy Tail - Natsu(???) - 0%
Mireillechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #5223
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box View Post
I would NEVER want to judge at Otakon (Unless it was at a hall contest, like Feytaline did this past year). Especially as a performance judge. After a while, the skits start to blend together. I hear one of the judges totally glazed over a less than admirable Saiyuki skit and forgot it was even in the Masq. x.x

And I wonder if people would be irritated if they saw me judging at one con and competing at another. (Because I still want to compete)
I do have to say that Otakon's costume contests are managed MUCH better than they were when the con first came to the BCC. The current masquerade staff do their jobs well and care that they have a good, smoothly run show. I've asked about the judging system and although I've never liked straight point systems, the categories are much more flexible than they used to. I've judged at that masquerade twice (once in 2000, then 2002) and there's been a major change once there was staff running the show who actually cared about cosplay. It's just such a big con, that it's naturally going to feel huge and overwhelming.
Judging itself is a straight-forward deal. If you have solid skills, you don't have to be an amazing master to look at someone's costume and know it's quality. However, judging is a huge time commitment and there's ALWAYS drama involved. These days, a lot of judges are experienced, award-winning cosplayers and get their spots by knowing someone on staff. There really is a lot of social connections involved when dealing with judging spots. But as huge as cosplaying is, the number of true Master/Craftsman that are still active in the community has always been a lagging number. It's very easy to take a break from competing to do other things instead of dealing with the requisite drama. Some get into judging or staffing, and a lot of people just decide it's not worth the fuss any more and stop attending cons. *shrugs*
As the head of cosplay at AMA, I'm always pulling in people that I personally know for judging. I try to fit my judges where I feel they are strong in their skills. But some years, I've had a hard time finding people that are coming to the con, so I make do sometimes. And that's not uncommon at other cons... And that's easy enough to complain about, but little to remedy.

To put a peeve spin on this tangent, I'd have to say as a master-level cosplayer, I'm disappointed with the fact that most of the cosplayers I competed against years ago just aren't around. Or they just don't compete. But getting older, leaving college and having a life do that to a person. Lots of really, REALLY good cosplayers just aren't around any more and those are the people I know would make good judges... I took a 2-year break from competing and the whole feel of competitions have changed. *sighs*
Tikki
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #5224
KomoriChu
~Neopet Fursuiter~

Quote:
I dunno, I might be a tad irritated. If I were a craftsman and saw someone who had judged me entering Journeyman at another con, I'd be frustrated. Elitist or not, to be competing at a level higher than your judge, it'd kinda' make you angry.
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:21 PM   #5225
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Tikki- Yeah, I would figure as much. Reaching Master/Craftsman class is pretty much hitting a plateau, because anime cons don't have anything above that/ a different category for that sort of costume.
AND THE DRAMU. Oh, lord, I know. It's almost amusing to sit around after the Otakon Masquerade (not so much drama from the Katsu masq) and some of the participants come storming out, ticked because they didn't win. Like I said, I'm hoping to wait until I win enough contests to be considered 'Master/Craftsman'.

And con-drama is much more annoying to deal with than the crap that goes on in the Masq/Skit discussion board.

Kumouri- I see what you mean, I really do. Normally, someone would step in and make the argument of "you don't need to be a chef to know what tastes good", but so much goes into the costuming process, right now, I would only feel comfortable judging performances because of my theatrical backround. And hopefully, no one would witch at me for being a performance judge.

(Though, quite honestly, I wouldn't be judging ANYTHING until probably Post-Otakon 08. Not because of entering a contest or anything. Just because the only con between Katsu and Ota for me is ANext, if it's going on while I'm still in the country. And I'm DEFINETLY competing at ANEXT, since I have to make wings for that costume..)

Peeve; pondering the cost of the feathers for these Tengu!Haruka wings. Oooh, gosh. What did I get myself into?

Also, when is next pattern sale? >.< Need a new 'kimono' pattern. I know I could make the pants for Season II finale Zuko if I wanted to. But I'm supposed to save money...

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 08-24-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #5226
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

Quote:
A friend of mine cosplayed a viera red mage from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, long before FFXII came out and everyone knew what viera were. Throughout the con, because of the long ears and red coat/hat, despite the fact that she looked like a viera red mage, people thought she was Freya from FFIX. Eventually she got tired of that, and taped a sign to her back saying "NOT FREYA".
I felt that way when cosplaying as Rocker Asuka since I was being mistaken for someone from FLCL (no character inparticular), Guitar Hero, Guilty Gear, etc. pretty much any anime/video game that has a character with a guitar.

Oh well, I did have some people know who I was =) But it does make me want to wear a sign around my neck saying who I am. But I guess I can't be angry since like no one's seen the figure so they wouldn't recognize the outfit.
ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #5227
Razia
*whistles*

Getting PM's from people saying only "WORST [name of character] EVER!" I know they just do it to be obnoxious, but why waste my time (and theirs) like that?

Planned costumes for MAGfest, 2008:
Elena/Reno (with the b/f)
Walter Sullivan (from Silent Hill 4)

Costumes I'll hopefully get around to some day, but God only knows when:
Sephiroth
Dawn
Edea
Milla/Sasha (with the b/f--from Psychonauts)
Sally (from Nightmare Before Christmas)
(subject to change ... repeatedly =P)
Razia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #5228
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

Quote:
Tikki- Yeah, I would figure as much. Reaching Master/Craftsman class is pretty much hitting a plateau, because anime cons don't have anything above that/ a different category for that sort of costume.
AND THE DRAMU. Oh, lord, I know. It's almost amusing to sit around after the Otakon Masquerade (not so much drama from the Katsu masq) and some of the participants come storming out, ticked because they didn't win. Like I said, I'm hoping to wait until I win enough contests to be considered 'Master/Craftsman'.

Kumouri- I see what you mean, I really do. Normally, someone would step in and make the argument of "you don't need to be a chef to know what tastes good", but so much goes into the costuming process, right now, I would only feel comfortable judging performances because of my theatrical backround. And hopefully, no one would witch at me for being a performance judge.
Oh, I think there was plenty of drama surrounding Katsu. Entries receiving mulitple awards while there were a LOT of really good entries that got zip for recognition... I didn't hear of anything from Otakon, except about one backstage rant. *shrugs*
But getting to Master isn't so much a plateau to me, because the division is usually small at events. Instead, it's really frustrating as to find good competition to go up against, it's pointless to try smaller venues. There's always a pile of novices, a few journeyman, and then a few master entries, so it's not like we have a lot of actual competition. Winning an award out of a division of 2-3 other masters is infinitely less satisfying and rewarding than from a division with say... 8-10? Besides, I've been frustrated as a judge looking at uneven divisions that have left us with giving awards practically by default to upper division entries...

My advice to anyone who's interested in judging: compete a LOT! So many anime masquerades are run differently that competing and doing well at multiple events gives you a wide variety of experience in it what it takes to earn an award. And seriously, what may blow others away at one event can fall flat at other masquerades, so try a variety of costumes/skits.
And don't rush! Regardless of your award-earned division level, you'll always hear some fuss about you competing ANYWHERE once you start joinging a judging panel. There's some really annoying mentality out there that once you start judging, you automatically retire from competing. I find that assinine. If you stop competing, a lot of new people get into the hobby that have no idea as to why and how you earned your place at a judging panel.
Tikki
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Unread 08-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #5229
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Tikki- Thank you! ^.^ It's nice to hear someone talk civily about the whole judging experience without someone jumping in and going "THIS CON HERE, IT HAVES BAAAAD JUDGES" for reasons other than they were poor at actually asking about craftsmanship things.
And I understand what you mean about the drama. I didn't hear much myself, I was just sort of dissapointed for the friend who organized the group and did such a lovely job mixing our audio (Gate Baby Magic, if anyone cared which skit we were), and, well...we didn't even get anything for that. Tech Award went to another, admittedly funny skit, that used the background on the stage for all of two or three things. I think Tech gave them the award because they parodied a Mac/PC ad. (And said as much)
But honestly, I didn't care as much about that as our poor group leader, who seems to ALWAYS overstress herself when we do skits. (Which is why I'm in charge this year). But I don't think that's cause for dramu. I'm really not one to go rant about the judges' choice.
(And I just remembered you were at Katsu, and did that DoA skit, Tikki! XD I don't know how I forgot that.)

Though my group and I are putting a lot into this Little Shop parody for Katsu, so some recognition by the judges would be nice. Especially since we've got a MEDUSA.

I try to compete as often as I can, but you don't get that many shots when you only go to two or three cons a year. XP

Peeve: I wish I knew who exactly was on-board for this skit. (I still don't know if the folks I originally wrote as D and Orcot are going to a skit with us). Come on LifeSize, get back to me on that! ^.^

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 08-25-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Unread 08-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #5230
driftgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzikumaru View Post
The stigma against fursuiters comes from the furry community which many fursuiters are apart of. This stigma is mostly unfounded and based on rumors or small percentages of less than sane furries. Many people who support this stigma do not understand that not all furries are fursuiters and vice versa, but then again, they were stupid enough to form those ideas to begin with so it's to be expected. The best treatment is to ignore the hate and keep on truckin'.

Well, That's also because of places like 4chan and Encyclopedia Dramatica (NSFW) not helping matters. Those guys love to bash the Furry community for the Lulz.

Otakon 2009 cosplays:
USCM Dropship Pilot- Aliens
N.O.O.S.E. agent- Grand Theft Auto IV

"Arms of the Octopus, Arms for your war!"

"Never a shot in the dark."
driftgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #5231
driftgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoshy View Post
Peeve: OC's.

I don't hate ALL OC's, but I can't stand the pull-out-closet-clothing-and-clame-to-be-part-of-some-fan-fiction-no-one-has-heard-about and get mad when no one knows/takes pictures of them. And the Mary-Sue ones. ''I'm related to Inuyahsa, naruto, Black cat, Ringo Starr, Severus Snape,and Murdoc" No..it dosn't work.
Though not quite an OC, I've encountered an apparent fan of my fanfiction Uzumaki Naruto, Konoha Marksman who sent me an e-mail stating they want to do a cosplay of Konoha Marksman Naruto! It's easy to beg to differ when someone else is cosplaying a character that you partly created, (since this is an AU fiction, so I changed some things about Naruto) because it's essentially like free advertising for your story.

Otakon 2009 cosplays:
USCM Dropship Pilot- Aliens
N.O.O.S.E. agent- Grand Theft Auto IV

"Arms of the Octopus, Arms for your war!"

"Never a shot in the dark."
driftgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #5232
LizardMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftgunner View Post
Though not quite an OC, I've encountered an apparent fan of my fanfiction Uzumaki Naruto, Konoha Marksman who sent me an e-mail stating they want to do a cosplay of Konoha Marksman Naruto! It's easy to beg to differ when someone else is cosplaying a character that you partly created, (since this is an AU fiction, so I changed some things about Naruto) because it's essentially like free advertising for your story.
OCs that stand out are fun. OCs that are just clothes-from-my-normal-closet aren't really. If you want to dress up like that it's fine, but just be aware nobody's going to notice.

Sometime in the near future (maybe 2008) I plan on doing a little self-promoting with a fursuit from my webcomic of a few years now, Divided Sky. I doubt I'll run into any existing fans (you never know...) but I hope to make some new ones!

Anyway to keep this on-topic for peeves...

Heads! I'm working like crazy on my Lizard Man head and it's driving me crazy that there is no good way to put vision ports on that guys head. It's going to be a pretty good mask but it's going to have to have these big black "tear duct" panels so I can actually see, and Lizard Man just doesn't have those! Oh well...
LizardMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #5233
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

Quote:
Tikki- Thank you! ^.^ It's nice to hear someone talk civily about the whole judging experience without someone jumping in and going "THIS CON HERE, IT HAVES BAAAAD JUDGES" for reasons other than they were poor at actually asking about craftsmanship things.
But honestly, I didn't care as much about that as our poor group leader, who seems to ALWAYS overstress herself when we do skits. (Which is why I'm in charge this year). But I don't think that's cause for dramu. I'm really not one to go rant about the judges' choice.
(And I just remembered you were at Katsu, and did that DoA skit, Tikki! XD I don't know how I forgot that.)
*shrugs* I must admit to having some pretty uncivil opinions about a few things that happened at Katsu, specifically due to private comments that upset myself and my group (which we took it very personally, unfortunately...), as well as a few things we found out post-con. But there's no reason to air it out on a public forum. I've vented enough elsewhere and well, none of that changes the outcome of the masquerade anyway! So we just focused our energy on Otakon and I can't say that we're not happy with the results.
As for forgetting the DoA skit... meh... *shrugs again* We put a lot of work into that project but there were so many little failures with our plans and what eventually made it on stage, that I can't really say it was our best work. Of our three martial arts skits, it was definitely the dud, even though we choreographed much more in-game references into that little sketch than both our Street Fighter skits put together. And because it was so specific, I can see why the judges glossed over us. Street Fighter just appealed more to the audience and beyond, so we did well with those.

I can only say that as you work with your friends, make sure to delegate a LOT! Taking charge to ease stress on one person is one thing, but don't take on all of it. You'll find yourself in the same spot and stressing over a cosplay project can keep you from enjoying the con. And it will definitely mess with your group and cause unnecessary drama. I've never had a set cosplay group/troupe that I work with over the years, just because I've seen so much group drama ruin a lot friendships. Now that my dojo buddies finished our Street Fighter ideas, we're back to just hanging out and training at the dojo. And not having to make 4-5 costumes by myself for one skit is nice... *big sigh*
Tikki
Unread 08-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #5234
BloodySeraph
eweryvere und novere...

i hate cheap wigs. a bad wig is not only hot and itchy to wear, but it looks fake too. then they are also harder to keep neat, they static easy, especailly the long ones.
BloodySeraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #5235
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikki View Post
*shrugs* I must admit to having some pretty uncivil opinions about a few things that happened at Katsu, specifically due to private comments that upset myself and my group (which we took it very personally, unfortunately...), as well as a few things we found out post-con. But there's no reason to air it out on a public forum. I've vented enough elsewhere and well, none of that changes the outcome of the masquerade anyway! So we just focused our energy on Otakon and I can't say that we're not happy with the results.
As for forgetting the DoA skit... meh... *shrugs again* We put a lot of work into that project but there were so many little failures with our plans and what eventually made it on stage, that I can't really say it was our best work. Of our three martial arts skits, it was definitely the dud, even though we choreographed much more in-game references into that little sketch than both our Street Fighter skits put together. And because it was so specific, I can see why the judges glossed over us. Street Fighter just appealed more to the audience and beyond, so we did well with those.

I can only say that as you work with your friends, make sure to delegate a LOT! Taking charge to ease stress on one person is one thing, but don't take on all of it. You'll find yourself in the same spot and stressing over a cosplay project can keep you from enjoying the con. And it will definitely mess with your group and cause unnecessary drama. I've never had a set cosplay group/troupe that I work with over the years, just because I've seen so much group drama ruin a lot friendships. Now that my dojo buddies finished our Street Fighter ideas, we're back to just hanging out and training at the dojo. And not having to make 4-5 costumes by myself for one skit is nice... *big sigh*
Tikki

^.^ I didn't mean it like that. I tend to lose track of what skit was done where. For what it's worth, ALL of Katsu's skits were very good (and I'm not just saying that because I was in the masq). And yours was brilliant in choreography; but I don't know if Katsu really is a place that would be best to perform such a thing.
It was stunning, and very well done. My brain just gets scrambled some times. (And I'm starting school and doubting that I should be majoring in theatre and thinking about switching to web design...or something..Xp)

And I do agree; You want to vent about why you deserved to win? GO TO LJ. It welcomes the drama, hell, it encourages it. I do recall seeing an LJ Icon that read "LJHS: We can turn ANYTHING into the end of the world". I just..well, our skit didn't really have anything that I could fault the judges for docking points/giving less points for.

We try not to have a set group either; it just ends up that the same five of us end up rooming together a lot. We can't help being dorks. And it's just a matter of knowing what our final cast is. (Our prospective Orcot and D are actually engaged to each other). Once I can send out the script and have the others look at it and have their input, it's much easier to have one person do our sound mixing, like always, and another to work on blocking along with me, and since everyone makes their own costumes in our group...that's not an issue.

And I really only have one or two other friends who go to cons a lot who would want to do a skit..and one is..slightly psychotic about skit prep. (I've been part of two of her skits. No more, ^.^ Sweet girl, but she needs to chill)

Really, after the whole thing gets set in motion, the most I have to do is keep bugging folks to keep on their responsiblity, and be time keeper on deadlines (like, when the audio has to be in, and when at con we need to go to rehearsal). I don't tend to worry about whether we'll win something.

It's just getting the ball rolling that's the problem. And some of our group need reference pictures (which I agreed to gather, and I will; when the earlier PSoH volumes come back to the library) still.