Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
MissPorrim

Kanaya Skirt?

Does anyone know where you can purchase a red skirt that would work well for Kanaya that I can just sew on the buttons? Because I need to have this ready in three weeks and that just seems so much easier. Plus I'm running low on materials so I can't exactly sew it. Thanks for the help!
MissPorrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Musouka_Ningyou

You really aren't going to find something accurate in a store, though you can make some modifications.

The asymmetrical part is a really unique design that will be nearly impossible to replicate off the rack. you have a few options, though:
1. Say "screw accuracy!" and just buy a red maxi skirt somewhere and add the buttons
2. Say "somewhat screw accuracy!" and buy a red maxi skirt and then add lines of piping, similar fabric, etc. to create a similar effect
3. Buy two skirts, cut one to create the asymmetrical part, and then modify the one underneath to create the effect

To get it totally accurate, you'd have to make it yourself, but if you don't care about 100% accuracy, then either wear a bought one or modify a bought one. Whichever way you go, however, keep in mind that Kanaya would never have anything poorly sewn or with trim tacked on awkwardly, so if you go the modification route, be sure to do it impeccably.

This is the closest I can find off the rack. It's not sold in stores and seems to only be in plus sizes (not sure what size you wear), but the wraparound effect is similar enough to Kanaya's skirt to be passable. This is another similar one, this time not in plus sizes (again, not sure what size you wear), but it appears to have a bit more volume than the previous one, so it's not as accurate, but still passable.
This vintage skirt is a good color, length, and fabric, and it already has three white buttons, though it lacks the asymmetrical detailing of Kanaya's skirt. The wraparound style is still decent enough that you can get away with it.

Good luck with the cosplay! Be sure to post pics when you're done.
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
MissPorrim

Thanks! And I will! I'm going to be making one myself later but there is something going on that I have to be her and I don't have the time to make anything too accurate. So this is a quick put together for the time being.
MissPorrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Musouka_Ningyou

No problem!

I've had to scramble to throw together things at the last minute, too, so I know how it feels. Just make sure you do Kanaya justice! A wraparound style is probably the closest you will find to her asymmetrical design off the rack, so I hope that works out for you.
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote