Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 12-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Did You Ever Join Your Local Anime Club?

Local can refer to your high school's club, your university's club, or anything of the sort!

We can discuss:
-The cringe-worthy things that occurred/occur in your anime club!
-Awesome things you all did together!
-Or a mix of it all!

My high school's anime club was...something else to say the least but we did go to Animazement together back in 2008, I think, so that was awesome!
It also sparked my annual Animazement plans~
Overall it was a really fun time because most of the people that were in the anime club were friends I had known for a very long time so it wasn't too uncomfortable until the first year/freshman babies started joining before I graduated.

But on the to more...embarrassing things that I can talk about!

We had one member whom's name I can't even remember(which is likely for the best) but she was the "cat girl" of the school.
Not "cat girl" as in she just wore cat ears around campus, she literally always pretended that she was a cat girl that you'd see in an anime.
She looooooved getting up on the tables while we were all meeting(we would gather and play video games or watch stuff together, which was fun!) and she would --I shit you not, pounce on people.
Not gently falling on someone.
She would full-body pounce, or...excuse me... *Ahem* "Glomp" on people while screeching: "Nya~"

She was super nice from what I can remember and I even encountered her at our graduation, met her parents, took a picture with her and everything! I am glad that she grew up so much and changed but thinking back on the things that happened...hoo boy, anime club was a mess.

So please, tell me tales of your anime club experiences!

-Various Overwatch stuff
-Purah, LoZ: Breath of the Wild
-Sakizo(This shouldn't be a surprise!)

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2017:
-Card Captor Sakura

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Scunosi

I joined our high school anime club and I think it had either just recently been formed or at least not been around very long. To be fair it was actually referred to as "manga club" rather than "anime," possibly because it was hosted in the library. We never really did anything, just hung out after school and shared AMVs or manga we liked. We were all a little cringey but those are pretty much the only people I still have some kind of contact with outside of high school any more, to varying degrees.

We didn't have a literal catgirl like you but we did have a bit of a bunnygirl. I guess rabbits were kind of her motif or something, though I don't recall her ever wearing anything that would have made that obvious. I think she did get a little possessive when I (the artist of the group) drew both myself and her with different styles of rabbit ears. There's also the girl who was really into pandas, to the point she's been wearing the same panda-plush purse since at least high school and brings it everywhere, even to a wedding...

As for our accomplishments we actually did make a small comic but it was just random stuff and only a few pages long. I created avatars for everyone to use in the comic and at least the one for my boyfriend was memorable enough it gets brought up occasionally as an in-joke. One of the older members went on to either found or help with founding a local con that's been growing ever since. I attended one of if not the first years of it as what was probably my first con experience but unfortunately since it's across the state I haven't been able to go back since. They run other anime-related events throughout the year to drum up excitement and funds.

Yeah it was kind of a dumb club but I don't regret being a part of it as it was one of the only ways I made friends in high school. I kind of wonder if the club continued after we left?

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2018

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

The high school anime club was a mess. Really don't like to talk about that one, or recall it at all.

My local library had a baller anime club though. That club set up convention carpools, participated in the nearby city's culture festivals, helped run screening events and book drives at the library... sure, there were definitely some hardcore weebs around, but people in general were more mellow and really just wanted to hang out.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
KitoCosplay
Best chin on Cosplay.com

We used to have an anime club at the local college. I would always attend after school or work. I'll be honest if it weren't for that club I wouldn't have ever been introduced to going to cons or cosplaying. In the club, we would usually either stream anime, play video games, tabletop games, card games, DnD, MnM, draw, learn japanese watch Youtube poops, ect. Plus the college would help us attend Ohayocon every winter and hire a greyhound bus for the group. Unfortunately the club went under due to power struggles between group leaders and drama among members.
KitoCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #5
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

My high school didn't have an anime club, we had a "Japan club" that focused on Japanese culture in general and anime was really only viewed in the form of Ghibli movies or something like that. I was part of it for all four years of high school and was vice president during my senior year. Some members would organize group memberships for Katsucon but I didn't go because to me it was pointless if I couldn't skip school to attend on Friday.

We'd do things like origami, lessons on Japanese slang, video game days, whatever ideas we could think of. We'd also have a fundraiser that involved borrowing the other classrooms in the hallway to host video games and anime, that was probably the highlight of the year!

I have no idea how it's holding up these days, it's been years since I graduated and I didn't really have a chance to go back and visit. It was one of the highlights of my school week though

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 03:10 AM   #6
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Yeah, I joined the one at uni. First group of people knew in real life that I really felt comfortable coming out to.

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Otaku Gunso
half elf flame haze

Actually I used to run an anime club. I ran it for about 4 years and discontinued it because the attendees got too young and I was about 20 at that time.
Otaku Gunso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2016, 01:47 AM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Sadly, the Anime Club only got started in my last year of high school..And I did not join it..Mostly because they weren't........Um....The best of people..The person who ran the club was a complete bitch and the "club" was her and her little group..And pretty much the vast majority of the anime fans in the school hated them. And I never attended collage. Oh well
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
Saltpeter
DANGER: Talks too much

Two days. That is how long I lasted before I got sick of it.

Day two, I was struck in the eye by a plastic DND figurine. Twice. By the same person. I was done after that. >_>

Next up? This guy!

ETC: NYCC 2016
Saltpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #10
Norakun91

Our local libraries have anime clubs but the library I frequented the most I hated the club. They were really rude to me and my fiancé and we didn't even do anything. Me and her were getting ready to check out some manga and they started talking about how "that's a bad series and we shouldn't be reading manga"

They were all very rude. I just ignored them and left.
Norakun91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2016, 01:09 AM   #11
belligerent
Viking Metal

i went to the one in college for a while. 9/11 happened and i didn't feel like going to the meeting that week, and for whatever reason, i just never went back after that.

once i quit going, i didn't really miss it at all. one of the dudes in it had a crush on me and i kept turning him down when he asked me to do stuff, and it was awkward. the first of many hearts i would go on to break. perhaps infinite hearts.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norakun91 View Post
Our local libraries have anime clubs but the library I frequented the most I hated the club. They were really rude to me and my fiancé and we didn't even do anything. Me and her were getting ready to check out some manga and they started talking about how "that's a bad series and we shouldn't be reading manga"

They were all very rude. I just ignored them and left.
Ah yes, nothing like good ol' fashioned anime elitism.

I tried to get an anime club started in high school with a few friends of mine, but it never got off the ground since only a handful of us in our already tiny school were interested in anime.

I joined an anime club at the community college I went to, and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, before I transferred, I stopped attending because I couldn't be on campus in the evenings anymore (I live far from the campus and don't drive) It reminded me of all the things I love about anime, and I'm still good friends with the people who were in the group with me. We would often have get-togethers outside of club where we would go to the movies or something like that. In fact, it's where I met my boyfriend. I'd seen him around campus before since we both worked for the school, but we didn't really get to know each other until we were in the anime club.

So on the whole, I had a really positive experience with the anime club I belonged to.

https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #13
Otaku Gunso
half elf flame haze

The last anime club I attended was kinda like a clique ... When I told that moderator where all the anime fans were she lost all the color in her face ... She seems like one of those people that's not used to being around so many different types of people. Then again given the fact she was home schooled the only reason she even has an anime club is because her family lived in the area for a long time and she's got connections and stuff. Otherwise its a colossal waste of time.
Otaku Gunso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #14
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltpeter View Post
Two days. That is how long I lasted before I got sick of it.

Day two, I was struck in the eye by a plastic DND figurine. Twice. By the same person. I was done after that. >_>
That sucks a lot! D:
The anime club at my old high school kind of turned into a baby sitting business for whatever poor instructor decided to let the club use their classroom as a meeting area.

I don't remember any figurines being thrown around but I do vividly remember a table being totally broken because the -- as I will call her, "cat girl" decided to throw herself at someone.

-Various Overwatch stuff
-Purah, LoZ: Breath of the Wild
-Sakizo(This shouldn't be a surprise!)

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2017:
-Card Captor Sakura

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #15
loz64

I have fond memories of both anime clubs I was involved in...

I started and was the sole organizer of my high school's anime club. I designed and printed club flyers, rounded up people to come and watch, and rented DVDs from Blockbuster to show. It was a lot of work and sometimes I was the only one who came to the meetings, but it was all worth it for the amount of anime I got to watch at school! When it came time for me to graduate, I donated a chunk of my manga books to the school's library as a parting gift. I wonder if those books are still there after 10+ years...!

For a while I was part of my local anime club when it first started. It hopped around a couple of libraries in my city before settling in its current location. These days I don't have time to go regularly anymore, but I miss heading down to the library to catch the latest anime and talk to fellow fans. I do recall there being a few weeaboos present but for the most part everyone was civil. This anime club is what led me to my first conventions back in the day and I haven't stopped since.
Alice Elliott | Aqua | Impa (SS) | Princess Hilda | Rosalina | Pajama Link | Airy | Agitha | Lolita Spock | Lolita Uhura | Eureka | Riyo Chuchi | Belgemine | Anise Tatlin | Ganondorf (Hyrule Warriors) | Master Eraqus | Lolita Mario

Visit my Facebook page for professional photos, progress photos, con reports, tutorials, and other fun stuff: https://www.facebook.com/MythrilArts
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote