Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Scunosi

How to fake a cable sweater look?

I've been gathering materials and tutorials to get started on Wicke from Pokémon Sun and Moon. I'm getting a little hung-up on her sweater of all things.

As you can see it isn't just a flat pink sweater, it's...something. I'm not sure what the right terms are since I don't knit or crochet, but it's got cables? Or cords? Not braided but they're still there delineating the sweater for a pretty distinct look, as in it'd be pretty obvious if I went without. I know you shouldn't be a slave to 100% accuracy but I feel it's pretty important to the outfit.

I'd love to just be able to sew my own (especially since I'm aiming for a rather chunky turtleneck, too) but I haven't been able to find any patterns for sweaters other than for knitting, and I can't say I've ever seen fabric mimicking that look in stores. I can however find plenty of almost there sweaters online, and was wondering if there's a way I could try to fake the look.

I was thinking I could try just adding thick stiches all over the sweater, with black or dark pink thread, but I'd be worried this would heavily restrict the fabric and possibly make it unwearable. Another option would be to just paint the lines on, and I'd likely be going light enough that it wouldn't restrict the fabric as much, but still less than ideal to me. And of course I'll keep peaking into thrift stores to see if I make a lucky find there, but I'd like to know I have a solid fallback. Are there any other methods (or possibly just patterns and fabrics) I should be aware of that could produce a pretty believable fake?

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2017

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)

Working On
Wicke (Pokémon S&M)

Last edited by Scunosi : 01-11-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
TeaForThought
Knows nothing

It looks like it's just a thick ribbed sweater to me. Try searching for a ribbed knit sweater or fabric and you might have better luck.

Something like this, yeah?

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/info.html...FVI8gQod-aMIKQ
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Yea that's literally just a rib-knit sweater (rib-knit is what they are called, because it looks like ribbing)
-Some Fashion-y Crap....lol
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
Scunosi

So that's the word I wanted! The stuff I'm finding is a lot more relevant now.

...now this is going to sound fetishy but the ribbed sweaters I'm finding still just aren't big enough. Not shirt size, but the "ribs" on her sweater are really wide. Looking over the selection of existing ribbed sweaters I'm thinking I may not be able to find exactly what I want.

Assuming I end up making my own fake "ribs," do you think the stitch or paint methods would be better for adding detail to a flat turtleneck sweater? I'm leaning toward paint personally, it'll just take a lot of tape to get lines that aren't all wavy.

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2017

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)

Working On
Wicke (Pokémon S&M)
Unread 01-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

You may be able to make fake "ribs" by essentially creating vertical pleats.

Take your fabric, pinch a small but even ridge to the underside, and sew it with a stretch stitch. Do this in multiple parallel lines. It would basically involve folding the fabric in half at the location you want the rib and then sewing very close to the fold. Experiment to see what kinds of effects you can get and how much excess fabric you'll need to pattern for.

This is probably the only way I can think of besides knitting it yourself to get ribs that large and cartoonish. It would still have the depth and texture of a rib, since the material would be ribbed at that point, but the ribs would be fake. I think that the success of this method would depend on your skill in sewing even parallel lines and how thick of a knit you end up using.
Unread 01-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
So that's the word I wanted! The stuff I'm finding is a lot more relevant now.

...now this is going to sound fetishy but the ribbed sweaters I'm finding still just aren't big enough. Not shirt size, but the "ribs" on her sweater are really wide. Looking over the selection of existing ribbed sweaters I'm thinking I may not be able to find exactly what I want.

Assuming I end up making my own fake "ribs," do you think the stitch or paint methods would be better for adding detail to a flat turtleneck sweater? I'm leaning toward paint personally, it'll just take a lot of tape to get lines that aren't all wavy.
Oh, yea..That isn't gonna happen. sweaters with ribbing as large as the ones on Wicke's sweater, don't exist. That's just a drawing, a very unrealistic one at that in terms of that sweater. Honestly if you don't want a sweater in the largest ribbed sizes I've ever found (Around the same size as the one used in my cloud cosplay: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3368179/) then I'd say just make it, and do a normal fabric with black lines going vertically down it. You could do this with fabric paint, making the lines using stitch on a sewing machine, or even sewing strips onto it.
-Some Fashion-y Crap....lol
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
You may be able to make fake "ribs" by essentially creating vertical pleats.
This. I've used a standard flat knit before and done pin pleats across it to mimic this sort of look. Its the best way I know of to get that sort of look short of knitting something yourself or getting VERY lucky finding a donor sweater
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Penlowe

Depending on your budget, you could commission a sweater knitted up to be perfect. I know several really talented and fast knitters. Comissionning also allows you to select the fiber used, so a cotton or ramie or linen would be much more comfortable than a wool or acrylic which you'd find in a commercially made sweater.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
Penlowe

I checked with the speedy knitter I know who does commission work. "$200 ish plus yarn, 4-6 weeks". for reference my first sweater took me 6 months.
Unread 01-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlGlT View Post
This. I've used a standard flat knit before and done pin pleats across it to mimic this sort of look. Its the best way I know of to get that sort of look short of knitting something yourself or getting VERY lucky finding a donor sweater
Is there another name for pin pleats? I'm getting a lot of varying results online (a lot of curtains) and can't really tell what I'm looking for.

Also if I did this method would I do it before or after putting the garment together? I'm assuming before because it'll shorten any fabric length.

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2017

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)

Working On
Wicke (Pokémon S&M)
Unread 01-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #11
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

Pintucks, they're called pintucks. You can either pintuck a whole piece of fabric by machine before cutting your pieces out, or you can slash and spread the pattern to accomodate pintucks, cut your pieces out, and do the pintucks. Doing it beforehand will give you a neater look, but you'll need to match the tucks as if they were stripes across pattern pieces.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Pintucks!! that's the word I wasn't remembering.

I would personally do it before cutting the parts out, though both methods are fine, as detailed above.
Unread 01-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
Scunosi

Thanks for the help everybody. I think what I'll do is first try adding my own pintucks, because if I'm making it myself I can go with a thinner fabric (my main cons are at the beginning and ends of the hot season around here). If it doesn't work out or I run out of time I'll just go with fabric paint.

I am curious if I could add pintucks to an existing sweater but I imagine that would either involve fully taking it apart and re-building it, at which point it's the same amount of work as making it myself, or it would cause it to shift and fit terribly. Time to go shopping!

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2017

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)

Working On
Wicke (Pokémon S&M)
Unread 01-14-2017, 06:16 AM   #14
Penlowe

Quote:
it would cause it to shift and fit terribly.
this. it would work if you start with something too big for you, but then you have to tinker with sleeves and armscyes and bleah...