Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 09-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
Zoeyromanov

Working at Arda Wigs (Canada)? (A long shot, I know.)

I guess because Arda is a cosplay oriented company it would fall under general cosplay stuff, but it's more work-related than making costumes so I put this here instead. As the title may suggest, I am considering Arda as a place to work at. I realize that it be would like any old job, where you have to submit your resume and even if you're selected for an interview, you still might not get chosen and all that stuff.

They had job openings last month and are now closed, and I held back so tough luck for me. However, I had a legitimate reason (at least on my part) for not applying in the first place. What held me back was wondering if I'd be stationed to style wigs, and while they don't commission wigs per say, they do style and repair wigs on location. So I didn't want to submit my resume and have them be interested in me only to realize that I couldn't style hard core wigs like Roxas, Sailor Moon etc. So I guess my overall question is if it's worth it to apply still? Or no? I know there's other jobs than just working at Arda so I'm not torn up but I was seriously considering it, and I'm still looking at other stuff, too. Another reason was probably the hours depending on when I'd have to leave my house and the distance, since it's almost 2 hours from where I live.

There's other stuff I was considering as well, like travel, my schedule, how many hours I'd be working etc. but that's probably between me and them mostly to work that out. Another thing that's stopping me is how 'experienced' someone might be have to be with not only wig fibers, but their dying materials with different fabrics, worbla etc.

I'd just like some input from others, even if the answer is still no; and maybe get myself prepared for the next opening (provided there's a smidgen of a chance for me to work there.) Maybe get some help from others outside looking in, or even some overheard stories from those who might have friends that work at Arda. I'm probably just looking at this the wrong way, so any help is appreciated.

Edit:
I did forget to mention one thing, I did take a look at their requirements for working there and I'd fit them (depending if they take me for argument's sake) and they don't require wig skills, experience with materials etc. per say, but still.

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Trickstar Sweet Devil, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]
Trickstar Band Sweet Guitar, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / Twitter

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 09-17-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
loz64

Sounds like you'll need to contact them and ask more about the job opening to find out what would be expected of you.

If it's a wig styling job and you're not confident in your skills, I wouldn't apply. Arda is a cosplay industry standard at this point, and I'm sure they would want a top notch stylist with a wealth of experience.

They probably have need of administrative-type workers if you can swing that, and any cosplay experience you have would be a bonus.
Alice Elliott | Aqua | Impa (SS) | Princess Hilda | Rosalina | Pajama Link | Airy | Agitha | Lolita Spock | Lolita Uhura | Eureka | Riyo Chuchi | Belgemine | Anise Tatlin | Ganondorf (Hyrule Warriors) | Master Eraqus | Lolita Mario | Princess Zelda (BotW)

Visit my Facebook page for photos, progress photos, con reports, tutorials, and other fun stuff: https://www.facebook.com/MythrilArts
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz64 View Post
Sounds like you'll need to contact them and ask more about the job opening to find out what would be expected of you.

If it's a wig styling job and you're not confident in your skills, I wouldn't apply. Arda is a cosplay industry standard at this point, and I'm sure they would want a top notch stylist with a wealth of experience.

They probably have need of administrative-type workers if you can swing that, and any cosplay experience you have would be a bonus.
That's what I was thinking too. They also didn't specify what particular job I'd be applying for, their notice simply said that they had job openings and you can apply/inquire for. They do require first and foremost an interest in cosplay, since that's where the company is about after all. I guess even if I was experienced anyways, the question then would be is if it'd be worth the 2-hour commute but that's only something I can answer.
In their job requirements, they didn't specify wig styling skills as a must (but obviously an asset), just the usual stuff that would be expected from someone who's working as a sales representative/customer service like a regular store. You're basically working at a warehouse, when you're not away at other cons in the country since there is travel involved, doing other stuff other than wigs like promoting stuff on social media, updating the site, doing inventory, taking calls, answering e-mails etc.

But this helped too, thank you!

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Trickstar Sweet Devil, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]
Trickstar Band Sweet Guitar, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / Twitter

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:09 PM   #4
Tigress

Unless they are looking for someone to make wigs, you probably don't need wig-styling skills. If you want to make/style wigs and your experience isn't that great, ask if they offer on-the-job training.

Since the site is two hours from you, you will want to consider relocating if you get the job. Employers are very reluctant to hire people that live more than 40 minutes from them, unless it's a job that can be done remotely. The simple reason is if your car breaks down or inclement weather hits, you may have to call out at the last minute.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote