Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #1
Brutal
Edgy Rival

What's more important to you when choosing your next cosplay?

As the title states, what's more important to you when choosing your next cosplay? The character's appearance or personality? Are you willing to cosplay a character who looks silly or unappealing to you because of their personality? Are you willing to a cosplay a character who's appearance appeals to you, but not their personality?
- Mini Con (Miniversary)
- Metrocon
- Outcon
- Anime Weekend Atlanta
- Holiday Matsuri

Follow me on Instagram!
Add me on Facebook!

"We all live in a delusion, As life holds nothing but death..." - Austere
Brutal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
Zoeyromanov

For me, it's a very lose description of the word 'important'. I usually just cosplay characters based off their outfits, but characters I really do like, but most of all the budget/capability of the costume. I currently don't have the skills to make D!va or Tracer from Overwatch; and definitely not live-action Wonder Woman, but I'm able to make something moderate like Elsa from Frozen.
I also choose characters I can relate to as well, and they're currently in my lineup for this year so that makes it more fun. But I typically choose cosplays that are eye catching (to me) and wonder if I can spend the money on the costume. If not, as much as I love said character, they'd have to be scrapped for the time being.
I don't feel right choosing characters that I don't really like, unless in extremely rare cases like doing it for friend because then I wasted money on a costume I didn't really want to make over another one I preferred instead.
But yeah I'm pretty open on who I'd like to cosplay most of the time, just gotta make sure I got the funds to make it xD

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains
Ryoken Kogami/Revolver (genderbent), Yugioh Vrains
Shay Obsidian (genderbent), Yugioh Arc-V

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 03-25-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
Brutal
Edgy Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
For me, it's a very lose description of the word 'important'. I usually just cosplay characters based off their outfits, but characters I really do like, but most of all the budget/capability of the costume. I currently don't have the skills to make D!va or Tracer from Overwatch; and definitely not live-action Wonder Woman, but I'm able to make something moderate like Elsa from Frozen.
I also choose characters I can relate to as well, and they're currently in my lineup for this year so that makes it more fun. But I typically choose cosplays that are eye catching (to me) and wonder if I can spend the money on the costume. If not, as much as I love said character, they'd have to be scrapped for the time being.
I don't feel right choosing characters that I don't really like, unless in extremely rare cases like doing it for friend because then I wasted money on a costume I didn't really want to make over another one I preferred instead.
But yeah I'm pretty open on who I'd like to cosplay most of the time, just gotta make sure I got the funds to make it xD
Kind of sounds like either/or for you, but overall you'd rather choose a character who's outfit you like, correct? But yeah, skill and funds definitely play a factor as well.
- Mini Con (Miniversary)
- Metrocon
- Outcon
- Anime Weekend Atlanta
- Holiday Matsuri

Follow me on Instagram!
Add me on Facebook!

Unread 03-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
walkerofdarknes

My first consideration when choosing a cosplay is "Can I still wear my glasses with it?" While I'm not blind without them, I'm also loathe to use contacts (long story), and prolonged non-use tends to leave my head throbbing.

After that, then I go through a mental checklist:
1. Are my skills capable of making it? (The answer is usually no since I'm rather novice at this stuff, but I move on to question 2.)
2. Can I make that in a reasonable budget? (By which I define as under $300 in materials including new tools.)
3. Can I make it in a reasonable timeframe? (Because life tends to happen to me TOO often, so I need to make sure that I can throw it together when s*** keeps me from working on.)
4. Will I be learning something new in terms of technique? (Again, I'm a novice, so the answer is yes.)
5. Do I think I can do the costume justice? This is a hard one, really. I'm not exactly the guy you expect to be running around shirtless. In fact, I've been told a couple of times to put ON a shirt...Despite my many attempts to control my body, it still runs rampant. So I make sure my costume can at least hide my shameful body, and/or still afford me some measure of pride at doing it.
6. Do I relate to the character? This isn't that big a consideration, but it does hang in there a little. I mean, if I have major doubts by now, then I wouldn't get to this question. A lot of this answer comes back to the "do the costume justice" question in my mind. But I have to have a little connection to the character for me to want to do it. Which explains a lot about my character selections, now that I read what I just typed.....
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Respawning

I think it's more a combination of those factors, I generally choose characters I relate to/admire, with costumes that appeal to me either in terms of looks or challenge.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Character personality means exactly zip, zero, and zilch when it comes to cosplay.

Granted, I don't cosplay characters I'm not a fan of at all, but being a fan of the character doesn't mean I'm going to love their outfit and want to dress up like them for a day. Being a fan of the character doesn't mean I'm not going to think "dude did you get dressed in the dark today what IS that outfit??" Case in point: Sanji. I have about 8 of his outfits but like hell I'm ever going to make his ugly orange jacket and yellow pants from the Zou arc.

That said, there are other reasons to cosplay. Challenging oneself. Doing an outfit no one else does. Trying to nail something other cosplayers miss. Just got dang loving that character or that game/show/source. Designing a mashup or new version of the character. Some people do any or all of the above at some point and some people just restrict themselves to one factor for...idk reasons. I've been doing this almost 20 years, I don't have the time or budget to bother with anything I'm not going to enjoy wearing.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
Brutal
Edgy Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerofdarknes View Post
My first consideration when choosing a cosplay is "Can I still wear my glasses with it?" While I'm not blind without them, I'm also loathe to use contacts (long story), and prolonged non-use tends to leave my head throbbing.

After that, then I go through a mental checklist:
1. Are my skills capable of making it? (The answer is usually no since I'm rather novice at this stuff, but I move on to question 2.)
2. Can I make that in a reasonable budget? (By which I define as under $300 in materials including new tools.)
3. Can I make it in a reasonable timeframe? (Because life tends to happen to me TOO often, so I need to make sure that I can throw it together when s*** keeps me from working on.)
4. Will I be learning something new in terms of technique? (Again, I'm a novice, so the answer is yes.)
5. Do I think I can do the costume justice? This is a hard one, really. I'm not exactly the guy you expect to be running around shirtless. In fact, I've been told a couple of times to put ON a shirt...Despite my many attempts to control my body, it still runs rampant. So I make sure my costume can at least hide my shameful body, and/or still afford me some measure of pride at doing it.
6. Do I relate to the character? This isn't that big a consideration, but it does hang in there a little. I mean, if I have major doubts by now, then I wouldn't get to this question. A lot of this answer comes back to the "do the costume justice" question in my mind. But I have to have a little connection to the character for me to want to do it. Which explains a lot about my character selections, now that I read what I just typed.....
I feel you on the contacts thing. I mean I don't wear glasses, but I'm terrible with contacts and sometimes give people give me grief about cosplaying certain characters and not wearing contacts to match their eye color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
I think it's more a combination of those factors, I generally choose characters I relate to/admire, with costumes that appeal to me either in terms of looks or challenge.
That's similar to how I feel. Although, I feel like I rarely relate to fictional characters, so it's more of the admiration thing and costumes that appeal. Not so much challenges lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Character personality means exactly zip, zero, and zilch when it comes to cosplay.

Granted, I don't cosplay characters I'm not a fan of at all, but being a fan of the character doesn't mean I'm going to love their outfit and want to dress up like them for a day. Being a fan of the character doesn't mean I'm not going to think "dude did you get dressed in the dark today what IS that outfit??" Case in point: Sanji. I have about 8 of his outfits but like hell I'm ever going to make his ugly orange jacket and yellow pants from the Zou arc.

That said, there are other reasons to cosplay. Challenging oneself. Doing an outfit no one else does. Trying to nail something other cosplayers miss. Just got dang loving that character or that game/show/source. Designing a mashup or new version of the character. Some people do any or all of the above at some point and some people just restrict themselves to one factor for...idk reasons. I've been doing this almost 20 years, I don't have the time or budget to bother with anything I'm not going to enjoy wearing.
Hm, that's understandable. I wouldn't say personality doesn't matter at all, but liking the outfit being top priority does make sense.
- Mini Con (Miniversary)
- Metrocon
- Outcon
- Anime Weekend Atlanta
- Holiday Matsuri

Follow me on Instagram!
Add me on Facebook!

Unread 03-26-2018, 12:17 AM   #8
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

For me I have to like the character at least a little; no matter how cool the outfit looks I don't think it's much fun spending all day pretending to be someone you hate or are indifferent about. That said I don't always end up going with my favorite character from each series because they don't always go with my body type. Nobody wants to see a plus sized person running around in something like a Yoko or a thief Rikku outfit, and you'd never get me in one in the first place because I don't want to see myself wearing that either. I tend to stick to cosplays that cover up well, preferably pants and long sleeved shirt. Nothing skin tight either (as much as I love Sango's demon slayer outfit, if I ever cosplayed her it'd be in her travelling one because it's more flattering on a full figure). Beyond that it's just a question of if I have the skills and/or money to make it. Nox from Smite is one I've wanted to do for awhile now, but how to do all those feathers on that dress...

So basically my thought process goes if I can answer yes to all of:

1. Do I like this character and series? (so I can chat about it at the meetups)

2. Is this character's outfit suitable for my body type (or easily modifyible to be)?

3. Is it within my skill range and budget (basically not to hard for a novice)?

If yes to all the above, then they're a definite possibility. I should mention that while I usually consider my favorite characters from series I like first, the question of "is this going to be completely unflattering on me?" is what ultimately makes or breaks it. I may eventually be able to work up my skills to do more complex cosplays, but trying to tackle the weight issue is a way bigger struggle. Also I prefer cosplays that are easy to recognize just by the clothing (think Naruto's bright orange jumpsuit) or hairstyle (I doubt Yugi gets mistaken for anyone else) as opposed to a character whose most defining characteristics are their facial features and body type (a short chubby Lelouch cosplayer in the school uniform outfit may not be recognized at all as neither the clothing nor hairstyle stands out that much, and Lelouch is known for being tall and rail thin with sharp facial features).

Conventions Attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
(Upcoming) Anime Midwest 2018

Current Cosplays: Suzu (ToP), Sheena (ToS) default and young/successor version

Upcoming Cosplays: Magma Grunt, White Mage, Kikyo

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Yugioh, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon

Last edited by Chiagirl : 03-31-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Yeah, there are a lot variables for me choosing what cosplay to make.

Do I like the character?
Do I like the outfit?
Can I reasonably make this with my skills?
Am I going to have fun making this?
Will I feel comfortable wearing this?
Can I make this and not go broke?

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

IDK, Chiagirl, I'd like to see a plus-sized person running around in something like a Yoko or Thief Rikku outfit.
Unread 03-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
Brutal
Edgy Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
For me I have to like the character at least a little; no matter how cool the outfit looks I don't think it's much fun spending all day pretending to be someone you hate or are indifferent about. That said I don't always end up going with my favorite character from each series because they don't always go with my body type. Nobody wants to see a plus sized person running around in something like a Yoko or a thief Rikku outfit, and you'd never get me in one in the first place because I don't want to see myself wearing that either. I tend to stick to cosplays that cover up well, preferably pants and long sleeved shirt. Nothing skin tight either (as much as I love Sango's demon slayer outfit, if I ever cosplayed her it'd be in her travelling one because it's more flattering on a full figure). Beyond that it's just a question of if I have the skills and/or money to make it. Nox from Smite is one I've wanted to do for awhile now, but how to do all those feathers on that dress...

So basically my thought process goes if I can answer yes to all of:

1. Do I like this character and series? (so I can chat about it at the meetups)

2. Is this character's outfit suitable for my body type (or easily modifyible to be)?

3. Is it within my skill range and budget (basically not to hard for a novice)?

If yes to all the above, then they're a definite possibility. I should mention that while I usually consider my favorite characters from series I like first, the question of "is this going to be completely unflattering on me?" is what ultimately makes or breaks it. I may eventually be able to work up my skills to do more complex cosplays, but trying to tackle the weight issue is a way bigger struggle.
Your post actually gave me another thread idea. You should totally do Sango, even if it is the traveling version. InuYasha is lacking love these days. So you're saying appearance first in a way??? I know you mentioned the other variables, but between personality vs appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post

Do I like the character?
Do I like the outfit?
So both here? Plus more lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
IDK, Chiagirl, I'd like to see a plus-sized person running around in something like a Yoko or Thief Rikku outfit.
I'm a bit surprised because I figured the con community wouldn't take that type of thing well, at least generally speaking based on how people react when its done. I mean, I know you're speaking for yourself, but it's nice to see that to be honest.
- Mini Con (Miniversary)
- Metrocon
- Outcon
- Anime Weekend Atlanta
- Holiday Matsuri

Follow me on Instagram!
Add me on Facebook!

Unread 03-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post

Do I like the character?
Do I like the outfit?
These are essentially my own parameters, too. I've started to realize I care less about "liking" a character and more about just liking their design. Now, I don't think I'd ever cosplay a character I outright hate but I've already done characters I really only like aesthetically, or just liked the idea of more than the character itself. That's not to say I haven't done characters just for the love of them either, but more recently I've been more driven by looks.

And of course budget and skill will factor in as well. My most recent cosplay was chosen specifically with time/money constraints in mind, whereas when I did Wicke I specifically was going for something more demanding. I'll also decide if I want a cosplay to be a learning project (like Wicke and Lunara) where I know I won't know how to do everything going in, or more of an easy project (like Shy Gal and Mei) just so I have a new costume.

I have also made concessions once about mental comfort while wearing. For Shy Gal the actual design has thigh-highs and garters but I decided I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around in public in that. Which actually is weird as for Lunara I was practically topless, but I was at least wearing a mesh shirt so maybe that helped? Or maybe I just have a thing about my legs which is very believable. It also didn't help thigh-highs in my size kind of don't really exist. In general though I go for as accurate as possible, and I don't know if I'd want to do a character if I knew I'd have to change a lot of things to the point they may not be recognizable any more.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Table Tennis Mei (Overwatch)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #13
Brutal
Edgy Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
These are essentially my own parameters, too. I've started to realize I care less about "liking" a character and more about just liking their design. Now, I don't think I'd ever cosplay a character I outright hate but I've already done characters I really only like aesthetically, or just liked the idea of more than the character itself. That's not to say I haven't done characters just for the love of them either, but more recently I've been more driven by looks.

And of course budget and skill will factor in as well. My most recent cosplay was chosen specifically with time/money constraints in mind, whereas when I did Wicke I specifically was going for something more demanding. I'll also decide if I want a cosplay to be a learning project (like Wicke and Lunara) where I know I won't know how to do everything going in, or more of an easy project (like Shy Gal and Mei) just so I have a new costume.

I have also made concessions once about mental comfort while wearing. For Shy Gal the actual design has thigh-highs and garters but I decided I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around in public in that. Which actually is weird as for Lunara I was practically topless, but I was at least wearing a mesh shirt so maybe that helped? Or maybe I just have a thing about my legs which is very believable. It also didn't help thigh-highs in my size kind of don't really exist. In general though I go for as accurate as possible, and I don't know if I'd want to do a character if I knew I'd have to change a lot of things to the point they may not be recognizable any more.
Looks like design seems to be the favorite here which I guess I can understand. I see, doing Wicke because she was something more demanding is different. Yeah, the Shy Gal vs Lunara thing is a bit weird, but when you put it that way it makes sense.
- Mini Con (Miniversary)
- Metrocon
- Outcon
- Anime Weekend Atlanta
- Holiday Matsuri

Follow me on Instagram!
Add me on Facebook!

Unread 03-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #14
ghosgreen

It really depends on the costume but more often than not it's the design that really gets me. Things I consider when choosing a costume is what's in my current abilities, budget and how much I'm willing to put into it overall. Like for an example I do a lot of armor and props but not really sewing so I'm gonna lean more towards armor stuff cause I know I can make it and I've invested a lot in tools, stockpile of materials and time to learn how to do it so the learning curve isn't as high. Verses trying to sew an entire outfit I've never really sewed anything before so that learning is gonna be really high and I'm not quite ready to invest in that learning curve just yet. Also because I just really really like armor stuff so that's where I kinda lean. Personality wise it depends on that too. Sometimes I won't do characters based on personality. Like one character I found him incredibly disturbing. It would of been easy to do but I just couldn't get myself to do it. I know it's a fictional character and it's just a costume but sometimes I just won't. So that's something I think about but mainly it's appearance.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #15
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

The most important is: I need to like the costume!

I can like the character but not necesarilly the costume, the costume I'll work in must be colorful, fun to wear, appealing to my eyes and have a design I like, personally I also love to cosplay characters from shows only myself loves because they don't get enough love at cons and sometimes I see too many mainstream costumes so I always want to make something different. (With some exceptions of course)

Not necesarilly out of my comfort zone becauseI'm fine with showing any body part and I do whatever I need to do to have the costumes I've always loved in my hands, I don't take in count my budget too much because I tend to make costumes that are only fabric, no armor and no helmets, and the fabric I always buy is no more than $3 USD per meter, I only expend some extra-money if I need new shoes to paint or a new wig.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote