Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 02-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
TheStickMaster
Amatuer Cosplayer

Megacon 2017

Hello all!

It may seem early to some, but I think it's the perfect time to start chatting about the upcoming Megacon 2017 on May 25-28th.

I have been diligently working on a special Cosplay for a few weeks, hoping to get everything completed before April. My plan for this year is to attend as a Poke'mart Clerk, the guy who sells you stuff at the Poke'mart.
I am currently modifying a mobile plastic media cart into a vendor cart that carries my various props that you might find in a Poke'mart (Potions, Poke'balls, TMs, Vitamins etc.)
I am currently looking to wrangle my friends into a group Poke'mon Cosplay for different NPCs or trainers. If anyone is going to attend Megacon 2017 and going as Poke'mon themed, let me know!

Anyway, what is everyone's plan for this year? Discuss below:

Where are you from?
Is this your first Megacon or first convention in general?
Days attending?
What is your Cosplay?
Group or solo?
Entering the costume contest?
Any events announced so far/guests attending that piqued your interest?
Anything else you want to say/share?

Look forward to seeing you all in May!

Unread 02-07-2017, 03:49 AM   #2
dogwitch

from fl
all days
secret still
solo then group
i might
i already got hotel booked. dirt cheap to right beside con
dogwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
TheStickMaster
Amatuer Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwitch View Post
from fl
all days
secret still
solo then group
i might
i already got hotel booked. dirt cheap to right beside con
Is that the Rosen Centre Plaze hotel? I've never stayed there. My friends and I usually rent a hotel suite with kitchen and laundry room or like last year we found a condo that people rent out as a vacation home.
I haven't ordered my Con tickets yet and probably won't preorder either. The last two years there was almost no waiting in line to pick up tickets at the convention hall and in the past when I did preorder them ahead of time the wait was over an hour to pickup so it's a gamble.
Unread 02-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
dogwitch

i stayed their once. in 2015. got a cheap price. but this year it cost way more.
i book extended star America. i will pre order this year due to amount of people coming.
Unread 02-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Theacreature
Creaturecosplays

Plans

I just set myself to a pair of cosplays, one lord of the rings and one disney. Not wanting to disclose it all but I have ears and horns to cast, two wigs to style, and a full faux armor to make. I may be slightly insane. Luckily I have a bit of time and I live close to the convention center. This is my 5th year going and I'll probably pull a full weekend. Always excited for cons <3
Theacreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #6
TheStickMaster
Amatuer Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theacreature View Post
I just set myself to a pair of cosplays, one lord of the rings and one disney. Not wanting to disclose it all but I have ears and horns to cast, two wigs to style, and a full faux armor to make. I may be slightly insane. Luckily I have a bit of time and I live close to the convention center. This is my 5th year going and I'll probably pull a full weekend. Always excited for cons <3
I would like to have a new costume for everyday of the con, but I don't feasibly have enough time to create them . I have a suit of armor that I've been constructing out of EVA foam for several months but it wont be anywhere close to finished by then. I might actually do the costume contest this year, though I don't expect to win lol.
Unread 02-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

This will be my fourth year at MegaCon! I'm going to cosplay Princess Zelda from Breath of the Wild, in her white gown and gold Hylian-crest-inspired jewelry, which was inconveniently featured for a total of only two seconds in the trailer, yay. *holds up "Sarcasm" sign* Nevertheless, I still fell in love with it and feel obligated to cosplay it now!
I'm more than likely going to attend Saturday and Sunday, since I'm a high school teacher and have to work on Friday. Also, most of the good celebrities are only there Sat/Sun, and the prices on merchandise drop on Sunday. Final point, there are fewer people there on Friday, and I'm all about the crowds!!!
I'm cosplaying solo, but always attend with my uncle (sometimes aunt and cousin as well). Which is good, because I'll need a pack mule this year! Zelda's white gown just wouldn't look right with my black button-emblazoned con backpack...
Can't really contribute to the hotel conversation, since I only live an hour away and can drive back and forth quite easily!

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between the heart (wearing a flower crown while skipping along a beach) or the brain (wearing a graduation cap with a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

MegaCon 2017- Felicity Smoak

Previous:

MegaCon Tampa Bay 2016 - Felicity Smoak
MegaCon 2016 - Fem!Link
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStickMaster View Post
Is that the Rosen Centre Plaze hotel? I've never stayed there. My friends and I usually rent a hotel suite with kitchen and laundry room or like last year we found a condo that people rent out as a vacation home.
I haven't ordered my Con tickets yet and probably won't preorder either. The last two years there was almost no waiting in line to pick up tickets at the convention hall and in the past when I did preorder them ahead of time the wait was over an hour to pickup so it's a gamble.
Wait, WHAT?? You didn't have to wait in line to purchase same-day tickets last year? I arrived 30 minutes early and waited almost two hours in the line to pick up my pre-orders, which made me late for a photo-op...

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between the heart (wearing a flower crown while skipping along a beach) or the brain (wearing a graduation cap with a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

Previous:

MegaCon 2016 - Fem!Link
Unread 02-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
dogwitch

part of issue lat year. is they movie ticket pick up 3 times that con.
Unread 02-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Where are you from? Ontario, Canada
Is this your first Megacon or first convention in general? Second Megacon
Days attending? All days
What is your Cosplay? Still thinking about this -- depends on time and what is easier to fit in a suitcase.
Group or solo? I'm staffing, so...is that a technically a group?
entering the costume contest? Pretty sure as staff I'm not allowed.
Any events announced so far/guests attending that piqued your interest? I'm excited about my Kidzone room...haha. as for anything else happening, after parties are normally fun.
Anything else you want to say/share? Not sure if anyone has kids, but bring 'em! The room is more for parents to decompress and relax while kids play and do random nerdy crafts. Its all free.

Come in just to say hi! as well (little secret, I let adult do the crafts too.). I'll need some adult conversation as the days goes on.
BLOG - LINK
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2017, 03:46 AM   #11
TheStickMaster
Amatuer Cosplayer

Well I don't have any kids but I'll try to remember to stop by and say hello. If you see me pushing around a Pokemart cart feel free to flag me down as well!
Unread 03-12-2017, 03:48 AM   #12
TheStickMaster
Amatuer Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwitch View Post
part of issue lat year. is they movie ticket pick up 3 times that con.
I didn't know that the ticket pickup times were changed...I knew it seemed a little too quick to buy one compared to previous years.
Unread 03-12-2017, 03:51 AM   #13
TheStickMaster
Amatuer Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseandzippin View Post
Wait, WHAT?? You didn't have to wait in line to purchase same-day tickets last year? I arrived 30 minutes early and waited almost two hours in the line to pick up my pre-orders, which made me late for a photo-op...
Nope, no waiting for us. I did show up on Thursday about 30 minutes after the hall was open though. It was nice walking around the dealers area with wide-open empty aisles lol.
Unread 03-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStickMaster View Post
Nope, no waiting for us. I did show up on Thursday about 30 minutes after the hall was open though. It was nice walking around the dealers area with wide-open empty aisles lol.
Oooooh, okay. That makes sense. I absolutely love crowds, so I always go on Saturday (unless the best guests are only there on Friday, then sorry students, but MegaCon is calling)

Future:

Previous:

MegaCon 2016 - Fem!Link
Unread 03-20-2017, 01:44 AM   #15
TheStickMaster
Amatuer Cosplayer

I just recently uploaded some new pictures pertaining to my current cosplay project for Megacon 2017. Check them out here: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/498947/ if you're interested and let me know what you think. Also, if anyone has anything they're working on I'll gladly check it out as well!