Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
Scunosi

I think Simplicity if not other pattern companies is starting to realize how big cosplay has gotten and it wouldn't surprise me if the demographics for their sales are swinging away from little old ladies making quilts and more into young people making costumes. They've been selling generic or knock-off costume patterns for years now and seem to get more and more official or fancy ones every day.

I will say I'm pretty surprised to see this as I've never seen it in stores, so I wonder if it's online-only? The only pattern of theirs I knew had armor was the Zelda one and that made since as an accessory. But you know they (or another company) also have patterns now just for hats, and belts/bags (like AoT-style)? So they've really been leaning into the cosplay stuff.

I for one think it's cool, 'cuz armor is the one thing I haven't worked too much with still and it's kind of intimidating to me. I know you can find lots of tutorials online but you know what an official pattern company will have that they don't? Well, hopefully anyway? Standardized measurements and pattern pieces. No "eyeball a shape that looks approximately like this blog," you can just trace out the actual pattern piece. Again, hopefully at least since I don't actually have the pattern, but still. Plus a lot of tutorials these days are video-only and what if someone wants a pattern they can just pull out and refer to?

It is a shame it seems to be just Misses for now, I'm not sure that even goes up to my size, but I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm at Joann's for sure.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Princess Peach-New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #17
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAngel View Post
So again, a part of me is glad that armor got introduced as a pattern. Just don't know why they started it now and not when they started the steampunk and gothic lolita patterns when they could have just as easily added it then?
No, they couldn't have just as easily added it then.

Simplicity is a company that has to look to its bottom line and cost/risk values. No matter how much some bright mind in a marketing meeting would tell them that cosplay is where sewing is going and that's where they should apply their new lines, the company would have to see through actual sales figures that yes, this IS in fact where sewing is going and they should jump on the bandwagon. That said, there is a process to patterns that a lot of people don't understand. First, someone proposes the idea. Then they do research to find out if they'll make money on the idea. Then they have to go to their current stable of pattern-drafters to find out if any of them have the expertise to tackle it, the schedule to do so, and the will to actually get it done. If they don't have anyone currently in-house who can and will do the pattern, they have to farm it out (e.g. to Firefly Path). Then, it takes literally months to draft, test, redraft, retest, and work out all the bugs in the pattern before the pattern-drafter has the sloper to take to the company to mass produce. This armor pattern likely has been in in the works for a year if not two or three.

Consider that all the pattern companies have been providing rip-off versions of popular movie characters for decades, now, but they're always slightly behind the trend. It used to be, 20 years ago when I was a wee college child learning to sew Jedi robes, that the pattern companies pulled all costume patterns during certain months of the year and only offered them at Halloween! It took them time to realize the value in keeping costume patterns in the book year-round, then to draft character patterns for things other than movies, then to actually pursue the license with Disney, followed by Marvel and now Nintendo, and THEN to actually actively cater to cosplayers. Consider that the hakama patterns (which are terrible by the way) only came out in 2017 using models wearing Bleach costumes - after Bleach had already ended and faded from popularity. The companies aren't used to being on the cutting edge of trends, they're always years behind no matter what because even if someone in marketing has some idea what's going to be popular this year, it still takes months and months and months to actually create the pattern before it's ready to go into the book and into the drawers.

So, really, they used the steampunk shit to test the market. Once that did well, they felt more confident in taking risks. That's why they're only giving no-sew armor a try now.

(and for the record there have been no-sew children's costume patterns since the 1970s, you just might not know about them because you've never needed one)

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #18
Sapphirecatgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
It's also SO generic, because it has to be! So everyone who has to heavily modify this pattern for a specific character might find the flaws in the pattern.

Upshot being, I'm all for things that help beginners learn but I'm also hella wary because I know how Simplicity actually works behind the scenes. I know how patterns go from an idea to an envelope in the drawer at Joann's. I don't know this person they've contracted to design the pattern and build the model, I've never heard of their work the way I've heard of Firefly Path and Arrivestri. So, my personal jury is out until I snap one up at the next 99 cent sale, cut out the pieces, and read the instructions.
Granted, if the design is TOO uniques, then something like the Lolita pattern controversy pops up. CapsuleCorp; would you be able to explain how Simplicity works with their pattern ideas? I'm genuinely curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaflora View Post
It's a good thing, as everyone else has mentioned already. About "going too mainstream," a company has to stay afloat somehow. With fast fashion, the cost of fabric and materials nowadays is extremely high compared to the price of a ready-to-wear piece that is identical to what you want to make. Less people are sewing out of necessity (Why would you, when it's cheaper and less of a hassle to buy it ready made?), and as a hobby it is expensive so not people can sustain it. Because of this, not many people buy the patterns for clothing anymore. So what do you do? Try to get into another market to get more customers to buy your products. Something that allows people to make things that are not readily available, and would actually be cheaper to make than to buy. What's that market that seems to be increasing each year? Cosplay. With the inclusion of Yaya Han, Firefly Path, and all the other very well known cosplayers and costumers, they have been tapping into a new market and drawing in new consumers. Costume-armor making is just the next step for them.
Absolutely considering how much pattern companies have jumped into making cosplay related patterns. Some people also need a base for building upon a new skill and in this case- armor making

Upcoming or In Progress Costumes
Peridot (Steven Universe)....... 75% Done
Esther Blanchett (Trinity Blood) .............45% Done
Sapphirecatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #19
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Quote:
No, they couldn't have just as easily added it then.

Simplicity is a company that has to look to its bottom line and cost/risk values. No matter how much some bright mind in a marketing meeting would tell them that cosplay is where sewing is going and that's where they should apply their new lines, the company would have to see through actual sales figures that yes, this IS in fact where sewing is going and they should jump on the bandwagon. That said, there is a process to patterns that a lot of people don't understand. First, someone proposes the idea. Then they do research to find out if they'll make money on the idea. Then they have to go to their current stable of pattern-drafters to find out if any of them have the expertise to tackle it, the schedule to do so, and the will to actually get it done. If they don't have anyone currently in-house who can and will do the pattern, they have to farm it out (e.g. to Firefly Path). Then, it takes literally months to draft, test, redraft, retest, and work out all the bugs in the pattern before the pattern-drafter has the sloper to take to the company to mass produce. This armor pattern likely has been in in the works for a year if not two or three.

Consider that all the pattern companies have been providing rip-off versions of popular movie characters for decades, now, but they're always slightly behind the trend. It used to be, 20 years ago when I was a wee college child learning to sew Jedi robes, that the pattern companies pulled all costume patterns during certain months of the year and only offered them at Halloween! It took them time to realize the value in keeping costume patterns in the book year-round, then to draft character patterns for things other than movies, then to actually pursue the license with Disney, followed by Marvel and now Nintendo, and THEN to actually actively cater to cosplayers. Consider that the hakama patterns (which are terrible by the way) only came out in 2017 using models wearing Bleach costumes - after Bleach had already ended and faded from popularity. The companies aren't used to being on the cutting edge of trends, they're always years behind no matter what because even if someone in marketing has some idea what's going to be popular this year, it still takes months and months and months to actually create the pattern before it's ready to go into the book and into the drawers.

So, really, they used the steampunk shit to test the market. Once that did well, they felt more confident in taking risks. That's why they're only giving no-sew armor a try now.

(and for the record there have been no-sew children's costume patterns since the 1970s, you just might not know about them because you've never needed one)
Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks for that clarification in that regard CapsuleCorp. So basically, it's kind of like us when we have to draft patterns from scratch, only theirs are a little more advanced in that respect. Not to mention that they have to test the market somehow, which lead to the steampunk and gothic lolita sewing patterns, which then lead to the Sailor scout uniform, etc.

It's like, I knew that there was research involved when it came to pattern making. I just really didn't realize of how advanced and tedious it really was. Thanks for that

Now if my memory serves me right, I think the kimono pattern has always been there from the start until the person who decided to invest in the cosplay aspect of it is when it kind of got an extra boost, possibly? Idk, it's probably just me

Tidus from FFX-2 (Perfect ending)

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #20
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

No problem. It's information I came into while trying to do my own research on things I generally dislike about patterns, and following Andrea Schewe's sewing blog. Always happy to share - because there's nothing wrong with learning more, is there?

Sapphirecatgirl - I'm by no means an expert but from following Andrea Schewe - who happens to be the very person who drafted a lot of our favorite costume patterns, her name-stamp is somewhere on the envelope - I've learned how the pattern companies have to do their own legwork. For one, they have to go through their out of print library to make sure they haven't already drafted something exactly like it before. For another, they CAN'T make patterns too much like the costume they're using for inspiration unless they get the license. That's the difference between the Marvel and Disney licensed costumes even having the right superhero logos included and the "rip-off" LOTR/Hobbit or Game of Thrones costumes being...almost but not quite right. Look at the "Organization" coat pattern, the seams are all wrong and there's a weird center yoke in the middle of the body that shouldn't be there. Legally, to avoid being sued, the pattern has to be different enough. Also, what I found interesting, is that drafters like Andrea have to compensate to make every pattern useful for the greatest range of sizes using the least amount of pattern tissue possible. So, that's why things are often simplified or built with terribly incorrect seams - they have to draft it that way so they can sell a single pattern with sizes S-XL wadded inside instead of perfectly-fit individual patterns in each size.

There's a lot of hidden info that becomes really useful to cosplayers out there, you just have to know whose blog or Facebook to follow.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #21
lunaflora

Quote:
following Andrea Schewe - who happens to be the very person who drafted a lot of our favorite costume patterns, her name-stamp is somewhere on the envelope - I've learned how the pattern companies have to do their own legwork.
Side note: I love following Andrea Schewe's blog. It's some very interesting behind-the-scenes stuff. Some of her tips and processes are very useful to learn too.
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #22
vonjankmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerofdarknes View Post
Well, my FIRST thought upon checking out the site was "Is there a men's version?" (Sadly, there isn't.)
I had the same thought, did a search for armor and it's really just that one pattern set and then the Zelda rip off, nothing for us men yet. I think this is fantastic. I hopped neck deep into using EVA foam and have had a bunch of pieces I had to toss at first because I had little to no idea what I was doing. Having a simple pattern with some basic instructions could provide a gentle introduction for people into using foam for cosplays, which means more people cosplaying, which is nothing but good.
vonjankmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #23
benignthespian

As others have said, I think it's important to make the hobby more accesible to new people, and this is a great way to do so. (My coworkers have heard me complain about how Yaya fabric is priced really high for this exact reason; taking what SHOULD be an accesible hobby and having the only fabric in the entire store specifically designed for that hobby by a cosplayer priced at 20, 30, 40 dollars a yard UGH.) It's interesting that a primarily sewing-based company is doing armor patterns, though. It's possible they've seen other companies do this. I know McCall's, for example, has a few armor patterns as well-- though they are specifically marked as being part of the McCall's "Cosplay" line.

Current Projects: --Vulpix Gijinka--Beast Boy--Howl--

Next Conventions: --Fanime--Anime Expo--
benignthespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #24
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benignthespian View Post
As others have said, I think it's important to make the hobby more accesible to new people, and this is a great way to do so. (My coworkers have heard me complain about how Yaya fabric is priced really high for this exact reason; taking what SHOULD be an accesible hobby and having the only fabric in the entire store specifically designed for that hobby by a cosplayer priced at 20, 30, 40 dollars a yard UGH.) It's interesting that a primarily sewing-based company is doing armor patterns, though. It's possible they've seen other companies do this. I know McCall's, for example, has a few armor patterns as well-- though they are specifically marked as being part of the McCall's "Cosplay" line.
I avoid buying Yaya's fabric for the most part. x_x Even if some of the fabrics I could use, I'm not paying that price. ;_; So if I find much cheaper fabric that's slightly off, oh well, it's my cosplay, after all. xD

And huh, so if McCall's has done armor patterns, then yeah, other pattern companies are sure gonna look into it. XD

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

"Looks like today we're clockin' out early!" -Reno

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #25
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelx624 View Post
I avoid buying Yaya's fabric for the most part. x_x Even if some of the fabrics I could use, I'm not paying that price. ;_;
That Ultrapreme though...

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Princess Peach-New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #26
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benignthespian View Post
I know McCall's, for example, has a few armor patterns as well-- though they are specifically marked as being part of the McCall's "Cosplay" line.
The only Mcalls armor patterns I've been able to find are two these, unless I'm missing something?

https://cosplay.mccall.com/calista-k...p?page_id=5923

https://cosplay.mccall.com/calista-k...p?page_id=5504

Personally I think the simplicity one is more useful being that it's more generic and thus easier to modify to what you want, and it also includes arm and leg armor which the Mcalls patterns don't seem to do. Though the Mcalls one does have a neck piece and a Valkyrie type helmet, so there's that. I ran across a few other patterns that looked like they could decently fake armor with fabric or leather, but these were the only ones I found using traditional cosplay armor materials (worbla, eva foam, etc.).

Current Cosplays: Sheena Fujibayashi (young/successor version)

Upcoming Cosplays: Suzu Fujibayashi, Team Magma Grunt, White Mage

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon

Conventions Attended:

Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Anime Midwest 2018
(Nov) Daisho Con 2018
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote