Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 07-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
SSJ3MJ

Critique my sword please.

After 6 months of setbacks, I finally finished my sword. This sword was both fun and VERY exhausting to complete. I'm a total amateur at this and I only got 8 months of cosplay experience. So this is one hell of a prop I picked to make and after like 3 tries I somehow pulled it off. So It would be nice to hear some feedback from some cosplayers with more experienced than me.

One part I hated most about this prop was the long hours of sanding in 98 degree weather.

http://fav.me/dbez4ae

Also, whats the best color red to simulate blood? I have enough material to make another sword and this time I want to put blood dripping all over it. Anyone know any tricks that can give me a blood dripping effect on a sword?

Last edited by SSJ3MJ : 07-09-2017 at 02:01 AM.
SSJ3MJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

It's ok that you only have some experience - we have to start from somewhere, right? For your first time I think you nailed it. I think your patience for that degree of detail shows, and so does your overall effort.
I know how you feel, I had to sand my Sailor Venus sword in hot weather too, not fun. For fake blood, costume stores, Amazon among other stores/sites sell it, and I believe there's a tutorial to make your own edible blood using syrup and red food colouring, I think up on CosplayTutorial.com:
http://www.cosplaytutorial.com/list.php

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Overall, this is LOVELY, especially for your first build! The time you put into the details definitely shows through. Your detail work is clean, you account for texture, and the paint job is nice and even.

The only suggestion I have is to take your paint job to the next level-- try some weathering. Most of your silver parts on the blade do have a metallic look, but it's kind of flat-- work in some more highlights and shadows, and it'll pop even more.

As for blood, there are a million different recipes for stage blood-- just google around, and then look at final photos depending on if you want fresh vs dried, clumpy vs runny, etc. You can also buy stage blood in huge containers on Amazon and other places! Look for brands like Mehron or Ben Nye that people rec for stage makeup here on the forums.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2017, 02:59 AM   #4
SSJ3MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
It's ok that you only have some experience - we have to start from somewhere, right? For your first time I think you nailed it. I think your patience for that degree of detail shows, and so does your overall effort.
I know how you feel, I had to sand my Sailor Venus sword in hot weather too, not fun. For fake blood, costume stores, Amazon among other stores/sites sell it, and I believe there's a tutorial to make your own edible blood using syrup and red food colouring, I think up on CosplayTutorial.com:
http://www.cosplaytutorial.com/list.php
Thanks It amazes me how I manged to pull this all off. This build wasn't cheap ether. I didn't think cosplay builds could get so expensive. The real metal bolts are one of my favorite details about the sword. I could have just cut out 28 hex shapes out of foam, but I went with metal bolts to add more to the illusion that it looks like a metal sword. And cutting metal with a dermal is very tedious.
Unread 07-09-2017, 03:08 AM   #5
SSJ3MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
Overall, this is LOVELY, especially for your first build! The time you put into the details definitely shows through. Your detail work is clean, you account for texture, and the paint job is nice and even.

The only suggestion I have is to take your paint job to the next level-- try some weathering. Most of your silver parts on the blade do have a metallic look, but it's kind of flat-- work in some more highlights and shadows, and it'll pop even more.

As for blood, there are a million different recipes for stage blood-- just google around, and then look at final photos depending on if you want fresh vs dried, clumpy vs runny, etc. You can also buy stage blood in huge containers on Amazon and other places! Look for brands like Mehron or Ben Nye that people rec for stage makeup here on the forums.
Thanks. My goal was to make it shinny and metallic as possible like just in the movie. There are scenes in the movie where the sword looks so shinny Cloud's faces reflected in the sword.

I though about doing weathering but I'm not too good at it but I'm willing to give it a try. What parts do you think I should weather?

When I comes to blood I'm looking for a fresh blood dripping down the edge of the blade going into slashing motion look.
Unread 07-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

When it comes to weathering, you generally do all of it-- anything you painted with a flat base coat. Easiest way to start is to read/watch some tutorials on weathering silver armor, because the paint technique is the same. You'll generally want to add your shadows / "grime" buildup to the outer edges, especially where you've got stacked up layers. Eg, the areas you'd probably want to weather most on this sword would be around the screw/rivets, and the parts of the sword with the semi-circle "teeth" are.

Best of luck!
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Great shape to this. Well done.

I agree with StarsOfCassiopeia that the paint job could use some fine tuning. Weathering is great, but also so more highlights and lowlights. This will give a greater contrast to the different elements and make edges and lines clearer. Look at the reference pictures again. Where are there shadows? Make those areas a little darker. Where does the light reflect or shine off it? Make those areas lighter. Same thing for weathering. Look at reference pictures of real swords that have been handled for years. What does it look like at try to replicate that.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote