Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

The Official FF XI / XIV Cosplay Thread

well, I figured, there isn't much public love for final fantasy 11 and it's massive ammount of costumes...

and with 14 coming out, both of them being online, I figured why not combine them!

So is anybody thinking about doing a cosplay from 11 or 14?

I myself am Remaking my White Mage from 11, crossing over into the style of 14.
Soul Eater: Blaire(male)- Page 12, Chapter 73.
Male Dagger/Garnet: Final Fantasy-9

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Braithcakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Hey. Someone cares about 11. Hurray!

My first costume was the red mage artifact armor from 11. It was my dream outfit and when it was completed I thought I was done with 11 cosplay. http://www.cosplay.com/costume/269326/

Until my most recent convention when I found quite a few people in bst, mnk, whm, pld, and rdm form. So it's sparked an interest to make another 11 outfit. But I wanted to pick an established character.

To me, it feels that 11 is one of the least cosplayed of the final fantasy games, but NPC's are even fewer. I wanted to challenge myself in creating an outfit that is different from my previous cosplays, and to challenge my so-called acting skills. So I'm starting on Lilisette's outfit from the Wings of the Goddess expansion. Full on wig and everything. Her outfit is a variation on the Dancer artifact armor, so there are noticeable differences. And she has crazy hair. XD

I haven't considered 14 for cosplay, yet. I'm trying to keep my range diverse. I don't want to work solely on final fantasy costumes. However 14 is something I would look at down the road.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

=D

YAY!!

and yes it's kind of odd that FFXI is the least cosplayed, when it hast he most costumes in it, and is still the largest form of revenue square enix makes every year ._.

I just started playing again :'D

and yeah I saw someone walking around in paladin artifact armor and I was like YESSSS

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Aerin Ravage

Planning a Non-AF WHM

Hi all!

I too am an ardent XI supporter and am surprised at the low turnout ^^

In any case I'm trying to get my long-dreamed-of cosplay off the ground. It was always going to be a Mithran mage but I knew pretty early on that I wasn't going the AF route. In fact, I'm trying to get pieces matching the gear I wear 90% of the time when I'm White Maging.

Noble's Jacket, Blessed Mitts and Pants and Healer's Duckbills. I'd like to get my rings and earrings worked in there at some point.

In any case, this is my first cosplay and I'm learning a lot from the commissioning process. I thought I had one locked in but it looks like I may need to start again. I have seriously refined my item descriptions and figured out a few things. Like the fact I'm going to intentionally vary the look of the Noble's to look more druidic. I'm trying to be myself, as well as allow someone a little artistic creativity in personalizing my stuff.

Oh, if anyone has "tail" advice, I'd love to hear it! I've got what I think is a good idea for mounting the tail so it curves naturally away from the body, but it's just an idea. Maybe someone who's done a tailed cosplay has hard-won experience with tails?
Aerin Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerin Ravage View Post
Hi all!

In any case I'm trying to get my long-dreamed-of cosplay off the ground. It was always going to be a Mithran mage but I knew pretty early on that I wasn't going the AF route. In fact, I'm trying to get pieces matching the gear I wear 90% of the time when I'm White Maging.

Noble's Jacket, Blessed Mitts and Pants and Healer's Duckbills. I'd like to get my rings and earrings worked in there at some point.

In any case, this is my first cosplay and I'm learning a lot from the commissioning process. I thought I had one locked in but it looks like I may need to start again. I have seriously refined my item descriptions and figured out a few things. Like the fact I'm going to intentionally vary the look of the Noble's to look more druidic. I'm trying to be myself, as well as allow someone a little artistic creativity in personalizing my stuff.

Oh, if anyone has "tail" advice, I'd love to hear it! I've got what I think is a good idea for mounting the tail so it curves naturally away from the body, but it's just an idea. Maybe someone who's done a tailed cosplay has hard-won experience with tails?
I like the idea. I haven't seen a non-af 11 costume yet, so it'd be interesting.

As for tail, a friend recommended this website which has a video series on how to make life-like cat props. Granted it's called the "sexy cat costume" but you can at least watch the tail portion for tips XD:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2370817_ma...t-costume.html
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

Quote:
Hi all!

do you want the tail to be poseable? or do you want it to just dangle?

and if you do want it to be up and away from the body, chickenwire might be your best bet.

btw I love that you're planning on doing something so detailed as to even get the accessories that have no DAT appearance in-game. I'm working on my justice choker and my character's earrings, as well!

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Aerin Ravage

@tifaia: Thanks for the link. I watched both his tail and ears segments, and I think I may have more ambitious plans ^^

On the tail, my design calls for a stiff wire, wrapped in foam and sheathed in something soft, but probably not outright furry. The wire would allow for poseability, and will extend about an inch past the "body end".

My hopefully-doable idea here is to bend the wire down, forming maybe a 60-degree angle. In addition, I'll have on a thin pants belt, and on the belt will be a short, thin strip of rigid metal at the back. The bottom will be bent into a receiver for the tail wire. I wish I had a drawing of this...

Anyway, the whole assembly should work to keep the tail in place and cause it to curve naturally away from my body, rather than droop down limply. Also, it would be super-easy to remove and put on, like when I have to sit or drive.

On the ears, I've seen maybe two cosplay pictures where the cosplayer went where I want to go. If you imagine a largish isosceles triangle, and fold it in half so the two bottom points meet, you wind up with a smaller triangular shape with an opening into the middle. Color the inside pinky, the outside brown (or whatever) and presto! Tufts of fur can be added as needed for a more realistic look.

My plan is to elaborate on this by layering thin wire in the material so that not only will it hold its shape, I can "droop" the eartips down or point them as desired for a specific look.

@Braithcakes: I'm not sure if you're thinking I want the tail to curve upwards, above the beltline, but no. I'm after the XI "non-battle stance" tail curve. And on the accessories? Why not? :3 I actually have a custom "emblem" I want done on a White Cape (even though I wear Rainbow).

Thank you both for your feedback and ideas! I really hope to reach a deal with a crafter soon on this stuff. I *really* want my Noble's Jacket!
Aerin Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Thank you both for your feedback and ideas! I really hope to reach a deal with a crafter soon on this stuff. I *really* want my Noble's Jacket!
Not a problem. ^^ Make sure to upload pictures when you have your Noble's. I can't even begin to list the names of those who would love to have it. XD
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

ahhh I see.

sounds good =]

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Since 11 is going to be down for a butt ton of time today (9 hours on my day off, lame), I hope to have a good chunk of Lilisette done. I've just uploaded my finished Jambiya's (hurray!). Time to start harassing other 11 cosplayers to start posting. >.>
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Braithcakes
Doggie Ninja!

hehe I just quit FF11 but that doesn't mean I'm not still a huge fan D:

I just couldn't afford it anymore >_> what with working on cosplays and simultaneously trying to get through this con season while still saving up to visit london. oi.

xD

-dances around-

my white mage outfit is done, time to work on the hat.

2011 Cons:
Megacon '11
Metrocon '11
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Wenora
The Musical Mage

A fan of XI and most of my cosplays are from it. I actually tried to stay away and do something different but it always draws me back in..... >.<
I do love to make costumes of NPC's than job related armors unless I have to do it for someone. My husband and I planned to do a goblin and Verena for next year.

I'll be looking out for your costumes. =D I always like to see XI coslayers out there.

Last edited by Wenora : 07-13-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling grrr...
Wenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenora View Post
A fan of XI and most of my cosplays are from it. I actually tried to stay away and do something different but it always draws me back in..... >.<
I do love to make costumes of NPC's than job related armors unless I have to do it for someone. My husband and I planned to do a goblin and Verena for next year.

I'll be looking out for your costumes. =D I always like to see XI coslayers out there.

That'll be a fun match-up. Can't wait to see the outcome. ^^

BTW: I love your Lilisette costume. I have only been able to find 2 others dressed in DNC AF, so I've been going to your costume a lot as a reference. All of your costumes show great craftsmanship.

Last edited by tifaia : 07-14-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
Wenora
The Musical Mage

Thanks. I try... very hard lol.

Sometime in the future I would like to do something from XIV, something magey.
Wenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Lilisette is done!

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/312092/

Chance of recognition? 0. But that's ok. I'll have fun with it. At the very least, someone from 11 will be represented at the Final Fantasy group shoot at my next convention in a month. A big raspberry to all of the 7 and 13 cosplayers that push the other FF games out of the picture. >.>