Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #5026
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

New peeve.... stretch vinyl.... 2-way or 4-way u.u; that stuff needs to die! I can't tell you how hard it is making pants, gloves, and other obscure pieces of costumey bits from that stuff >_<

You can't pin it or you make holes in the material so you either don't use pins or have to use tape u.u :: sigh :: guess I will suck it up and keep on movin' forward with this stuff!
ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #5027
Crazy Flower
C-Flo in the Hi-zouse!!

My current peeve is laziness. Why can't I get this costume started!? (Maybe it's because of the intense embroidery I'll have to do with the belt, the sleeves and the top.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHawke78 View Post
C-Flo and her magical behind...
THE WORLD'S BEST SUPERPOWER!!!
Crazy Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #5028
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Newest Pet Peeve: There only being one COSPLAY CON IN MINNESOTA! It is soo annoying! We need more, and we need big ones because I cannot go to another state for a con! I have so many costumes I want to do!

zipperhead535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #5029
Spookloops
We Broke It.

Today's pet peeve: scalloped edges. I haven't done enough to be good at them, not have I quite learned how to finish them nicely... so my current project? NOTHING BUT SCALLOPS. By the end of this, I better be a master at scallops, and better not destroy any more fabric (I keep practicing on scraps of the same material... which turns out great. As soon as I try on the project itself, the sewing machine things my fabric is mighty tasty.)

Soo, um, if anyone has tips, please PM. I'll be grateful. I'm gonna go look for threads and google how-tos now.
Unread 07-30-2007, 11:29 PM   #5030
crazymiko
Fiberglass Impaired

Heat-n-Bond. Absolutely wonderful and amazing but it likes to toy with my emotions. I swear there's always one section that randomly decides not to stick. I'm about to fabritac that sucker like there's no tomorrow. -.- Sometimes I wish paint would work as well but this just has a nice look, my paint-fu isn't strong enough for larger work.
crazymiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #5031
CherryBomb
Here to devour your moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoggyWooWoo View Post
My new pet peeve: when someone e-mails/PM's you for help (asking a vague question), and you write up a long, detailed response (in this case, covering the construction of TWO costumes). And they never reply to thank you, or ask additional questions. I didn't have to provide all that information, you could have figured it out on your own like I did.
This happens to me too!! I take my time trying to explain my hodge podge methods, say 'hope that helps!' and then I get no response. I'm not looking for thank you's in particular, I just want to know if the info was useful or confusing or just not what they were looking for all together. It's like talking to a blank wall...
CherryBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #5032
ravenmist
I love lamp.

New peeve...can't find the right black boots. Simple lace-up, ankle black boots...nada. =( I've searched so many stores and so many sites and nothing! At least nothing within my budget. $99 for what I need...don't think so!
Oh and running out of fabric when you're finally on a roll with a costume. Yeah. Guess where I'm going tomorrow? lol.

2013 Conventions:
Emerald City Comicon
Sakuracon

Elizabeth - Bioshock Infinite, Oswin Oswald - Doctor Who, Twilight Sparkle - MLP: FIM, Arwen - LOTR
ravenmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 12:55 AM   #5033
winterserenity
★ ♥ ♠

^ Snaz75.com rocks for boots!
Unread 07-31-2007, 02:36 AM   #5034
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonLordEtna View Post
New peeve.... stretch vinyl.... 2-way or 4-way u.u; that stuff needs to die! I can't tell you how hard it is making pants, gloves, and other obscure pieces of costumey bits from that stuff >_<

You can't pin it or you make holes in the material so you either don't use pins or have to use tape u.u :: sigh :: guess I will suck it up and keep on movin' forward with this stuff!
You actually CAN use pins on vinyl. You just pin inside the seam allowance, so it won't show. And honestly, you really can use a certain amount of pins normally without it actually obviously showing. Pin gathering? Nope. Holding a few small things in place with very sharp pins that you're careful using? Not a problem. I can't even find the pin holes on my Wrath or Giorno costumes, which are vinyl and which I used pins on, and that's when I'm looking for them. It helps to use extra sharp small pins, like silk pins.
Unread 07-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #5035
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanyaanFaery View Post
You actually CAN use pins on vinyl. You just pin inside the seam allowance, so it won't show. And honestly, you really can use a certain amount of pins normally without it actually obviously showing. Pin gathering? Nope. Holding a few small things in place with very sharp pins that you're careful using? Not a problem. I can't even find the pin holes on my Wrath or Giorno costumes, which are vinyl and which I used pins on, and that's when I'm looking for them. It helps to use extra sharp small pins, like silk pins.
Yeah, but my problem is that if i'm top stitching something the pin holes are kind of easy to spot, well, if you're looking. I just limit myself A LOT and try using other things to hold the vinyl (tape and such) =P I also hate when you're top stitching it and you mess up and have to re-do it a few times so then pin holes (from the sewing needle) become obvious >_< doh!
ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #5036
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

I cannot find the right shade of red fabric that I need for my next cosplay. I hate that most of the reds look very cheap and faded, whereas I need a vibrant red. Grrr...stupid game illustrators...grrr...awesome costume with nearly impossible colors...grrr.

www.firelilycosplay.com
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #5037
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lily View Post
I cannot find the right shade of red fabric that I need for my next cosplay. I hate that most of the reds look very cheap and faded, whereas I need a vibrant red. Grrr...stupid game illustrators...grrr...awesome costume with nearly impossible colors...grrr.
that really sucks because the store right next to my house has really vibrant reds..maybe you could try hand-dying?

Unread 08-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #5038
Fire Lily
Jack of Most Trades

The fabric I want to use ideally is a polyester blend, so the dye will not take to the fabric. But I'm hitting up more fabric stores tomorrow and I know I'll find something ^.^

And blonde wigs do nothing for me...well, I suppose blue ones don't either, but blonde just might be the end of me, and I need a big voluminous one at that!

www.firelilycosplay.com
Fire Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #5039
Katsumiyo
Homework Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextbestauthor View Post
This may sound a bit selfish, I don't know...
but whenever I go to a con and ask politely for pictures from cosplayers who I think did an amazing job--a particular number won't do it, or do it reluctantly. I mean I know they've probably been posing all day and are tired, but I just don't like the attitude they give me. I mean you cosplay for a reason, right?
I totally agree. I understand if they've been posing for over a few minutes without a break--my friend and I got caught in a "camera trap" and were posing for about five minutes and that can get frustrating--but as for posing repeatedly, then as a cosplayer, you should be ready for that. And people who ruin good pictures by not being serious or looking uppity or frustrated really disappoint people that like the character or are impressed by the cosplay.
To be honest, my other pet peeve at the moment is people not wearing make-up "because they don't like it". This is probably the stupidest excuse I've ever heard. Every good cosplayer, the cosplays you look at and go, "Wow!" have make-up on. About 85% of 'perfect' Japanese cosplays you've seen have been photoshopped beyond humanity. Make-up is an essential part of cosplay, and your unwillingness to wear it just because you don't like it reflects on how much you truly care about your costume. I've noticed that over half the cosplayers that do not wear make-up also have...how to put this? costumes that are not as nice as they could be. Also, if you're ZOMG ALLERGIC, chances are you're allergic to one or two ingredients, so do some internet research on anti-allergenic make-up and I guarantee you'll get results.
tl;dr if you're cosplaying, expect people to take pictures, and wear make-up even if BAWWW YOU NO LIKEY
In Progress | Vault 34 Jumpsuit | Sniper Wolf
Planned | Catwoman | Snow White
Cons | ALA | AOD | Cherry Blossom Festival | Fanime
Katsumiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #5040
zipperhead535
The Norwegian Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsumiyo View Post
tl;dr if you're cosplaying, expect people to take pictures, and wear make-up even if BAWWW YOU NO LIKEY
lmfao XD but what if you are doing a crossplay? Such as Howl or Bakura? Is that an exception? I can understand foundation..but that's the extent of my makeup skills besides putting on lipgloss and chapstick