Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Unread 02-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #3841
kong212

If i had known they were doing a tribute concert i would have attempted to take Friday off. Sounds like it was an amazing experience! The panel and the movie were great! met the cast for a special signing they were doing but i spent almost 4 hours in line so I didnt get a chance to explore more of ALA.
Hopefully youll be able to attend Wondercon this year. I mostly likely will be attending the Animanga Expo. Sounds like itll be a fun 1st year of it.

LinkPwnsGanon your cosplay is coming out amazingly! I wish I knew how to sew so I wouldnt have to commission stuff haha.
kong212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2018, 04:14 AM   #3842
La Tulipe Noire
Un pour tous

Pew Pew~ Hello everyone! I also was at ALA but only for Saturday. c: It was a lot of fun and I'm glad I went. Didn't see any panels or anything, just kind of wandered but was cool.I feel like I didn't completely see everything? My group always wanted to keep moving!

Next up is Wondercon and I'm still on the fence about some of my cosplays. There's really not enough time to change it around, but I just can't decide (❁°͈▵°͈)

Hope all is well, work hard on your cosplays!
Unread 02-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #3843
ayaasan

Hello everyone! I changed up my plans a smidge, but they're officially finalized and ready to go!~ I'm currently working on upgrading my Dolores bodice (too many things wrong with the old one to count *oof*) :

I still have definitive plans for Mary Poppins and Queen Hippolyta, but I decided to combine the budget for Belle and Aura and finally do a dream costume of mine--Princess Aurora's blue gown from Sleeping Beauty, but with a few of my own twists including a plan I'm working on to have a "color changing" skirt :3 (Partly kicked in gear by Link's lovely progress on her own gown, and partly because Briar Rose was my first major costume and I've had her on my list since 2010 (!?!)) Since I'm combining TWO major budgets, I'm going for the whole shebang and getting every fabric I've always wanted to use--we're talking silks, brocades, silk velvet, *drools* I'm soooo excited!

Check out my Tumblr for more up-to date cosplay progress
ayaasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #3844
LinkPwnsGanon
Lady Scarlett Cosplay

Ayaasan: Omg that would be cool to see! I had planned on making the ruined dress at one point but if you're looking for a Merryweather then I volunteer as tribute! XD

W.I.P:
Aurora 60th anniversary - Disney
Princess Deku - Drifiting by Stars art
Steampunk Ladybug - Miraculous Ladybug
Super Sailor Chibi Moon - Sailor Moon
Female Kylo Ren
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #3845
ayaasan

Link: It's a little tricky to explain, but it involves small curtain weights in the hem of the blue skirt and hidden panels of pink satin w/ pink roses and blue organza overlay. You won't see the pink until I twirl because the weights will hold the blue silk fabric in place I can't even..I'm so excited

And if you decide to work on Merryweather I'd love you forever! I can't really afford any cons this year (expensive costume plans, saving up for a major con next year and I'm taking a trip this fall), but I'll probably have Aurora done by Halloween if you want to take pictures in Balboa Park <3

I'm currently arguing between Dragon Con and going back to Emerald City Comic Con next year. I've never been to Dragon Con, and I've wanted to go for YEARS, but I also kind of want to give ECCC another chance because I honestly think I just went on a bum year and I love winter cons so much more than summer ones. We'll see I'll also be on the lookout for a hotel roomie for either con, since my regular con buddy moved. If anyone is interested, let me know :3

Last edited by ayaasan : 02-18-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Unread 02-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #3846
LinkPwnsGanon
Lady Scarlett Cosplay

Wondercon is probably the only con I'm going to this year (maybe Comikaze as well but we'll see) but I would love to make Merryweather for Halloween! ^_^

It'd be cool to try and go to an out of state con and my sister loved Seattle so who knows, maybe I'll try to go to ECCC

W.I.P:
Female Kylo Ren
Unread 02-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #3847
ayaasan

Link: Awesome! I'll probably be posting quite a few more updates on my tumblr And I'm leaning a little more toward ECCC. Dragon Con would be amazing, but Atlanta in September and the con is mostly outdoors? uggghhhh...... We'll see

If I do a winter con, though, I'm thinking of maybe switching out Mary Poppins with Jester from Critical Role. I love the design and I'd probably freeze my rear end off in Mary when walking to and from the convention center since she's basically just a bunch of flimsy organza. (it was an average of the high 40's to low 50's with super cold wind/rain when I went last time) Jester would be a lot more technically challenging, too.

Mollymauk is actually my favorite design--is it bad that my initial response to his design was "OMG. It's so detailed! I could spend hours beading, hand sewing and painting!" (doing things by hand is therapeutic for me. I really enjoy it more than machine sewing) when the character "Was designed to give cosplayers a nervous breakdown." according to the campaign stats, haha. But I love Jester's character just as much and I think I could pull her off better

Jester:

What do y'all think? Tough it out as Mary since I have most of the supplies already? Maybe bring a jacket for walking to and from since the convention center itself is plenty warm? But then I'd have to deal with the jacket? Or a warmer, more challenging costume?

EDIT: Another option! I've been wanting to work with stretchier materials (get out of my comfort zone of structured/boned garments) and I've had Black Widow on the back-burner for awhile. I found some awesome polyester knit fabrics and I think I'll end up combining my favorite elements from all of the costumes instead of aiming for one screen-accurate design Plus, this will be more comfortable and since she would cost less I could finally invest in a serger.

Fabrics:

Last edited by ayaasan : 02-24-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Unread 03-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #3848
LinkPwnsGanon
Lady Scarlett Cosplay

I was going to say to go for Jester but you should totally go for Black Widow and get a serger!

W.I.P:
Female Kylo Ren
Unread 03-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #3849
ayaasan

OMG...guys...I'm so happy right now T.T Wig styling is hands-down my weakest cosplay-related talent. Take a look at how pretty my Aurora wig turned out! I straightened a Claudia from Arda, re-curled it for softer curls, and then cut, teased and shaped the bangs. I just can't T.T I can easily see why this style of wig is around $200 for a commission, though. It's deceptively simple--it took me about 8 hours from start to finish.

^^This is probably going to be my backup wig, though. (I mainly used this wig as a test run, and I might sell it.) I plan on styling a much thicker lace front for the final version

Last edited by ayaasan : 03-02-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Unread 03-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #3850
LinkPwnsGanon
Lady Scarlett Cosplay

That wig looks so pretty! :O I've been looking at wigs to buy for Aurora and I'm stuck on what color to get. Like majority of the people go for the ash blonde but then I'm also wondering if I should go for the hair color of the doll...

W.I.P:
Female Kylo Ren
Unread 03-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #3851
ayaasan

Link: Thank-you! :3 This is just my test wig, but I'm so happy with the results. Blonde is a bit tricky. It's mostly about matching skin tone. I'm uber pale with cool undertones, so I'll be aiming for more of a warm golden blonde for my final wig (think Cersei from Game of Thrones). I actually used to dye my hair coppery red (I LOVE how it looks with my skin, but it was too hard to maintain/I was too lazy, lol), which is why I'm excited to wear Black Widow This cool ash blonde totally wipes me out, lol--when I look back at pictures from when I first wore it I look so ruddy and weird :/

Determining skin tone wiki.

One of many guides for blonde hair and skin tones

Last edited by ayaasan : 03-05-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Unread 03-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #3852
LinkPwnsGanon
Lady Scarlett Cosplay

Thanks for the links!

W.I.P:
Female Kylo Ren
Unread 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #3853
ayaasan

Link: You're welcome

And I'm officially planning on ECCC 2019. Official, finalized plans? Dolores Abernathy from Westworld, Princess Aurora and Black Widow. So, a historical costume, a kickass superhero and a floofy princess dress I MIGHT bring Sarah Sanderson as well, since I haven't worn her yet, but I'd want to remake the bodice and sleeves. I'm also considering bringing Professor Trelawney for a backup comfy costume since she's already complete and ready to go. I actually decided against Hippolyta for this con, because I'll be learning a ton of new techniques and I don't want a deadline for a costume that I can guarantee will have lots of frustration along the way. I'd much rather take my time and do a good job instead of saying, "I'm out of time, it's good enough". Not to mention I finally realized that she'd take up a suitcase on her own, lol.

Today I'm taking a quick break from Dolores to cut out Aurora's petticoat. I'm using starched kona cotton, lace and layering blue and pink organza ruffles <3

Last edited by ayaasan : 03-16-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Unread 03-22-2018, 01:19 AM   #3854
bad_luck
^_~

How's it going, everyone?
Link, I love how your Aurora is coming along! And I love that dress design. I always thought she looked better in blue ^_~.

Ayaasan, the wig is looking fabulous! It's always awesome improving your skills!
Are you opting not to make Jester at the moment? I think that's a good choice. It would be such an epic costume, but saving money to do other things sounds like the way to go. Would be awesome if you were finally able to get a serger. I haven't tried mine yet, due to about 25% lack of time and 75% fear XD

Have you guys seen that Anime Conji is officially returning to San Diego this summer during the first weekend in June? They just announced it and are still working out the details. June seems awfully soon for them to get everything together, but I'm definitely going to check it out, even if it's just a little one. Not having to pay for a hotel is very appealing. Plus, that's the first weekend after my preschool lets out for the summer, so it's as good a time as any to party! Also still hoping to do Animanga expo in August. I think those are going to be my two cons for the remainder of the year.
bad_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #3855
ayaasan

Bad_Luck: I actually finally took the plunge and bought a serger I also decided that I'll suck it up and just bring a cloak to wrap around myself and work on Mary Poppins The serger will come in CRAZY handy for all of that organza and voile, and I already had most of the materials ready to go. Mary just makes the most sense.

Final lineup for ECCC 2019:

FRIDAY: Dolores
SATURDAY: Mary Poppins
SUNDAY: Princess Aurora

It's a 4-day con, but I don't plan on dressing up Thursday anyway :P

So, I just need to finish up my Dolores Abernathy bodice remake (slow going since it's mostly hand-sewing.) and then onto Mary and Aurora. I mulled over other costumes, but I decided I'd rather just use my budget toward making these three costumes super detailed and crazy instead of stretching things

I'm super excited for my original Princess Aurora design :3 Let's just say it involves super shimmery blue silk dupioni skirt panels with a hand-applied pink and blue sequin gradient with aurora borealis shimmer seed beads and additional rhinestones <3 The skirt is basically a shimmery, floaty, sparkly, flower explosion, haha. I figure all of this hand sewing will keep me busy for awhile.

I'm super in love with the fabric I found to use as the overlay for the hidden box pleated pink satin panels on the skirt:

I also just finished dyeing my embroidered silk dupioni a pale blue for the sleeves peplum. I plan on adding matching shimmer seed beads from the skirts.

Last edited by ayaasan : 03-23-2018 at 01:21 PM.