Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
HidingintheMist
A lion still has claws

Female characters in wheelchairs?

So, my friend really wants to go to Anime Expo 2011 and cosplay, but we have a bit of a dilemma. She might be in a wheelchair, so she doesn't want to do a character she'd ordinarily consider. A female character in a wheelchair would be best. Also, a tall male character from the same series would be appreciated, since her boyfriend would most likely be with her.

She's okay with wigs.

Things she does not want: short hair, too intricate of an outfit

Any idea on female characters in wheelchairs would be much appreciated!

Her: http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...3/IMG_2166.jpg

Last edited by HidingintheMist : 12-09-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: fixed link
HidingintheMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Sakura Blizzard
Remember Monty Oum

That one boys sister from Code Geass. She's in a wheelchair right? And has brown wavy hair. Forgot her name sorry.
Sakura Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
marshmallowpie
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrling

Yeah, Nunally seems good, especially seeing that her boyfriend could be Lelouch or Suzaku, they're both rather tall.
marshmallowpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
DaemonForce
Unhealed

I think it's Yagami.

Or am I thinking of Death Note? Those kind of run together for me since I watched so little of them. o.O

Anyway this gives her a chance to have fun with it because the character doesn't have to be portrayed in a series like that to be recognized.

I'm sure Mariko & Misaki(Elfen Lied) are on the list. Rei and Asuka(Evangelion) are battered around to a critical point more than a few times. I'm sure all the pilots were in wheelchairs since they were all in bandages at some point but they probably didn't want to convey that and just skipped to other parts of the story. Play with this however you like.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

it's not until you mention it that I realized all the film characters I've ever seen who were in wheelchairs are male (at least in this genre). huh, that's strange. Would she be open to doing a female version of one of those male characters (not crossplay, just a female interpretation)? I've also seen several people who are confined to wheelchairs do some wonderful steampunk costumes, where they steam up the chair. That might be more elaborate than she wants though.

btw, I tried the link twice and it brings up a 404 error, not her picture.
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
LeekFish
Clow Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce View Post
I think it's Yagami.

Or am I thinking of Death Note? Those kind of run together for me since I watched so little of them. o.O
Well in your defense, Sayu Yagami is shown in a wheelchair at some point. xD
LeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
DaemonForce
Unhealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoredHeart View Post
Well in your defense, Sayu Yagami is shown in a wheelchair at some point. xD
Ugh....Figgurz! >.<'

*poke*
*prod
*stabby stab stab*

I think colors are making me high. x_X'

NinjaEdit: Yeah, they are.
Unread 12-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
TR Rose
Meowing About

I've seen mermaid cosplayers in wheelchairs - not able to walk with the fin costume over their legs.
10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Rose View Post
I've seen mermaid cosplayers in wheelchairs - not able to walk with the fin costume over their legs.
that's a great idea! a mermaid fin is a costume that works best in a seated position, it would be utilizing the chair instead of trying to avoid it.
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

(POSSIBLE SPOILER's) in Text??

(RENA RUNE) *Genesis of Aquarion* : A pale, young girl who is wheelchair-bound, Rena is blind and has the hair color and sensitivity to light of an albino. She can see people's auras and read the "Book of Holy Genesis", scriptures containing the history of the conflict that occurred between the Shadow Angels and humans 12,000 years ago. The other Element Users at DEAVA are intimidated by her stoic, mysterious presence, with the exception of Apollo. While she does not specifically state this, Rena is perhaps a vampire, who admits she needs blood for nourishment when the moon is full and her will weak, alongside the trademark fangs of a vampire. Her main power/s as an Element allows her to levitate, teleport and (regrettably) drain prana from people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(SHUKO SUZUHARA) *Angelic Layer* : Shuko is Misaki's mother and Shoko's elder sister. She is 31 years old. In the anime, it is explained that Shuko left a 5-year-old Misaki to be taken care of her grandparents under the guise of work, when in reality she was going to Tokyo in order to find a way to cure the neurological disease she had been inflicted with. This disease inhibits nerve signals from reaching to or from her legs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(MASHIRO KAZAHANA) *My-Hime* : Mashiro is the young director of Fuka Academy. She uses a wheelchair.
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
DaemonForce
Unhealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Rose View Post
I usually see them try their luck on the main floor. But now that you've described this it kind of makes sense to have a wheelchair ready for those kind of restrictive costumes. But still, it still sucks though. I like it.

Personally I'm looking forward to the crippled Asuka idea. It would be perfect if your friend has a drop dead gorgeous face too. I don't know if it's because my first job involved wheelchair people or because I like Eva but the idea has quickly grown on me for some reason. It's like throwing Tinkerbell in a wooden box and shaking the **** out of her but a broken fighter pilot instead. Put her in a metal chair and further desecrating her by tearing their wings off saying **** you.

The standard schoolgirl dress with tons of bandages and a bloodied doll would look good and shockingly easy to recognize. I can kind of picture a Shinji dancing next to her and then getting a surprise baseball bat to both kneecaps. :/
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
kiratsukai
culture shocked

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=223457

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
MissJava
Still broke. D:

I may be remembering wrong, but wasn't Batwomen confined to a wheelchair later in the series after a spinal injury or something?? That'd be pretty cool. : D
MissJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Miki Starwind

Nunnally, from Code Geass
Her hair is pretty long, wavy, and very feminine and pretty. She has a few different outfits you could pick from, some a bit more intricate than others. Most are cute, frilly long dresses. Nothing poofy like a princess gown, but if this is her first cosplay, she might find a few of the dresses a bit challenging.

Also, you and her boyfriend can be other characters from the show (there's Lelouch and Suzaku for him, and you've got your pick of C2, Kallen, Shirley, or Milly.)

Sayu Yagami (post-traumatic event), from Death Note
Near the end of the series, (Spoiler, highlight to read -->) she is kidnapped, which proves to be a VERY traumatic event for her. After this, in her last appearance in the anime, she is in a wheelchair.

As far as outfits go, Sayu is REALLY easy. A "closet" cosplay, really. As for same-series companions, you've got Misa and Wedy for girls, and Light or L (or Matsuda or anyone else from the investigation team) for guys. Many DN fans love to ship her with Matsuda, so she could even get some cute couple pics with her guy.

The only problem I see with Sayu is that this particular version of her was seen for all of five seconds only, and her clothes are very normal; so... she absolutely NEEDS to have Misa and Light around with her to be recognized, or else she'll pass as just a normal non-cosplayer. And, even then, there's no guarantee every DN fan you come across will remember that scene.

Rei (injured), from Evangelion
Well, really, she was on a stretcher when she was injured in the first episode. But she was injured very badly, and I would expect her to have been on a wheelchair if they hadn't been rushing to get her into the Eva unit. Asuka and Shinji are the obvious choices for cosplay partners (Misato and Gendo are good options, too.) Though Rei has REALLY short hair.

I also looked around Google, and came across these. I'm not familiar with them, so I can't tell you anything about them. :/

- Midori Kinoshita, from Hoshiuta. Apparently, it's a hentai game, but it's a cute character design, if your guys don't mind the adult theme.
- Madame Suliman, from Howl's Moving Castle.
- Mariko Kurama, from Elfen Lied.
- Helen, from Sonic X.
- Ikuno Komaki, from To Heart.
- Mana Kuzumi, from Okami Kakushi.

// coming soon... //
Mimi Tachikawa // Digimon Adventure 02
Shadowcat (Ultimate) // X-Men

Selling: Thigh-high black boots, dark brown Maxine wig.
Miki Starwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
MaryRyanBogard
A misfit among misfits

When I think "female anime character in a wheelchair", the first one that always comes to mind for me is (not using spoiler tags because, seriously, this is something that came out in 1997) Mariemaia at the end of "Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz". I'm surprised nobody's mentioned her yet.

Ginny Weasley and the Midnight Magic Party- the closest thing to a website I have right now.
MaryRyanBogard is offline   Reply With Quote