Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 11-28-2017, 01:34 AM   #8071
benignthespian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa3467 View Post
The people whining now should've planned ahead, especially if they were the ones saying that to the people complaining about the lines to get in being too long. AX not running a Black Friday sale, or in this case, not making as many badges available at the Black Friday rate, was entirely predictable, given how few conventions have such offers. On the other hand, lines being in excess of 2 hours long was not something a reasonable person would've expected; most conventions don't exceed 90 minutes.
Even for people that did plan ahead and wait until 12AM for the Black Friday sale got screwed over because of the way the website functioned. Badges got put in carts and made "unavailable", and then sold out after about an hour and change, in which time most people didn't even have access to it. I'm just saying if they're going to run a sale it should probably be more effective than that.

Current Projects: --Vulpix Gijinka--Beast Boy--Howl--

Next Conventions: --Fanime--Anime Expo--
benignthespian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #8072
monodistortion

I was able to get my Black Friday ticket right at midnight but judging from the AX Twitter the available tickets sold out in about 10-15 minutes. I was already logged into Eventbrite and on the page when they went on sale. They did announce the sale tickets would be limited.
http://www.anime-expo.org/2017/11/14...tails-ax-2018/

I remember last year they were limited and sold out before the day was over, but not that fast.

We'll see how this year goes. As a photographer I spend the majority of the time outside which you don't even need a badge for. It is convenient to be able to go inside to find people or use the bathroom.
monodistortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2017, 09:52 PM   #8073
El_Duque
miyoshi82

First big news for Anime Expo 2018 is not even directly related to AX. For all Vocaloid fans, it looks like Miku Expo is coming back (This is becoming a bi-annual event all of the sudden) and it's a few days before Anime Expo on June 29 at the Microsoft Theater.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015-present
Wondercon - 2013, 2015-present
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con 2015-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2017, 12:21 AM   #8074
NeoStrayCat
Cat Person! :3

Yeah, I saw that and funny that both events are in a week of each other, so while usually I'm going to AX...again, lol. I'm unsure about Miku Expo, lol.

But I'll plan something out.
NeoStrayCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #8075
Second Star Cosplay
SecondStarCosplay

Well guys! It's finally up! The AX hotel block information has been released, and it seems like there are a few new hotels as well as now a "virtual waiting room" for the booking. Hopefully that makes the site run smoother.

What do you guys think???

http://www.anime-expo.org/2018/01/10...2f954-71336157

Follow me on Facebook! SecondStarCosplay
Second Star Cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #8076
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Star Cosplay View Post
Well guys! It's finally up! The AX hotel block information has been released, and it seems like there are a few new hotels as well as now a "virtual waiting room" for the booking. Hopefully that makes the site run smoother.

Hooray for Comic Con-style Housing requests!
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015-present
Wondercon - 2013, 2015-present
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con 2015-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #8077
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
First big news for Anime Expo 2018 is not even directly related to AX. For all Vocaloid fans, it looks like Miku Expo is coming back (This is becoming a bi-annual event all of the sudden) and it's a few days before Anime Expo on June 29 at the Microsoft Theater.
I'd love to see another Miku concert but I'll be out of town that day. Eh, I've seen Miku in concert twice though, so no big loss.

Quote:

I like the idea, maybe hotel booking won't be as chaotic and stressful as it has been in past years...but I'll believe that when I see it. Hopefully things actually go smooth for a change and the most stressful part of booking a room is trying to figure out a way to book a hotel room during work, lol

FB: The Casual Otaku

Upcoming Cons/Events

Ronin Expo
Anime Expo
PMX
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #8078
Alyssa3467
Holographic Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by benignthespian View Post
Even for people that did plan ahead and wait until 12AM for the Black Friday sale got screwed over because of the way the website functioned.
I think you missed the point of my post. Some people criticized the people complaining about the lines that were long enough to watch Titanic twice and said those people should've "planned ahead"—for something that that should only take 45 minutes (or less). Many people planned for 90 minutes, and even that was on the high end of reasonable. Sitting at your computer at 23:59 and waiting to click on a link once the clock hit 00:00 is not "planning ahead;" buying your badges ahead of time is. The "Black Friday sale" price was about the same as the July (maybe August). There was no limit in July.

Quote:

I think they should fire the people in charge of running their web infrastructure.

Quote:
Virtual Waiting Room: This year, we will be implementing a virtual waiting room on the hotel booking site to ensure that it will not crash due to high-traffic.
It wasn't the hotel booking site that was crashing last year; it was the Anime Expo site, which they insisted on having as the only way they would distribute the URL to the hotel booking site. The people lucky enough to get the direct URL to the hotel booking site didn't have any problems.

Quote:
Please note that there is also a time limit of 15 minutes for completing your reservation on the hotel booking site. Inactivity on the site for the duration of the time limit will result in a timeout message and will require you to start the reservation process over again.
I'm not sure if that's actually new; I don't know what Passkey's policies are about how long you take during the reservation process or if it's possible for rooms to run out while you have a reservation in your shopping cart.

Quote:
New Housing Provider: ConferenceDirect is the official housing provider for Anime Expo and the only place to book rooms at the AX 2018 hotel block rates.
I saw no evidence suggesting that there were problems with CMR *or* Passkey in terms of hotel booking. Can someone enlighten me here?

Quote:
Updated AX Website Performance: Based on the performance of our new website during the Black Friday sale, as well as extensive research and testing, the AX site should have no major issues for the hotel block release.
This! This is what they needed to focus on years ago. Their website was what kept going down, and it was obvious that whatever redundancy they had with Cloudflare was not enough.
Alyssa3467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #8079
Access

Has anyone else had any time to look through the latest form 990 filing?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/irs-form-99...076_public.xml
I find it interesting that even though they got rid of Perez, they seem to be paying his replacement(s) the same salary, or more.

Quote:
<Form990PartVIISectionAGrp><PersonNm>Marc Houston Perez</PersonNm>
<TitleTxt>FORMER CEO</TitleTxt>
<AverageHoursPerWeekRt>40.00</AverageHoursPerWeekRt><OfficerInd>X</OfficerInd>
<ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>47479</ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>
<ReportableCompFromRltdOrgAmt>0</ReportableCompFromRltdOrgAmt>
<OtherCompensationAmt>4022</OtherCompensationAmt></Form990PartVIISectionAGrp>

<Form990PartVIISectionAGrp><PersonNm>RAY CHIANG</PersonNm>
<TitleTxt>COO</TitleTxt><AverageHoursPerWeekRt>40.00</AverageHoursPerWeekRt>
<OfficerInd>X</OfficerInd>
<ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>162356</ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>
<OtherCompensationAmt>0</OtherCompensationAmt></Form990PartVIISectionAGrp>

<Form990PartVIISectionAGrp><PersonNm>MATTHEW THOMAS</PersonNm>
<TitleTxt>DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS</TitleTxt>
<AverageHoursPerWeekRt>40.00</AverageHoursPerWeekRt>
<HighestCompensatedEmployeeInd>X</HighestCompensatedEmployeeInd>
<ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>113923</ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>

<Form990PartVIISectionAGrp><PersonNm>JONATHAN BAUMGARDNER</PersonNm>
<TitleTxt>DIRECTOR OF ENTERTAINMENT</TitleTxt>
<AverageHoursPerWeekRt>40.00</AverageHoursPerWeekRt>
<ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>105129</ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>

<Form990PartVIISectionAGrp><PersonNm>AZUSA KUDO</PersonNm><TitleTxt>Director of
Industry Relations</TitleTxt><AverageHoursPerWeekRt>40.00</AverageHoursPerWeekRt>
<ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>103895</ReportableCompFromOrgAmt>
<OtherCompensationAmt>0</OtherCompensationAmt>
Four executives paid six-figure salaries, rather than just one...

At least it's in decent financial shape, expenses grew significantly but so did revenue.

Some funny things going on with third-party contractors (like $811789.00 spent for "Event Decorations").
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #8080
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Four executives paid six-figure salaries, rather than just one...
Wait...What?!!

In short, 4 executives are getting paid six figure salaries from the pocketbooks of the attendees & dealers. So instead of just paying the former CEO Marc Perez a six figure salary, they are now paying 4 people with six figure salaries.

I also have to ask, how can one justify paying six figure salaries for 4 people at an anime convention with the money taken from attendees & dealers? (I like to hear their excuses on this one.)

Quote:

Some funny things going on with third-party contractors (like $811789.00 spent for "Event Decorations").

At the price tag of $811789.00, that must be one a hell of a charge for "Event Decorations." (That's also coming from the pocketbooks of the attendees & dealers.)

To quote William Shakespeare's "Hamlet"-Act 1:

“Something is rotten in the state of Denmark”

Last edited by Hakaider : 02-12-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #8081
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Wait...What?!!
In short, 4 executives are getting paid six figure salaries from the pocketbooks of the attendees & dealers. So instead of just paying the former CEO Marc Perez a six figure salary, they are now paying 4 people with six figure salaries.
(see below)
Salaries went from $1,289,630 to $1993589. Around six hundred thousand of that roughly 2 million was paid to the executives, the rest presumably to all other employees, roughly 30 in number. That would put average non-executive employee pay around $46,667.

Though despite all the lavish spending (ie. the previously mentioned eight hundred thousand on decorations), revenue less expenses broke a million in 2016, and net assets were very close to 1.6 million at the end of the year.

On the revenue side, Attendees provide around 65% of a total Revenue around 10 million. Dealers are around 19%, Concerts and Interactives around 9%, and Sponsorship around 6%. This means that if they cut out the waste, ie. cutting 2 million out of 10 million would be realistic, they could probably cut the attendee badge around 30% or more (while keeping all other prices the same). Or they could use that 2-3 million to pay for a real convention center like Anaheim.

Quote:
<PYSalariesCompEmpBnftPaidAmt>1289630</PYSalariesCompEmpBnftPaidAmt>
<CYSalariesCompEmpBnftPaidAmt>1993589</CYSalariesCompEmpBnftPaidAmt>
<PYTotalProfFndrsngExpnsAmt>0</PYTotalProfFndrsngExpnsAmt>
<CYTotalProfFndrsngExpnsAmt>0</CYTotalProfFndrsngExpnsAmt>
<CYTotalFundraisingExpenseAmt>0</CYTotalFundraisingExpenseAmt>
<PYOtherExpensesAmt>5562060</PYOtherExpensesAmt>
<CYOtherExpensesAmt>7307671</CYOtherExpensesAmt>
<PYTotalExpensesAmt>6868064</PYTotalExpensesAmt>
<CYTotalExpensesAmt>9312412</CYTotalExpensesAmt>
<PYRevenuesLessExpensesAmt>829761</PYRevenuesLessExpensesAmt>
<CYRevenuesLessExpensesAmt>1031721</CYRevenuesLessExpensesAmt>
<TotalAssetsBOYAmt>4103214</TotalAssetsBOYAmt>
<TotalAssetsEOYAmt>5433266</TotalAssetsEOYAmt>
<TotalLiabilitiesBOYAmt>3536253</TotalLiabilitiesBOYAmt>
<TotalLiabilitiesEOYAmt>3834584</TotalLiabilitiesEOYAmt>
<NetAssetsOrFundBalancesBOYAmt>566961</NetAssetsOrFundBalancesBOYAmt>
<NetAssetsOrFundBalancesEOYAmt>1598682</NetAssetsOrFundBalancesEOYAmt>

Last edited by Access : 02-12-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #8082
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Salaries went from $1,289,630 to $1993589. Around six hundred thousand of that roughly 2 million was paid to the executives,

I sure would love to hear the excuses from the 4 executives as to why it was necessary to pay themselves six figure salaries. (Will it be "Because we can" or "It was necessary for our job performance?" )

That's even more than what some airline pilots, air traffic controllers, fire chiefs, cruise liner captains, police captains, U.S. military generals & admirals make. (And they do a hell of a lot more than running an anime convention.)

Incidentally, the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti earns $237,453 per year. (I wouldn't be surprised if the salaries for the 4 AX executives would exceed that amount in a few years.)

Here's also another interesting part. The Governor of California, Jerry Brown's current annual salary is now about $196,000. The average annual salary of a California legislator is $107,238. This means that, each of the 4 AX executives now makes more than the Governor of California, and many of the California legislators.

I would not be surprised, that as the prices for the attendees & dealers continue to skyrocket for AX, the higher & faster the salaries would climb for those 4 AX executives. I also would not be surprised, if those 4 AX execs gets paid close to half a million each within 5 years. (Each of them now already makes more than the Governor of California, So why stop there?)

I have my doubts, if the 4 AX execs, would volunteer to have their six figures salaries dramatically cut or take no salary, so the money would be used instead to make AX a better experience for the attendees or dealers. (They are riding on the gravy train that's paid for by the attendees & dealers. Why would they want to renounce their six figure salaries? Just keep raising all the prices & the people will just keep paying, no matter how high it gets!)

Quote:
Concerts and Interactives around 9%

In other words, "Interactives" as in charging for the Masquerades, and concerts. They are the only anime con in North America, where they charge for their fan run Masquerade.

Quote:
Or they could use that 2-3 million to pay for a real convention center like Anaheim.

The priority now among the 4 executives seems to be about getting themselves as rich as much as possible with six figure salaries, than doing what is the best for the attendees. It's not about the fans anymore. It's about how much they can get rich from this convention. (Compare that to Otakon, where top level people are barely paid at all. Are there even any anime cons in North America where 4 of their executives are paid 6 figure salaries?)

It'll be interesting to see where they decide to go after the contract with Los Angeles runs out next year in 2019. (I would be very surprised if they decide to move to Anaheim.)

Last edited by Hakaider : Yesterday at 07:48 AM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #8083
Kid-Krazi
Wants pie

Anyone seen the price tags on those 4 day passes took a 2 year break and the prices go up to $95. I really want to go this year but its becoming so expensive that I'll probably just stop by for a day or 2 because m broke
Kid-Krazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #8084
dcpoor

3 figure admissions for 6 figure salaries

profit!
dcpoor is offline   Reply With Quote