Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 07-07-2006, 06:56 AM   #16
EJ Shin

I'm a film guy all the way. I shoot on 35mm and have yet to try larger formats. My uncle owns a color lab which makes getting prints and negative scans easy and affordable.

A good film SLR is about the price of some digital point and shoot cameras. I got my EOS-1N for under 200 bucks. If you want to learn a lot about photography, I suggest getting a fully manual camera and a light meter.

Here are the two cameras I use

Canon AE-1 - This one belonged to my dad. It's mostly manual, but it does have a program mode for aperature and shutterspeed. Focus is manual which means you spend more time with composition as you try to find focus. Not the greatest w/ flash, but it's a sturdy camera and light too. I own a set of lenses with this one including a 28mm, 50mm, and 85mm.

Canon EOS 1N - This is my war machine. It's rugged, built like a tank, and really easy to use. Because of my training on the AE-1, I use this camera mostly in manual mode w/ autofocus. I have a light meter that I use to check light with. However, when I'm at a con, I just pop a flash on w/ an omnibounce and set it in program mode. Checking for perfect lighting in run and gun situations might piss off your subjects. For this camera I have a 420EZ Speedlite, 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 80-200mm zoom lens.

I'm a big fan of prime lenses for their speed and affordability. The zoom lenses are either grossly expensive or really built cheap. If I'm at a con, I usually keep my 50mm on as it is perfect for most situations.

I like to control and set up lights, and if my photos are done at home or anywhere else with friends, I make sure I meter everything and run everything in manual mode.

Last edited by EJ Shin : 07-07-2006 at 06:58 AM.
EJ Shin is offline   Reply With Quote