Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #20176
ilafatyu
That guy

That terrible moment you realize that you can see the wefts, but it's too late to do anything about it.

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren (Fire Emblem), Fox (RWBY)
Upgrading : Sheik (armor), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #20177
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Needing more than a swatch's worth of fabric but way less than the minimum fabric buy requirement. -_-

Oh and the seemingly utter lack of solid gray velboa fabric.

And also when shipping is more than the actual item itself. I really want to get these boots for Heroine but the shipping costs more than the boots themselves. -_-

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

Last edited by TMLiza : 03-12-2013 at 04:20 PM.
TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #20178
MalteseLizzie

Corset pieces not matching up when you pin them-ARRRRGGGHH. That and realising that you have to make lining for the corset, which means sewing 12 more pieces of fabric together.

Currently Working On:
Sansa Stark (Direwolf Dress): Embroidery, Dress, Cloak
Planned:
Astrid (HTTYD 2)
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #20179
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talossa View Post
This, so much.

Con-goers use the hotel in a way that's VERY different from the way the average hotel guest does. We bring a lot more junk with us, and generate a lot more trash as, unlike a tourist or business traveler, we tend to bring more of our own food in and spend more time in the room itself. The hotel cleaning staff are there to tidy the rooms - i.e., change the linens, vacuum, empty the trash bin, etc. Scraping body paint off of every available surface is absolutely not part of their normal job duties, and it's really not reasonable to leave something like that for them to take care of. It's basic common courtesy, people.
I worked as a housekeeper for a while and that job is HARD... this also pisses me off.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #20180
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseLizzie View Post
Corset pieces not matching up when you pin them-ARRRRGGGHH. That and realising that you have to make lining for the corset, which means sewing 12 more pieces of fabric together.
So much this. Especially since I just had to redesign one of my costumes to include a corset instead of the off the shoulder evening gown I had planned. It'll still be off the shoulder, but I need the corset support.

Corelary: Undergarments. Finding appropriate, semi-affordable ones that actually do their job and fit. Strapless with a bit of "oomph", in my size... I can't find one. And I'm nervous about buying online.

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #20181
guardianterra

Not ironing your costume...Or steaming it or any thing...Just irks me. More so if you don't iron it well sewing.

Silly yes but the number of "Bad" cosplays that could be saved just by taking a few moments and pressing out the nasty wrinkles makes me sad. The hotel provides an iron and it is easy to do and make things just look put together and neat. Heck even hanging it up in the bathroom when you take a shower can help.

Folk who don't listen to con staff...We are over worked not paid and probably should have on a little white jacket...Just because X character has y weapon doesn't make it a safe choice at cons, nor dose stopping in the middle of the hall for photos. Be understanding, yes some people can be dicks about it if they are tired or frustrated but most staff really want you to have a good time and we don't hate you, other wise why would we do this?? But we have to keep an eye on you and your safety and asking you to move or not do some thing is needed to make sure the event keeps going and you don't get to meet the med team. Really give a staffer hug...or pat on the head or food...we like food.... because other wise you wouldn't have event to cosplay at and that would suck.

Also I loath the drama....Honestly if you are that darn good, well then good for you no need to be nasty to others and stir up trouble. Instead talk with people make friends this is a hobby not next top cosplayer winner rules the fabric universe...and if you don't win the cosplay contest no big deal. Tears and drama about it just make the coordinator cry and you look like an idiot. Come back with some thing bigger badder and better for next time or try another contest...and remember life isn't fair nor will it ever be big kid panties and move on.

Clockwork_Ducky-I know your pain >__>;;; I have been hunting for a bra for weeks...gonna have to give the sister sizing a go as I have decided that my bra size is beyond limited. Perhaps try a place that has a local store you can return to if it doesn't work or dance supply stores. And sadly some times tossing down hard cash for the undergarments is worth it...all my good bras (AKA paid more then 7.00) have lasted and lasted and lasted. And if the base isn't right then the rest is just a waste

Dragon 2015;
Elemental Dragon/Faerie thing
Steampunks
guardianterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #20182
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
My peeve recently has been clients who don't send me any messages after they get their outfit. No Thank yous or I love it, or here's a picture of it, I don't even know if they got it I find out after finding images online.
I put a lot of work into my commissions I would think these people could at least tell me when they get it.
Just out of curiosity, have you tried contacting them a little while after you sent it out, asking if they got it, and how it is, kind of a follow up email? It might help ferret out some feedback.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #20183
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Tacky glue and Hair spray taking hours to dry properly... Trying to defy gravity is hard.
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #20184
Blood_Sword
aka Shiro Samurai

Wanting to try new materials/techniques but being afraid of messing up... *looks at plastic for Masamune's armor*
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #20185
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangledinblue View Post
This brings me to another peeve I have, not respecting the hotel staff. It really gets to me when I hear stories like this or people leaving their rooms a mess and being like "Lolz it's their job to clean it anyways!" It's just rude. I've seen people shouting at the staff cause either the room didn't have any extra towels, or they refused to give them more keys for all the 14 people in their room. They're doing their best to accommodate you, just be nice and courteous toward them, it goes a long way ( and if you do leave your room a mess, and there is nothing you can do about it, tip the housekeepers.)
This! At my first out-of-state con, my roommates trashed the room and would not help me pick it up. One of them even threw a fit because I said we weren't leaving until we got the trash up. And two of them thought it was funny to take home "souvenirs", by stealing the glasses and coffee mugs from the room. I didn't want to be seen with them after that because I was so embarrassed by their behavior. I ultimately took my last $20, left it on the counter, with a note saying "Sorry for the mess."

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #20186
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Sword View Post
Wanting to try new materials/techniques but being afraid of messing up... *looks at plastic for Masamune's armor*
I feel your pain. For my Fushimi cosplay I would love for my sword to light up. But having never done something like that before, and not being the best at props, I'm too scared to go through with it.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #20187
CaptainLiney
call me space cheeto

Wigs not cooperating. I've never styled a wig more than hanging my Karkat wig upside down and spraying got2be on it or cutting bangs or shortening and layering wigs that are too long and well

MTAC's coming up really soon and I decided like two weeks ago, "Oh, I'm going to cosplay Trickster Dirk since I have a red wig laying around that I'll never use for anything else" and well Dirk's hair isn't the most complicated thing ever but this is proving to be pretty difficult?

Also, "winging-it" and ordering things online and hoping they'll be the right color and getting them and nope. I ordered some orange suspenders for Dirk because they looked like the same color at the pants I had. I got them yesterday and they were neon orange, and my pants are a little bit darker and not orange. I got lucky this time because I decided instead of painting darker stripes on it, I'll tape off the stripes and spray paint the fluorescent orange as the main color so they'll match the suspenders. I figured if it's all neon it'll look more trickster-y and come in handy at the rave.

And last thing: hair growing out really fast except when I need it to. I'm genderbending Jane for MTAC and I didn't want to change her hair very much but I'm not going to have bangs because I buzzed my hair a month ago. Go me.
CaptainLiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #20188
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you tried contacting them a little while after you sent it out, asking if they got it, and how it is, kind of a follow up email? It might help ferret out some feedback.
Yes I have. After my "I just shipped your outfit, here's how to care for it, let me know when it gets there and if you have any questions. Send me pictures! Thank you" E-mail. After no response I usually send another in a week or two again to no response.
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #20189
Amanita

^Ack, that sucks!
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #20190
deidei_sempai
chalky

Pet-peeve: People that wear thigh highs that are too tight for them so it squishes the thighs and doesn't look good :<

Cosplay list:
Zone-Sama: 0%
Meenah: 5%
jane crocker:5%
Jake english:90%
Link:5%
Soft Grunge! Nepeta: 10%
Cal: 0%
deidei_sempai is offline   Reply With Quote