Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Has any age crisis hit you as a cosplayer?

You know: 20 crisis, 25 crisis, 30 crisis, 40 crisis...

I'm 32 and 30's crisis is hitting me horribly, and cosplay is not an exception, I started cosplaying at 29 for reasons I didnít choose, if those circunstances didnít happen I would have started at 23-24, I want to keep cosplaying kawaii girls, anime boys, vocaloid, Digimon, Pokťmon, Love Live, Idolm@ster, Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon... But sometimes I'm feeling that I'm getting too old for this, also a lot of people tell me to cosplay something more according to my someone my age's tastes, like comics, grown characters like superheroes or mature fighters from video games like Ryu, Bison, or someone from Mortal Kombat, but I'm not interested in any of them.

However Iím in two friends groups, one of them is a group of mostly cosplayers that go together to cons, the other one is a Love Live fan group where 3 of us are cosplayers, and I almost see no one around my age, removing the guy at the cosplay group who is 42 the closest to my age is 27 while most of the friends I got there are 16, 17, 18, 19 , 20, 23 and 24, I remember someone here saying me that I shouldnít hang out with people that young, and at the Love Live group the closest to my age is 24-25, so Iím starting to think Iím getting too old for this hobby, I donít wanna stop doing it and even less stop cosplaying the colorful characters I love, but since those circunstances I sometimes think itís time to say goodbye to this hobby.

Have you felt something similar?

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

You can't stop the progression of time nor the rotation of the earth, so you can choose one of three paths:
- Cosplay characters that make you happy, even if you don't "pass" well
- Cosplay characters that you can pull off well, even if they don't make you happy
- Stop cosplaying

My suggestion is to go for a combination of the first two: Do a character from a series you like, even if it's not your favorite character. Build a full Flamedramon or Myotismon and people will love it. Flamedramon gets to wear a full-face mask, so it doesn't matter how you look underneath. Myotismon looks like a grown man anyway. Or take it in a different direction, and do something silly like Business Magikarp did.

I love Fallout, and my current build is an Assaultron, which is a very feminine shape. I'm sure people will be surprised when I pull the helmet off and there's a middle-aged man underneath.

But I also pick my share of "face" characters that I can pull off well, even if they're not my favorite characters in the series. I cosplay as Nightwing because I'm way too skinny to be Batman. I cosplay as Handsome Jack, and I pull it off really well, even though there are other Borderlands characters that I like more. I cosplay as the tenth Doctor Who because it makes my wife happy.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
You can't stop the progression of time nor the rotation of the earth, so you can choose one of three paths:
- Cosplay characters that make you happy, even if you don't "pass" well
- Cosplay characters that you can pull off well, even if they don't make you happy
- Stop cosplaying

My suggestion is to go for a combination of the first two: Do a character from a series you like, even if it's not your favorite character. Build a full Flamedramon or Myotismon and people will love it. Flamedramon gets to wear a full-face mask, so it doesn't matter how you look underneath. Myotismon looks like a grown man anyway. Or take it in a different direction, and do something silly like Business Magikarp did.

I love Fallout, and my current build is an Assaultron, which is a very feminine shape. I'm sure people will be surprised when I pull the helmet off and there's a middle-aged man underneath.

But I also pick my share of "face" characters that I can pull off well, even if they're not my favorite characters in the series. I cosplay as Nightwing because I'm way too skinny to be Batman. I cosplay as Handsome Jack, and I pull it off really well, even though there are other Borderlands characters that I like more. I cosplay as the tenth Doctor Who because it makes my wife happy.
I'm not interested in them either, my focus is on digidestined.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I don't know anything about digidestined, I was just giving examples.

You wrote "digimon" so I googled digimon characters, and picked some that were interesting-looking and could be cosplayed very well by a 30-year-old guy, even if you don't have the face and body of a magical girl.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
Syon
leads the crusade

No, I had no crisis like that. I'm female and currently 26, turning 27 at the end of summer. And I'm "lucky" that my prefered type of cosplay does not stray away much from that age. (I like to cosplay from games, all characters are adults and none of them is cute. The only struggle of adaptation would be crossplay for me, which I want to try). And as far as I noticed it, I do look young. I just blend in with the crowd of 20-somethings.

Regarding your own problem: You have mentioned it a couple of times now over the years and honestly...there isn't much to do about it. You will always be over 30, male and not equipped with the same body as the characters you chose. This will look odd to some people and their reaction might frustrate you. But you can't change that you don't "pass" for a young girl. You can just try to accept that.
Unread 05-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Asmaria
The Ruby Knight Julius

Hmm occasionally it passes my mind, sure, but more of a 'dangit I really wish I could look younger!' way. Because ain't nobody gonna tell me what hobbies I am too old for with my grownup money and time management.

You're not hitting on kids, you're expressing your love of a series through art and acting (costume-play). You're allowed to befriend people younger than you, just be aware of the mood when you hang out with others and pick people who can actually use their heads and see you as a person rather than your age.

Yes, it gets harder the more older we get. I'm 36, about to turn 37, and for the longest time, I was the youngest, and all my friends in the 90s and 2000's were in their 20s and 30s. What's weird is back then, that was the NORM.

Now, pop culture has absorbed anime and comics and video games to be mainstream, so the average fan is going to skew much, MUCH younger, and let's be real, nobody stops liking something just because their body ages. We aren't going to automatically want to cosplay a different character type just because we're a year older than last year.

Now for myself, I end up picking weird older characters and actually have to AGE myself sometimes (Rowen, Bookman, thinking of doing Ozai or Iroh at some point, what is with me...) but I still like doing cutesy characters too. The older I get, the harder that will be to pull off.

But you know what? Screw what the internet at large thinks because they are not the ones spending my money or wearing my costumes. I am. And I want to have fun.

There was this really AWESOME dude at Animetroplex I went to recently and he dressed up as Cindy from FFXV (I think?). He didn't look a thing like her, but I know he loved that costume and he was so fun to be around. Some people may not be able to relate, but fun people are the people I want to be friends with.

You just gotta accept we are geeks in a hobby where it will become increasingly more difficult to 'look' the part (in a society that never really got what it was like to be geeky to begin with), but why did we get here to begin with? Because we love it.

Future cons:
A-kon
SnK - Erwin Smith
P5 - Ryuji Sakamoto, Skull
.hack//IMOQ - Elk
P4 - Dojima
BNHA - Denki (Hero), Iida (Hero)

Animefest - TBD
San Japan - Probably P5
Asmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
foxy
Professional Catgirl :)

To be honest, I've seen posts like this before and my answer is always 'no'. I'm female and *shock* *horror* 42 years old. I'm told routinely at work that I look like I'm in my 20s. I roll with it.

If you're HAVING FUN cosplaying, then like Asmaria says above; who cares what other people think? If your interest is in cosplaying any age group, then do that and enjoy doing that. I'm not in a Love Live group, but it's still one of my favorite anime series and I love Maki. It's why me cosplaying her is my icon here on coscom

I was vending at Free Comic Book Day last weekend (I'm a comic artist when I'm not cosplaying) and the coolest 6 year old kid was there. Doing his own art and loving it, and you know what, I couldn't care less that I was easily old enough to be his mom, the kid was enjoying his passion. Do that.
Unread 05-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Nah. The nice thing about being over 40 is that I'm just naturally into characters older than 20, no need to fret about whether I can pass for 16 anymore.

That said, "passing" is something that trips people up and sucks the fun out of cosplay. Granted, I do like to pass, I like to nail every detail of the character's costume and put effort into wigs, makeup, and props, but there's a limit. We are all just nerds wearing costumes, we are not the characters and I'd venture to say all of us never will be - even if we're young, sexy, and underweight, we may not have the right torso to leg proportion, the right musculature, the right chin shape, the right eye color. IT DOES NOT MATTER. This is one bad effect of the rat race that is perfect photos of perfect young sexy cosplayers all over the internet: the vast majority of us are not ever going to be perfect and the pursuit of perfection can kill your fun and love dead on the spot.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2018, 01:18 AM   #9
Respawning

I find the longer it's been since my con (I generally only do one a year), the more I start to doubt whether I should keep going with this hobby. I'm 34, turning 35, have 2 kids (so add in the "is this appropriate for a mom" guilt), and also only started cosplaying around 28/29. I often have an impending sense that I was late to this particular party. I just try to focus on what really drew me to it and what I most enjoy (which in my case is the crafting process), and pick characters that really excite me, and who I think I could pull off well. I will never be able to do the wide-eyed Disney princess, but I've got angry sarcastic face down.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
loz64

I will probably cosplay when I go to a nursing home. I have too much fun creating costumes to stop because of age.
Alice Elliott | Aqua | Impa (SS) | Princess Hilda | Rosalina | Pajama Link | Airy | Agitha | Lolita Spock | Lolita Uhura | Eureka | Riyo Chuchi | Belgemine | Anise Tatlin | Ganondorf (Hyrule Warriors) | Master Eraqus | Lolita Mario | Princess Zelda (BotW)

Visit my Facebook page for photos, progress photos, con reports, tutorials, and other fun stuff: https://www.facebook.com/MythrilArts
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
ChibiDannimon

Last edited by ChibiDannimon : 05-10-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: ,
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

I'm 40 and last year I went as a school girl. I don't care if I'm using a cane, when I'm old, wrinkled, and grey; I'll cosplay what I want. But, I do think it's different for men. My husband is a couple of years older than me. Most of our friends our age aren't going to cons as much. He's find it awkward being an older man surrounded by younger cosplayers.

At Ohayocon we went to the dance practice for the formal ball. The organizers wanted everyone to dance with other people, but the young ladies didn't want to dance with him and he worried that they would look at him as a creep.

It can be hard getting older, but I'm sure you'll find a way to continue to cosplay and go to cons that works for you.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #13
ChibiDannimon

Ive reached the age where Im simply outgrown the hobby and I can no longer cosplay. I dont want to dress as older characters because they dont interest me. So to live my cosplay dreams... I just find new ways to do more art of my Original Characters. Even if I have to work 24 hours a day they will get drawn.

2018 Cosplays

Sailor Uranus - Sailor Moon
Ladybug - Miraculous Ladybug
Mei-Ling Zhou - Overwatch
Ryuko Matoi - Kill La Kill
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #14
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I was starting to feel like that (FYI, I'm close to 30), esp. at the anime cons, and then I mostly did historical dress for last year (I mean, I still am doing both, but the numbers of cosplay I wore went WAYYYYY down compared to historical outfits/events attended and made. Likewise, four historical outfits on the to-do list for this year and just one or two regular cosplays) and noticed I was usually the youngest young'un among them. So nope, no insecurity any more! And if I don't really care enough about character cosplays any more when I'm older and just want to strut around in a bustle or houppelande, I'm still costuming from things I love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #15
Zoeyromanov

This is a grey area for me, so...yes and no? I did know there would come a time when I'd stop cosplaying and having to give away my stuff and whatnot, due to growing out of this hobby but I mostly felt this way when it came to sports. I was off and on with cosplay in recent years, but I also had an interest in a career involving sports. I won't get into that, but let's just say cosplay is my main hobby as right now so I don't have to worry about the latter.
I'm 24, and will be turning 25 in August but I look like I could be 17, 18 years of age (maybe even 15) so I blend in really well with the crowd with the kind of physique I have. When I was trying on my Celina cosplay with what I had, I somehow 'magically' aged down to 14 thanks to the bow I tried on yet when I tied on her outfit on sans the jacket, I looked my age.
For me, I find solace in the that fact that there are voice actors who do, well voice over work in the animes that we enjoy and cosplay from, of varying ages and who take time out of their schedule to come do the panels we like to see. I even get inspiration from superheroes movies (apologies for the bias, because Marvel and at times DC movies are what I'm into) because we see 30+ year old adults wearing spandex and leather. Just look at Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool. I mean, don't get me wrong, I can't put cosplay and some famous actor on the same plane but that's not what I'm getting at. My thing is seeing a 40 year old playing and dancing around in a suit when the target audience for the source material is likely 18 - 29 year olds. So if he can, I can, too.
I'm just enjoying the ride for right for now, since only now am I finally finding something that makes me feel happy and I can say, 'Screw everyone else. I'm happy doing this".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post
I'm 40 and last year I went as a school girl. I don't care if I'm using a cane, when I'm old, wrinkled, and grey; I'll cosplay what I want. But, I do think it's different for men. My husband is a couple of years older than me. Most of our friends our age aren't going to cons as much. He's find it awkward being an older man surrounded by younger cosplayers.

At Ohayocon we went to the dance practice for the formal ball. The organizers wanted everyone to dance with other people, but the young ladies didn't want to dance with him and he worried that they would look at him as a creep.

It can be hard getting older, but I'm sure you'll find a way to continue to cosplay and go to cons that works for you.
Nicely said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
I find the longer it's been since my con (I generally only do one a year), the more I start to doubt whether I should keep going with this hobby. I'm 34, turning 35, have 2 kids (so add in the "is this appropriate for a mom" guilt), and also only started cosplaying around 28/29. I often have an impending sense that I was late to this particular party. I just try to focus on what really drew me to it and what I most enjoy (which in my case is the crafting process), and pick characters that really excite me, and who I think I could pull off well. I will never be able to do the wide-eyed Disney princess, but I've got angry sarcastic face down.
If it makes you feel better, I always tend to see moms who are cosplayers and bring their children with them to a con and even dress them up . So there're lots of mom and daughter/son cosplays you can do.

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains
Ryoken Kogami/Revolver (genderbent), Yugioh Vrains
Shay Obsidian (genderbent), Yugioh Arc-V

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 05-11-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote