Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Looking for your opinion

My husband and I are watching Final Space. I love the character Quinn/Nightfall and was thinking of cosplaying Nightfall. My husband said that some people would get upset with me cosplaying a character with darker skin when I'm very fair.

I countered with 'cosplay positivity'. I believe that anyone can cosplay any character. It doesn't matter your age, size, or skin colour. I've cosplayed Asian characters. I've worn kimono. I made a Day of the Dead costume.

I figure the cosplay community is more down to earth than some of the super hyper politically correct people who yell, 'you're not Japanese, you can't eat sushi.'

I'd like to hear your option. I know I'm opening up a can of worm and a debate that has been raging for years, but I'd love to hear from you. Would it be highly inappropriate for me to cosplay Nightfall? BTW, I don't do full body makeup, I'd like to do SheGo some year, but I'm not going to do the green makeup.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Do it; don't use change your skin color to emulate a real human race other than your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post
I figure the cosplay community is more down to earth than some of the super hyper politically correct people who yell, 'you're not Japanese, you can't eat sushi.'
Those opinions exist in the online cosplay "community" as well, but they won't materialize in the real world or at cons.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Yes, anyone can cosplay any character. Regardless of race. Just don't change your skin color and you'll be fine. If anyone has anything rude to say about your cosplay, that's their problem!

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

"Looks like today we're clockin' out early!" -Reno

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
loz64

POC here. Go ahead and cosplay the character. Since I am dark skinned, most of the time I have no choice but to cosplay a character whose skin tone doesn't match my own so I don't see why others shouldn't.

Just don't darken your skin. It would be offensive to people who are dark skinned because of the history of blackfacing (which is still a problem). My skin color is not an accessory.

You will get some people who are offended by a lighter skinned person cosplaying a darker character. They will call it whitewashing, which is not accurate when it's just one person doing it. Whitewashing is only a problem in mass media when a character who is traditionally a POC gets represented in a movie/play by a non-POC (like Scarlett Johanssen playing Makoto in that Ghost in the Shell movie). The way I see it, you aren't affecting the issue of representation nor are you taking away the opportunity for a POC to cosplay your character, so I would just ignore any naysayers.
Alice Elliott | Aqua | Impa (SS) | Princess Hilda | Rosalina | Pajama Link | Airy | Agitha | Lolita Spock | Lolita Uhura | Eureka | Riyo Chuchi | Belgemine | Anise Tatlin | Ganondorf (Hyrule Warriors) | Master Eraqus | Lolita Mario | Princess Zelda (BotW)

Visit my Facebook page for photos, progress photos, con reports, tutorials, and other fun stuff: https://www.facebook.com/MythrilArts
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Thank you everyone for your opinion, I value them greatly.

The Thing (1982)
Unread 08-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Scunosi

Quote:
I countered with 'cosplay positivity'. I believe that anyone can cosplay any character. It doesn't matter your age, size, or skin colour. I've cosplayed Asian characters. I've worn kimono. I made a Day of the Dead costume.
And honestly, if you look in the right places you'd find plenty of people ready to tear you down over plenty of the costumes you've already done much less this hypothetical one. There's even people that would simply find your username offensive. If you haven't already found them, don't go seeking them out, i.e. joining mass cosplay groups like the ones on FB or Tumblr. On here most people don't seem to hold those opinions, but elsewhere they're pretty common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Quote:
Those opinions exist in the online cosplay "community" as well, but they won't materialize in the real world or at cons.
Just to second Nathan (and everyone else), do what you like, don't darken yourself, but just remember to steel yourself against the ever-present possibility that someone online may say something. But it's incredibly unlikely anyone would ever say anything like that at an in-person event as of course most people who act tough online aren't very brave in the "real" world.

Upcoming Conventions
PAX West

Latest cosplay
Table Tennis Mei (Overwatch)

Working On
Princess Peach-New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Yeah, I've noticed here there's less cosplay drama(one of the reasons why I like to come on here a lot!) but yes, I have seen the cosplay community being more nasty elsewhere.

I'm glad this site is still here and that everyone is open minded(as far as I know). So you shouldn't have a problem with this cosplay especially on here!

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

"Looks like today we're clockin' out early!" -Reno

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #8
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
remember to steel yourself against the ever-present possibility that someone online may say something. But it's incredibly unlikely anyone would ever say anything like that at an in-person event as of course most people who act tough online aren't very brave in the "real" world.
Thank you, good advice.

The Thing (1982)