Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 03-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #31
BrittanyDaile

Oooh, I've got some! (I work at a gas station.)

When people complain that they could have gotten something cheaper somewhere else. Like, okay, go there then and leave me alone!

When people get offended because you ask for ID for tobacco/liquor/lottery sales. I am not going to jail because some 19 year old thinks they look old enough to buy tobacco and so doesn't bring their ID with them! I had a guy one day who was livid (like, yelling and screaming and cursing) because I wouldn't accept his freaking HAND TATTOOS as a valid form of ID. Like, wtf?!?

When so many people have quit that everyone left is working 39 hours a week (because no one is allowed to get overtime!).

When it's been super busy and your boss gives you three massive projects on top of your regular side work and your coworker is only there for 3 hours and you somehow manage to get everything done except to change the outside trash and then your boss comes back and sees it and reams you for the one thing you couldn't get to instead of praising you for the ton of work you did do.
BrittanyDaile is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #32
Baix
Cos-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanyDaile View Post
Oooh, I've got some! (I work at a gas station.)

When people get offended because you ask for ID for tobacco/liquor/lottery sales. I am not going to jail because some 19 year old thinks they look old enough to buy tobacco and so doesn't bring their ID with them!

When so many people have quit that everyone left is working 39 hours a week (because no one is allowed to get overtime!).
On Point A - The 'sin age' is 18 here, but we still have to check if people look under 25

"Do I look like I'm under 18" - No, but you look under 25, why do you not have your ID in your wallet like a a responsible over 18er

On Point B - 39 hours in retail is basically a myth here, because full timers are expensive. Man there's been points in my life where I wish I could be doing 39 hours consistently

Blood Angel Scout - Warhammer 40k
Remy - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Future Cosplays

Blackbeard - Rainbow Six: Siege
Kragoth - Unreal Tournament '99
Tomas - Realm of the Damned/Sons of Balur
Jim Raynor (Unarmoured) - Starcraft

Dream Cosplays

Blood Angel Sanguinairy Guard - Warhammer 40k
Rin Hojo - Initial D: 5th Stage
Baix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #33
BrittanyDaile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baix View Post
On Point A - The 'sin age' is 18 here, but we still have to check if people look under 25

"Do I look like I'm under 18" - No, but you look under 25, why do you not have your ID in your wallet like a a responsible over 18er

On Point B - 39 hours in retail is basically a myth here, because full timers are expensive. Man there's been points in my life where I wish I could be doing 39 hours consistently
Yeah, we're supposed to check anyone who looks under 30 at my store. But people still get pissed (usually because they don't have an ID with them). Then they go out to the car and send a friend in to buy their stuff for them, and I have to explain to that person that I know they're just buying it for the other person so no, I can't sell it to them either.

39 hours sounded real awesome when I was just thinking about the paychecks. The reality has been horrific. I work three 12 hour shift every weekend, plus a 3 hour shift on Wednesdays. We don't get breaks, and the only time I get to sit is when I'm on the toilet. Honestly, this is probably the worst job I've ever had, but I couldn't find anywhere else that would work around my school schedule.
Unread 03-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #34
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baix View Post
Oh yeah, and any benefits that exist are only for the full-timers, which consists solely of a few managers you might have and if you want more hours you either get less or get absolutely inhuman breaking-labour-laws hours. That sure is fun. No guaranteed hours was by far my least favourite part of working retail because I'd have no idea how much money I'd earn in a month, so saving money was extremely difficult, and nearly impossible to have a second job with that if you had a completely unpredictable schedule.

Oh yeah- also, anyone had a manager that you had to seriously wonder how they even hold a retail job because they were so unpleasant, rude and snotty, and you can't complain how bitchy and mean they're being to another manager because there's only ever one on the floor at a time and it's usually them? Seriously, she routinely made my day go from halfway decent to nearly in tears over the TINIEST of things. One time, this was in jewellery again, I gushed over how gorgeous the earring sets were and how I need to seriously keep myself from blowing my whole paycheck on all the jewellery we had on sale (I did buy quite a bit, though....), what's her reaction? An extremely rude-toned "Then you shouldn't work in a jewellery shop." (Seriously? Loving and wanting the stuff WE'RE SELLING is a bad thing?!?!?!?) Other co-worker, by contrast? "I know, I want to wear EVERYTHING!". Or one time on break, I exchange a few pleasantries in the room so I'm not staring at the wall the whole time, I get a "Don't bother other people when they're on their breaks" from her afterward (well, the other coworker didn't seem horribly bothered by two minutes of small talk while waiting for the microwave and you were just glaring over your coffee...). Thankfully the job was only seasonal so after a few months I never had to deal with her again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 03-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #35
BrittanyDaile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Oh yeah- also, anyone had a manager that you had to seriously wonder how they even hold a retail job
YES!! There's a manager at the station who's been there for like, ever, but she's only an assistant. (She got passed over for store manager.) She only works days, so I rarely see her, but this one day we had to work together. So she tells me all about how the store manager said people on second shift are just terrible at their jobs and he knows the only way things will ever get done right is if he starts having her work second shift one day a week to train them. At that time, I was working second shift nearly every night of the week. I was just like, wtf?!
Unread 03-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #36
Baix
Cos-n00b

Quote:
39 hours sounded real awesome when I was just thinking about the paychecks. The reality has been horrific. I work three 12 hour shift every weekend, plus a 3 hour shift on Wednesdays. We don't get breaks, and the only time I get to sit is when I'm on the toilet. Honestly, this is probably the worst job I've ever had, but I couldn't find anywhere else that would work around my school schedule.
That's horrible. We wouldn't get rostered for more than a 9 hour day, with 2 15-minute paid breaks and an hour unpaid lunch. Problem is, they don't like paying those breaks, so landing a full day is hard. I had to split a shift up last year to fit in with my studies, meaning I do the same hours but over two days - and there's basically zero chance of reversing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
No guaranteed hours was by far my least favourite part of working retail because I'd have no idea how much money I'd earn in a month, so saving money was extremely difficult

Oh yeah- also, anyone had a manager that you had to seriously wonder how they even hold a retail job because they were so unpleasant, rude and snotty, and you can't complain how bitchy and mean they're being to another manager because there's only ever one on the floor at a time and it's usually them?

An extremely rude-toned "Then you shouldn't work in a jewellery shop."
No, my manager is pleasant enough to deal with... When I see him, which is like, once a week tops. Like, he works days, we work nights. There's some staff that don't even know who he is. And even though he's required, by law, to move shifts around to fit in with studies, it rarely happens - I've probably burnt through at least 60+ hours of holiday pay just to attend classes waiting for him to fix my roster. Hell, he's approached me in week 11 out of 12 being like "See, I did it for you"... Thanks for the help...

See here's the thing, I work in a grocery store, and it's basically a duopoly here. I basically can't avoid the place even if I wanted to. My cousin is helping me get/set up another job (Which I hate that it feels like I had to have family bail me out), so I hopefully only have to do it a little while longer. It does mean I've had to put my studies down for 12 months though.

And just to top it off:

First Read

We're already on the lower penalty rates...

Future Cosplays

Dream Cosplays

Last edited by Baix : 03-06-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Let's not link to scumbag Murdoch press
Unread 03-08-2017, 02:00 AM   #37
BrittanyDaile

Wait, you get paid more just for working on a Sunday?!? Holy crap! The only time I make more than my base pay is holidays, and then only for the ones the company recognizes (like Christmas).

Technically we're supposed to get breaks and a lunch if we work over a certain number of hours. But the last person to complain about it had his hours cut to 3 a week, until he quit, so no one else complains. After all, an awful job is better than no job.
Unread 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #38
Baix
Cos-n00b

Quote:
Wait, you get paid more just for working on a Sunday?!? Holy crap! The only time I make more than my base pay is holidays, and then only for the ones the company recognizes (like Christmas).

Technically we're supposed to get breaks and a lunch if we work over a certain number of hours. But the last person to complain about it had his hours cut to 3 a week, until he quit, so no one else complains. After all, an awful job is better than no job.
At least for now, yes, and also more for working nightshift (Usually between 10pm and 6am). Apparently we live in a 24 hours economy so the political party in power here (The not-so-liberal Liberal Party) is trying to change that, yet all of our public holidays are on weekdays, even when the day itself is on a weekend. Guess that "No such thing as weekends" only applies to people who aren't stuck in dead end jobs (Which hopefully I only have to do a little while longer).

Generally they try and keep people working 4 hour shifts, since it means they don't have to pay breaks, hence, I'm considered to be in a good spot for a retail job averaging 20 hours a week with a Sunday a fortnight at time + 50%. That said, all of the small amounts of extra time we often put in, which is some cases can add up to a couple of hours a week, isn't usually paid. And something we have in common, you speak out, they'll find ways to punish you. It's bulls***, because it encourages a culture of silence.

I've heard of numerous instances of bullying and such, but you speak out, and it's no different to asking where the pay for the extra hours you did is. That's the part that's especially soul-killing about working retail - I know people get bullied, I know there's discrimination. As much as I'd like to speak out about what I've seen and heard, I can't - Because I still need to be able to keep a roof over my head

Future Cosplays

Dream Cosplays

Last edited by Baix : 03-08-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Unread 03-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #39
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

I do NOT miss working retail at all. I said I'd never go back but found myself working in a bookstore at the start of the year. NOPE.

https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #40
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

You know you work retail when sick days aren't a thing. I've had this stupid cold for 5 days now and it shows no signs of going away any time soon. Only people who get paid sick days are full time (and the store stopped hiring / promoting to full time awhile ago cause they're to cheap to pay benefits) and even they can only use those days for a family member OTHER THAN THEMSELVES (ex. kid/spouse appointment, surgery, etc.). And even then they have to let work know 3 weeks in advanced, so staying home to care for sick kid = unpaid. If they want time off for their own appointments it has to come out of their vacation time. Oh, and they have to use all their vacation time before they can start to use their sick time. Like how much cheaper could this company be?

So my options are basically show up and be miserable, or go without pay. And I can't go 2 weeks without pay (I'd get fired for calling in that many days anyway), so I have to go to work and get everyone else infected. I'm blowing my nose every 5 minutes, nobody even wants to come through my line, and those that do complain horribly. Like sorry, I'd rather be at home too, want to tell my boss they should give me sick time that I can actually use for myself without 3 weeks notice? I can't predict when I'll get sick, nobody can. And the amount of call ins we're allowed is pitifully short, especially when 1 call in counts as 4 (half the amount you're allowed in 6 months) if you couldn't give them at least 2 hours notice (sorry I didn't expect to wake up feeling sick / that my car wouldn't start / that a family emergency came up).

I'm sure sick part time retail & fast food workers infected more people than schools do combined. At least the kids are allowed to stay home when they're sick.

Conventions attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013 & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 12:10 AM   #41
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

When you can't go ANYWHERE without seeing your store's product somewhere and you cringe every time.

Then you realize you've got some out in your front yard.
Unread 03-15-2017, 01:47 AM   #42
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

[quote=BrittanyDaile;5052281]Oooh, I've got some! (I work at a gas station.)

When people complain that they could have gotten something cheaper somewhere else. Like, okay, go there then and leave me alone!

When people get offended because you ask for ID for tobacco/liquor/lottery sales. I am not going to jail because some 19 year old thinks they look old enough to buy tobacco and so doesn't bring their ID with them! I had a guy one day who was livid (like, yelling and screaming and cursing) because I wouldn't accept his freaking HAND TATTOOS as a valid form of ID. Like, wtf?!?
QUOTE]

My grandpa had a toy store from the 40's-70's, and he got the former a LOT. Another local store would advertise the latest hot toy at a super low price, but only have 2 or 3 of them. When they sold out right away, people would go to my grandpa's store and whine that the toys were more expensive. Yeah they were, but he actually had more than 3 in stock...

And the latter...WTF?

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #43
ForestOwlMei
Mei

Story time! We have self check outs where I work and one time a man called me over for help. He began spouting out to me how we went to such and such college, this and that university, he has a degree in this and a degree in that, he's a college professor now and blah blah blah I don't care. And then he said "But I just can't use these stupid machines."

-__- I wanted to say "I'm so sorry that these machines are so inferior to you sir. *cough* looks like you missed the class on some common sense?" *cough*
ForestOwlMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #44
Baix
Cos-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestOwlMei View Post
Story time! We have self check outs where I work and one time a man called me over for help. He began spouting out to me how we went to such and such college, this and that university, he has a degree in this and a degree in that, he's a college professor now and blah blah blah I don't care. And then he said "But I just can't use these stupid machines."

-__- I wanted to say "I'm so sorry that these machines are so inferior to you sir. *cough* looks like you missed the class on some common sense?" *cough*
I've had lecturers than can't even work out how to show their laptop screen on a projector (Win + P in pretty much every version of Windows since at least 7) - And they'd need to do that on a daily basis. Having a tonne of degrees doesn't mean you have common sense, or aren't wilfully ignorant when it comes to technology, but bringing it up does make you look like even more of a jackass when you can't figure it out

Had a customer ask for a specific brand of flee repellent. I took him to the spot where those are kept, didn't spot it and said "Sorry, it doesn't look like we carry that brand" (It's one of the expensive ones that usually only pet stores have)

"Oh, would it be somewhere else"... Yeah, we have literally every single brand of that product-type here, except for that one specifically, it's at the other end of the store

Future Cosplays

Dream Cosplays