Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #42916
sandysaur

I need to get motivated and sew things and dye things and all kinds of stuff. I have so many supplies and so much extra time, I need to do stuff. Any tips for getting motivated?
sandysaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #42917
SabienStrange
likes italian sharks

I'm cosplaying Sebastian at the end of this year. I can't find the right pattern for a tailcoat, because I don't want to buy and alter one and the one I need is out of print. I have to make pants, find proper shoes that will add height but hide them with the pants, figure out what the perfect wig would be, figure out wtf to do with his makeup and how to lighten my skin a touch with it, and a few other things I don't even want to think about.

I don't know why, but I have never been this terrified about working on a costume before. I think it's because he's so perfect, I don't want to screw anything up.
SabienStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #42918
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysaur View Post
I need to get motivated and sew things and dye things and all kinds of stuff. I have so many supplies and so much extra time, I need to do stuff. Any tips for getting motivated?
Make a list of everything you need to do, and sort it in a way that makes sense to you. Either based on character or things to sew, or things to dye.

Pick one thing to do and set a timer for one hour, work on that thing for an hour. If an hour passes and you're on a roll keep going, if you feel like stopping then stop.

Sometimes setting a random deadline for a costume piece helps. Right now my deadlines are finish my Daria skirt by Friday and finish the embroidery for a masquerade costume on Thanksgiving.

Reminds me I need to pin the hem on my skirt so I can finish it tomorrow.
Unread 09-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #42919
sandysaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotohanabi View Post
Make a list of everything you need to do, and sort it in a way that makes sense to you. Either based on character or things to sew, or things to dye.

Pick one thing to do and set a timer for one hour, work on that thing for an hour. If an hour passes and you're on a roll keep going, if you feel like stopping then stop.

Sometimes setting a random deadline for a costume piece helps. Right now my deadlines are finish my Daria skirt by Friday and finish the embroidery for a masquerade costume on Thanksgiving.

Reminds me I need to pin the hem on my skirt so I can finish it tomorrow.
So like a to do list? That's perfect. I love the feeling of crossing something off a to do list, it's awesome. The timer is a good idea. Thank you!
sandysaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #42920
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

Dress, top and wig ordered for Derpy. ♥ Now I just need tights, some material to stitch on her cutie mark, some FIMO to make the ears (+ elastic) and some foam sheets, paint and glue to make her the wings.
Nathus Dorkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #42921
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotohanabi View Post
Daria? You're doing Daria?! You are awesome!!!

2018 Conventions: Marcon, DragonCon
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #42922
Platch

I'm just gonna ask here instead of making a new thread for a simple question:

I'm 5'4", pretty skinny, and going to crossplay a full grown man who is muscular but lean. Like an average build. I have been looking at fabric and realized I had a problem. Do I use a female or male pattern? I don't want to look so obviously female. http://wallpapercavern.com/wallpaper...1-1280x800.jpg
Here's a link just so everyone knows what the hell I am talking about. Also, should I make a jumpsuit or a two piece outfit? I haven't sewn anything completely by myself in like 7 years and it was a simple project. I am extremely novice but like challenges. This however, is becoming harder and harder the more I plan out haha.
Platch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #42923
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

I seriously need my mom to help me figure the hem length for this skirt before cutting out the panels. I really want to get this done and haven't touched it since before Dragon*Con. I r sad in face
Unread 09-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #42924
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

I'm having skirt troubles too XXDD
how do anime characters have such bloody long legs!!!! I'm making a skirt I'm assuming by the charas image it comes to the tips of her fingers... well that it mid thigh ...... too bad thats just 3 or so inches above my knee (my fingertips) >_<;;; If I make it visually correct... it will be indecent XD

Measure twice cut once right? >_<;;

COSPLAYS
Cardcaptor Sakura Clear card Heart dress
Random Neko....
Grey Chocobo Kigurumi
solstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #42925
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platch View Post
I'm just gonna ask here instead of making a new thread for a simple question:

I'm 5'4", pretty skinny, and going to crossplay a full grown man who is muscular but lean. Like an average build. I have been looking at fabric and realized I had a problem. Do I use a female or male pattern? I don't want to look so obviously female. http://wallpapercavern.com/wallpaper...1-1280x800.jpg
Here's a link just so everyone knows what the hell I am talking about. Also, should I make a jumpsuit or a two piece outfit? I haven't sewn anything completely by myself in like 7 years and it was a simple project. I am extremely novice but like challenges. This however, is becoming harder and harder the more I plan out haha.
Personally, I would get into anything you would be wearing under the crossplay and take your measurements and get the male pattern. But I haven't had much experience making men's clothes for my crossplays. The people in the crosslpay forum are really good and would probably be able to tell you for sure.

2018 Conventions: Marcon, DragonCon
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #42926
ローレン

Almost done with my Wang Yuanji cosplay~! YES! : D
Unread 09-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #42927
Quinn the Shiki
I'm in Raffaenzo Hell

I actually said this today:

"God Berthie, Stop being such a Lard Ass and Carry your own sword for once"

I'm trying to see how tall the sword is in relation to him so I know how tall I need to make it, but it's always strapped to his back or stuck in a zombie.

Me thinks I might be obsessing. just a bit.
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) Jessica Jones-Netflix's Defenders (revamp,) Keith-Macross Delta, Diana Cavendish-Little Witch Academia, Shinjuro Kurama-Kamisama Kiss (Revamp,) Liv Moore-iZombie, Newt Scamander-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Licht von Granzreich-The Royal Tutor, Leo Baskerville-Pandora Hearts, Maki Nishikino-Love Live (Christmas outfit)
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #42928
Angel Miki
Imperfect Angel

So I'll have to go out shopping for a book for a friend because I ruined her original copy (by accident), but I may be able to convince Mom to also stop by Ross, Target, and Micheal's after BAM!, so I can check out (and possibly buy) things for cosplays. x3 *crosses fingers*

@Quinn: Show me a picture of it on his back and tell me his height and I might be able to give a guesstimate.
OtherCurrentWIPs: Ruby Rose (RWBY - 5%) Taiga Aisaka (Toradora - 0%) Namine (Kingdom Hearts - 0%)

Last edited by Angel Miki : 09-22-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Angel Miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #42929
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Guh. Asked a commissioner to make my bro shades, and she said she couldn't. Then she emailed me back and said she could, with conditions. I accepted the conditions, and then she said nevermind.

GOD DAMN. How the hell am I supposed to get bro shades if no one makes them? 8I Its like, black kamina shades, guys.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #42930
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I just saw episode 11 of Blood C and it really wants me to cosplay Saya now. >_<. I cannot add another cosplay to the list. Resist self...resist...

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote