Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 08-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #211
StitchsLoft

Heavy Duty!!!

I do mostly industrial heavy duty military style clothing or tacgear mods and harnesses... The only way to go is a SINGER 2491 or CONSEW 206 RB-5 when its get really down and dirty. Need awesome machine, talk to Joe Orlando at Arch Sewing out of Philly, they ship to you as well! Used him most my Navy career and still do they guy has P/N in his head for bobbins!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../SFHBANNER.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...titchPilot.jpg
StitchsLoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #212
LadyoftheLake

I have 4 machines. I have an old EuroPro that was my first sewing machine 14 years ago. Last year my mom bought me a beast of a Kenmore: a 1954 steel straight stitch machine that I named Joan after Joan Crawford because she doesn't take any **** from any kind of fabric. She's my heavy duty sewing girl. I recently upgraded my regular sewing machine to a Brother SE400 so I could get some embroidery capabilities along with some updated functionality. My last machine is a Brother 1034D serger that I can't live without! It's great for making things for kids because the seams are much easier care for the parents. If you can afford the $200 investment I absolutely recommend getting a serger. Once you learn how to use it, it will change your life!
LadyoftheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #213
vulcan ears

Nothing impressive

Kenmore 385.1249

This is my mom's sewing machine and I am currently using it. I learned how to sew on this machine. So far I have not had any issues with this machine.

Brother Riviera 1681

One time when my mom was driving, she saw a sewing machine in the trash on the side of the road. She gave it to me. Some of the tension assemble parts are missing. I tested the sewing machine (without the parts) and it sews. However the stitches were not the right size( hoping that having the parts would solve this problem). Right now the sewing machine is just sitting in my room and collecting dust.

Dressmaker E-399

One time, I was at a rummage sale. I saw this sewing machine and I went to the owner to ask questions about the machine. The lady told me that I can have the sewing machine for free. So I took it because who can say no to a free sewing machine. After several hours cleaning and when oiling it. That sewing machine works like a charm. So far I haven't had any issues with it. Not to long ago, I sewed denim and it sew the denim without any problems.
vulcan ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #214
madchase

I just bought myself a Janome MyStyle100 the other day
I'm pretty new to sewing and so far it seems to fit my needs

Completed:
*Nonon Jakuzure (Kill la Kill) *Big Sister (BioShock 2)

2015 Line up:

*Big Sister - BioShock 2 (Complete!) *Kyoko Sakura - Madoka Magica (10%) *Peridot - Steven Universe (5%) *Angel! Stocking - Panty and Stocking (0%)
madchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #215
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

I technically own 5 machines.

~A 1913 White treadle machine (in storage, needs belt, I've never used it)
~A 1970's White machine (my grandma is letting me have it, but I need somewhere to put it and it needs repairs)
~A 1990's Singer
~A 1990's Bernina
~A 2000's Necchi

Only 2 were bought, (Necchi and 1913 White) the rest were gifts, lol. At this rate, I'll be able to open my own clothing factory soon.

I don't have much to say about them since I've only really had the chance to use the Necchi, but although the Necchi is simple to use, it's very temperamental and badly designed. Would not recommend.

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #216
Disasterbate
Shubadawoo!

I got mine as a hand-me-down from my grandmother. While it's not a fancy computerized one with a drop in bobbin, it has worked majestic miracles for me. It occasionally has it's issues, but nothing that can't be fixed with some tinkering and common logic.

White - Precision Built Zigzag. Jeans Machine? Idk. That's all it says on it.
Unread 09-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #217
Asa Gohan
Cussin at Sewing Machine

I have a Singer Simple. It's great and it sews fast. Like someone else mentioned, sewing machines are LOUD. Especially if you have them sewing fast.

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Next Cosplay: Louise Belcher!
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #218
TattooLoveShow

I use a singer 404, use it for almost everything its straight stitch only and i have a singer sewing mate for when i need a different stitch. I dont use it much at all not a fan of newer sewing machines
TattooLoveShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #219
Debutante

I have a Pfaff 7570. I've had it more years than I care to admit, and I absolutely love this machine. It cost more than my car at the time. There are many features I like, such as the needle threader, and the needle up or needle down option which makes pivoting so easy. I also have the pleater foot for it, which makes pleating and gathering ruffles as a dream - as simple as stitching a straight line.
Debutante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #220
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

I use a Husquvarna Viking Topaz. It's got sewing and embroidery capabilities, and it's really quite nice. I'm looking into getting a serger to go with it one day soon.

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #221
HayBails

I'm getting a singer for christmas (forgot witch one but i know its a basic one) as my first sewing machine. I'm more of the props/wig person between me and my sister and she does the sewing.
HayBails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #222
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Woohoo, time for an update on my machines.

Still chugging along as my beloved tank, my Singer Merrit 4525.
Inherited almost a year ago from my grandma, a beautiful old Singer from the 1960's. Need to give it a test in the next few weeks and see how it runs after over a decade in her closet. Not sure I'll really use it though, it's HEAVY, I don't have space in my own apartment (it's at my parent's) and my other ones already do everything I need.
And for an early Christmas present I got this a few weeks ago, my first serger.
I LOVE it. Serges beautifully and not nearly as scary as the industrial ones in school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #223
Nonyvole
Professional Newb

I have a Pfaff Smart 100. Works like a dream, and it cost me nothing more than answering the question "what do you want for your birthday?"

Only problem that I've found with it is that for some reason, top and bottom layers of fabric don't like to feed through at the same rate. Changed all sorts of things, took it in to the repair shop, finally just bought a walking foot.

For serging, I have a Singer Stylist II. Nothing fancy, but it was one of those Amazon deals. On my birthday. It was a sign. Different birthday than my Pfaff.
Nonyvole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #224
Whespers

Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Sew Affordable 25-Stitch Free-Arm Sewing Machine is the best sewing machine known to me so far... This machine is great for beginners
Whespers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #225
LaserBrain
Design Studio

I have very basic sewing knowledge, so forgive me if I'm a bit lost on this subject.

Has anyone ever tried stitching heavier substrates together? For example: Thin vinyl plastic sheeting to leather?

I've always wondered what type of tools would be needed to pull this off.
LaserBrain is offline   Reply With Quote