Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 12-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #16
Chaletica
Chaotic Lazy Anti-Villain

We don't really have school "clubs" of that kind here (at least not at the schools I've gone to or from what I've heard from anyone else) but now I wonder what one would have been like...

http://consolers.webcomic.ws My webcomic, Consolers. It's about game companies

Last edited by Chaletica : 12-21-2016 at 02:08 AM.
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
AloneForever

I was going to join an anime club at my college, but the club was closed because it didn't have a lot of attendees.
AloneForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #18
DanArt

Well I formed a First ever Comic book club inside of my college.

It was mostly anime people, as well as lovers of fiction.

I did not mean to attract purely "action comics" fan but to use the term as
an over all general term for all forms of art relating to this subject. However
I was met with much hostility from the anime people. Even the person that
was with me the first time around abandoned ship on me in the end.

One guy I was with inside of a classroom used a threat of another student
( who was very annoying ) towards me.

The other student and I are into the same thing ( Comics ( Magna ) videogames, Animation ( anime ) ). However-when it came to talking he probably got the wrong idea. As he briefly started to bad mouth himself using the term "Weeboo" and "Otaku" ( which is where I would fall into this category ). I discovered later on he was a photographer student who wanted to foundly to work with Cosplay. Even worked for a company and went on a trip with other
photographers to the Washington Anime convention ( his best memory ever ).

Otherwise I was met with relentless negative feedback. Even the godforsaken club councilor had something against me. Maybe it was my age a student or maybe I am not the type of student he wanted to start this club.

To make matters worst even the printer guy ( the mufti-media equipment manager for the AG/GA department ) got on the wrong foot with me. He was verbal abusive in me being in college about my studies and even insulted me. I should have reported him. Instead I ignored him and just ignored him. Even if he seemed interested in my club I started.

Point being it was an ordeal and some work was created from it. The original purpose of the club was to create a comic/manga/animation/anime/videogame/etc/movie/ETC. However with lack of funding and the fact the student-life department wanted to get rid of me. I was unable to actual do what I wanted. All they ( SL ) wanted was for my club to host stupid events and waste peoples time with food and junk like that. I wanted to turn a profit with a union of students ( no different then a cake sale ).

It is possible ( as you know ) in college there are certain time frames where you can do just about anything.....just not around testing periods.

I had one legitimate meeting and maybe ten unofficial meetings. I was met with hostility from everybody. However I did meet some great people and we got along for a time.

In the end most of everybody caved into money, stereotypes, and legs.

The story is actual a lot more bigger
.................................................. .....................................

Then was the time when I was affiliated with the anime club/sci-fi/X-culture in my next college. They just wanted my signature to gain access to food money so they would throw there party. I learned about some other peoples cultures ( same I never took down names, or numbers because we got along ).

There was some good times. I am not talking about the initial club and gatherings.

.................................................. ......................................

Locally there is anime club at my library that meets. I rarely get a chance to outside because of lack of income. Otherwise that is about it with me and clubs. I just was
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
bshounen

i attended the first meeting for the anime club at my school but ended up not going to other meetings because I didn't have the time :/
bshounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #20
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

I was the president of my high school's anime club. It sucked, I had to babysit everyone and nobody could ever decide what they wanted to do.

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #21
WildSpice
Dragon Spooker

I started the anime club at my high school my Junior year....twelve years later it is still around! I am dating myself, oh boy.

I also started the anime club at our college. We held two conventions at our college and while it got stressful at times, I loved every minute of it. I met several of my lifelong friends from forming that club. We would go to cons together and have hangouts on weekends.

Teamwork makes the dream work and that's ultimately why the clubs succeeded.
Shikkaricon Founder/Con Chair 06, Vice Chair 07//OTAKON Otacafe, Philcon 2016 MC
Wild Spice Photography
WildSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #22
Otaku Gunso
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magyarita View Post
I was the president of my high school's anime club. It sucked, I had to babysit everyone and nobody could ever decide what they wanted to do.
Yikes baby sitting adults ... Yea no one wants to have to do all that. Folks began to hate me over that because I would often bash their upbringing and tell them their parents failed at raising them because they don't know how to act in a public facility and they got mad because they knew it was the truth.
Otaku Gunso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #23
UnluckyRabbit

Me and a group of friends convinced the library to create an anime club it was quite fun while it lasted.They stopped doing it once we all got to high school and drifted apart.But now Flash foward 5 years later I'm working at the library and they revived it!! I'm not apart of it but i do like to pop every now and then.The library even started hosting its own convention every year!!
UnluckyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #24
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

Oh man, I had one and it was A TRAIN WRECK. It was nothing but drama. It let me meet people and have a social life when I moved to NC but man, them were some cringy ass people. I had fun tho? But I was def a weeb and I feel so much shame.

The group was eventually handed over to a girl who was the biggest weeb, queen of the weebs, and let that group fall to the ground because she didn't want to talk about anything BUT Naruto and talk about yaoi. Meanwhile, I actually wanted to get stuff going but :^) I never went back after junior year. I don't even think it survived to my senior year, and at that point I had washed my hands clean of weeb syndrome. <<;

I had a club at the local library that was really cool. I met some good friends there (sadly we've moved on but no bitter feelings). It eventually got suspended because the library couldn't afford it anymore and it was sad, because it was great, but nothing that could have been done about it.

New Cosplays Planned:
Spring Xander ; Fire Emblem Heroes
Ouja Akuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #25
EmiBubble
Professional Loli

Never joined one in high school. Mainly because all they did was watch anime during lunch time once a week. If they did actual activities I would have probably joined. I think one of the problems that the club had was that the lunch time was only 30min. So between set-up and walking across campus, they didn't have much time to even watch one episode. I remember in my senior year, it started with 40+ ppl and ended up with 7 ppl.

I'm currently in college and not in an anime club due to school work and time. I'm an engineering major and I'm already having trouble balancing my coursework, engineering clubs, and cosplay. I'm pretty involved with facebook anime/cosplay groups so I guess it balances out.
Unread 06-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #26
Jayn Newell

My third year of college someone set one up, it just wound up being three of us that year but we had fun hanging out and watching anime--that was also how I got to my first convention.

I have two particularly fond memories of the club. The first was at the end of the first year when we got together in my room for cake, only no one bought a knife. We tries cutting it with a pair of chopsticks before finally remembering that there was a kitchen downstairs *facepalm*

The second was the first day of the next year, I was eating lunch at the cafeteria when a girl stopped by to comment on my shirt (I have this fuzzy sweater people loooove to touch) and I noticed her Naruto wristband and suggested she join the club. She had decided prior to starting university that she was done with cosplaying, and I pretty much ruined that in that moment

So nothing too outrageous, but it was fun.
Jayn Newell is offline   Reply With Quote