Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 06-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Exclamation Is It Time For General Bag/Purse Check At Conventions?

So I thought about this for the past week or so and I think it's time for this. Mainly because I'm preparing to go to my local anime convention in the very beginning of July.

This is what I'm referring to. Ever since the Orlando Florida Terror Attack happened, it made me think a little bit about the overall convention security as a whole. When it comes to the conventions that I attend, I never see anyone at the front or at least near Registration for bag/purse check for the con goers in general.

Honestly, in my personal opinion, I think it's time for ALL conventions: big, medium, small, local, distant, anime, sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, comic, etc. need to really consider a bag/purse check at the front of badge registration or at least at the front door of entering in the conventions themselves.

I know that conventions have "Weapons Policy", but that's mainly for the cosplayers in costumes that have props. Again, I know about Con Security being present, but sometimes, that's just not enough. I'm not condemning the Con Security, in fact, it helps ease my worries a little bit, and I know that the Convention Staff/Volunteers are doing what they can do physically and mentally, but these terror attacks are increasing with each passing year and they're happening more frequently at big events, just this recently at a night club, etc.

Believe it or not, that's how the Orlando terrorist got into the night club to begin with. The bouncers didn't do a bag/purse check at the front door. That literally meant that anyone and anything could go in undetected.

So guys. Give my your honest opinion on this matter. Do you think that it's time for all conventions to start having bag/purse check for con goers in general at the front doors or at least near the Registration area?

I'm not trying to sound like I'm paranoid or anything. Of course that's the last thing on anyone else's mind much less feel like going through that kind of time. I just don't want something similar to happen like Orlando Florida, when a simple bag/purse check for con goers in general, can stop something like this. Literally, anyone can just go up to Registration, pay for a badge and for the hotel, and act 'normal' without having a second thought about having their bags/purses checked.

I think of it like this. It's because of this method at the WD Theme Parks is what generally saved WDW from being shot up. It's something seriously to think about. In this day and time, we can't be careless about other people's safety. Especially when something so simple can prevent something major from happening.

Tidus from FFX-2 (Perfect ending)

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Nnnnnope. Not even vaguely entertaining that kind of fear where fear does not need to be.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Syon
leads the crusade

And...thats the moment I'm glad to be in Germany.
Unread 06-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Anime Boston has had full-on metal detectors AND bag checks since the Boston Marathon happened. Makes it a bit of a nightmare for people in big cosplays, but I could definitely see more cons at least adopting bag check for the future.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Some of the cons I go to have them (NYCC, PSX), but most don't. The bottleneck ing at entrances would actually create more of a security issue, IMHO.
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15, '16
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
belligerent
Viking Metal

I don't care what's in people's bags, I care what's in their minds.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I've had bag checks for evening events and dances (mostly, they're just checking for booze and drugs. ...one time I was carrying a small travel bottle of generic-brand tylenol that I COMPLETELY forgot was in my bag and hooo, embarassment while they pulled it out, scrutinized it and made me check it at the desk....), but I don't expect to see it being adopted at most of the Canadian cons here. You already can't get IN the door without a badge at larger cons; that alone would turn most people away if they specifically wanted to come in to cause trouble. And outside cons, well, there's not really anything you can do, but being able to just run does lower your risk right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Once a security measure is established, even if it's obnoxious and unwarranted and functionally useless, it is very VERY hard to get rid of it. Be wary of that when suggesting MORE security, MORE scrutiny.

I'm looking at you, TSA. I'm looking at you, no-tolerance policies at schools. Also at metal detectors at conventions. At RFID chips in passports. Border walls. Cops in tanks. Et cetera.

Scared people see these things as reasonable ways to feel less scared. And once they're established, they're even more reasonable because they're the way things are and inertia's easy. Relaxing is hard when you're scared. Resisting the urge to clamp down on something, anything you can reach, so you can feel safer--that is very, very hard.

Do it anyway. Relax. Some things definitely need to change, but people carrying bags at conventions is not one of them.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #9
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

There are bag checks at Tora-con, but they're quick scans rather than TSA-style checks.
Honestly, cosplayers are not a group likely to be targeted. We get the WBC whining outside the con, we get the norms turning up their noses, we don't get mass shootings. The Orlando shooter specifically targeted LGBTQ people, he may have been targeting Black and Latinx people as well- So far, G-d forbid it ever should, nothing on this scale has happened to the cosplay community.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Scared people see these things as reasonable ways to feel less scared.
This is also likely a reason behind why it's so hard to get actual gun control measures passed despite the fact that control does not equal "take them all away." BUT BUT IF THEY TAKEN AWAY OUR GHUNS THEN WHUT WILL WE DO WHEN THEM FURRNERS INVADE GERGIA AGIN
Unread 06-17-2016, 12:48 AM   #11
jdcooper97
Huge Nerd

Every con should have a bag check at the entrance. Period.
Unread 06-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #12
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

the proplem with checks, looking at TSA
they dont seem to catch things that youd think theyd be looking for
example, underwear bomber, shoe bomber, ...airplane attack using box cutter

things like the TSA only serve to make people feel safer

actually there was an episode of "Adam Ruins Everything" specifically on
false securities, show also shows where they get thier info from aswell
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2016, 03:54 AM   #13
Shienra

Here in Belgium we weren't even allowed to take backpacks (and any purses larger than A4) into the con because of the terrorrist attacks that happened in Brussels. Which is from one side completely understandable (and good. Just a shame if you happen to cosplay a character with a backpack or don't want to spend a lot of money to water inside the con), but like Albus said, if people really want to they can carry bombs or other weapons in their clothes.

Ciri alternative outfit - The Witcher
Merrill - Dragon age 2 (2018)

//Instagram//Facebook(cosplay)//Tumblr//Art Tumblr//
Shienra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2016, 04:59 AM   #14
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictamnus Albus View Post
the proplem with checks, looking at TSA
they dont seem to catch things that youd think theyd be looking for
example, underwear bomber, shoe bomber, ...airplane attack using box cutter

things like the TSA only serve to make people feel safer

actually there was an episode of "Adam Ruins Everything" specifically on
false securities, show also shows where they get thier info from aswell
I saw the same on a TV show, which debunked the security messurements about fluids that good harsher after 9/11. Result: You need less liquid than the minimum allowence to blow up a row of airline seats. The only one who benefits from the security messurements are the shops behind the security check, because it forces people to buy everything.

And the most ridicoulus thing that happened to me: I once did a long distant flight, were I had to switch planes at an airport in Paris. Just straight walking from one airplane to the other, not leaving the gate area at all. What happened before boarding? Another security checkpoint. I had to leave my bottle, that I brought at the starting airport. The bottle that had already been on an airplane moments ago.
This isn't security.
Unread 06-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
belligerent
Viking Metal

i don't want them to check my bag at a con because they'll take away the 14 liters of vodka I keep in it