Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 04-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #4846
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
a little late... but starwind, i'm sooo jealous of you first... because you were able to go to pax east... and secondly.. suda!! he seemed cool, was he cool??

as for the games... i have to get skullgirls probably gonna get it after work tonight
PAX East, or any PAX really, is probably the best experience you can get from the convention cirlce. I've done a ton of conventions over my 11 or so years of attending this nerdfests, and PAX only gets better in time ((That includes the almighty Dragon Con, which is good, but expensive as hell, and certainly has it own share of faults)). I fully endorse the idea of dropping anime conventions to hit up PAX.

And yeah, Suda, despite having to talk to a translator to talk to me, was RAD as hell. We only had a chance to talk about No More Heroes and music, but man, it was work it. Also we were both drunk as shit, so that was pretty great.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #4847
Zweihander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
PAX East, or any PAX really, is probably the best experience you can get from the convention cirlce. I've done a ton of conventions over my 11 or so years of attending this nerdfests, and PAX only gets better in time ((That includes the almighty Dragon Con, which is good, but expensive as hell, and certainly has it own share of faults)). I fully endorse the idea of dropping anime conventions to hit up PAX.

And yeah, Suda, despite having to talk to a translator to talk to me, was RAD as hell. We only had a chance to talk about No More Heroes and music, but man, it was work it. Also we were both drunk as shit, so that was pretty great.
Yes, I 100% jelly. Also, it was cool to see you at C2E2. Sorry we had to split early.
Zweihander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #4848
Purple Flames
Rollin' like Jack Dempsey

Diablo III Open beta. So good.
Purple Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #4849
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

aw you guys were at c2e2? me too! and Pax is definitely on my list of conventions to check out. maybe next year

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%
Bowser 100% (repair work)
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #4850
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
Yes, I 100% jelly. Also, it was cool to see you at C2E2. Sorry we had to split early.
S'all good dude. $$ permitting, I'll be back next year and we can chill longer/get our drink on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Flames View Post
Diablo III Open beta. So good.
YUP! What classes did you roll as?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post
aw you guys were at c2e2? me too! and Pax is definitely on my list of conventions to check out. maybe next year
Yup, yup!

So yeah, Mrs. SW824 and I got our game on this weekend....

Journey (PS3)- UNPOPULAR OPINION: Technically impressive as hell, but 2 hours of game for $15??!?! Nah, I don't care HOW damn good your game is, that's some bullshit, especially when I paid all of $7 for Bastion.

Child of Eden (360)- Beat it with the Kinect within 20 something minutes. Solid experience though, will probably give it a run w/ the controller later this week.

Rock Band:Unplugged-Was literally $3 used at Gamestop. For $3, it's a ton of fun, and a really cool twist on a franchise I really don't give a toss about.

Rayman Origins: Yo the later half of this game is HARD.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #4851
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Journey (PS3)- UNPOPULAR OPINION: Technically impressive as hell, but 2 hours of game for $15??!?! Nah, I don't care HOW damn good your game is, that's some bullshit, especially when I paid all of $7 for Bastion.
Can't argue with someone's opinion as to whether or not something was worth the price. $15 for Journey didn't seem like a big deal to me. I played the whole thing twice - once offline and once online - plus did some additional exploring for probably a total of 10 hours. The Saint played it once through then some additional time to collect all the shiny things and get the white robe - probably 5 hours. So 15 hours total between the two of us. I've paid $60 for games I've lost interest in after an hour of two. A movie in a theater costs me $10. $15 if I include fare for the T. *shrug*

Playing Witcher 2. Not quite sure what to make of it yet. Story and characters so far are outstanding. I like the battle mechanics now that I've gotten used to them and I like that some of the basic enemies are pretty hard. I'm not sure if I can get past the fact that the maps suck. Loved the prologue but feel like I've kind of gotten bogged down in the first chapter. I've spent a lot of time just wandering around trying to find things. And yes, yes, guide, yes, internet, whatever. I really dislike looking up things that would be routine if there were just a decent map with decent markers.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #4852
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Can't argue with someone's opinion as to whether or not something was worth the price. $15 for Journey didn't seem like a big deal to me. I played the whole thing twice - once offline and once online - plus did some additional exploring for probably a total of 10 hours. The Saint played it once through then some additional time to collect all the shiny things and get the white robe - probably 5 hours. So 15 hours total between the two of us. I've paid $60 for games I've lost interest in after an hour of two. A movie in a theater costs me $10. $15 if I include fare for the T. *shrug*
I'll probably end up playing Journey again, but considering everyone I talked to was like "OMG GOTY, GOTY!", my expectations going into it were quite high. Also it was somethign I got to play with Carrie, which was a blessing within itself. Again, there are some amazing set pieces, it's visually incredible and I REALLY like how the online portion of the game works, but it came down to hype vs. what I actually experienced, and the hype was kind of overblown IMO (Not as bad as Uncharted 3). I know one of the big draws is that it's a silent game, but it kind of put a damper in my time with it.

Also with Steam/Amazon d/l being as glorious as it's been since I've built, it's made me kind of a snob of what I end up paying for. Granted I dropped a ton of money on ME3, I put about 35 hours into the campaign, and god knows how much into the Multi.

Unread 04-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #4853
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
I'll probably end up playing Journey again, but considering everyone I talked to was like "OMG GOTY, GOTY!", my expectations going into it were quite high.
GOTY? Eh - I'm not even convinced that it's a game. Don't get me wrong - I loved it (obviously) but without any real way to fail at it and no obstacles that rise to the level of a puzzle it's hard for me to think of it as a game in the same sense as most of the things that I use my PS3/XBox/DS/etc. for. I actually came in with low expectations because I really kind of hated Flower. I played it mostly because I was intrigued by the idea of more-or-less anonymous online co-op which I loved in Dark Souls and really enjoyed in Journey as well.
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #4854
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
GOTY? Eh - I'm not even convinced that it's a game. Don't get me wrong - I loved it (obviously) but without any real way to fail at it and no obstacles that rise to the level of a puzzle it's hard for me to think of it as a game in the same sense as most of the things that I use my PS3/XBox/DS/etc. for. I actually came in with low expectations because I really kind of hated Flower. I played it mostly because I was intrigued by the idea of more-or-less anonymous online co-op which I loved in Dark Souls and really enjoyed in Journey as well.
Huh, that's an generally interesting perspective on Journey. I'll keep that in mind my next play through, as yeah, it's a VERY good digital experience, but as a game it's.....lacking, at least in IMO.

Also you're also the only person I know who disliked Flower. It's one of the few PS3 games Carrie actually played start to finish, and I thought it was neat. Of course we didn't pay for it, so that's a factor as well.

Anonymous co-op is pretty freakin sweet, and something I hope more games do. I also really need to pick up one of the Souls games one of these day, and stop shaming you and Zwei.

Also add Einhandler to games I've played this past weekend. J-PSN STORE, YOU ARE RAD!

Unread 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #4855
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
it's a VERY good digital experience
*hee hee hee* But yeah - I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. My personal taste would have been for it to be more puzzle-y. I kind of felt like it should have been at least a bit more of a struggle to get to where you were going. But I get that JChen is all about the "flow".

Quote:
Also you're also the only person I know who disliked Flower.
Well, I'm not gonna lie. One of the reasons I didn't like it is that I sucked at it. I could not get the hang of the 6-axis tilt business. Instead of getting into the whole Chen-Zen I was like, "Wait, what? Why can't I get through here? Oh, I missed that patch. *wide U-turn* OH GODDAMMIT! I MISSED IT AGAIN! *wide U-turn* OH GODDAMMIT! I FUCKING MISSED ONE FUCKING FLOWER! FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING FLOWER!" But what really annoyed me was the section where there's all the pollution and your pathetic little zephyr can hardly pick up any petals and keeps getting zapped by the evil pylons. I mean, I can hug a tree with the best of them - I drive a Prius for fuck's sake - but I really dislike propaganda in my video games. And then JChen had the gall to say in an interview that the game didn't have an explicit pro-environmental message. Yeah, right. Whatever dude.
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #4856
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
*hee hee hee* But yeah - I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. My personal taste would have been for it to be more puzzle-y. I kind of felt like it should have been at least a bit more of a struggle to get to where you were going. But I get that JChen is all about the "flow".

Well, I'm not gonna lie. One of the reasons I didn't like it is that I sucked at it. I could not get the hang of the 6-axis tilt business. Instead of getting into the whole Chen-Zen I was like, "Wait, what? Why can't I get through here? Oh, I missed that patch. *wide U-turn* OH GODDAMMIT! I MISSED IT AGAIN! *wide U-turn* OH GODDAMMIT! I FUCKING MISSED ONE FUCKING FLOWER! FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING FLOWER!" But what really annoyed me was the section where there's all the pollution and your pathetic little zephyr can hardly pick up any petals and keeps getting zapped by the evil pylons. I mean, I can hug a tree with the best of them - I drive a Prius for fuck's sake - but I really dislike propaganda in my video games. And then JChen had the gall to say in an interview that the game didn't have an explicit pro-environmental message. Yeah, right. Whatever dude.
Yeah I was expecting some puzzles. Or at least more of a challenge, aside from dealing with Carrie not understanding titling the Sixaxis affected the camera.

As for Flower, come to think of it, I'm not sure if I actually beat it, or just played four levels and called it a day. I know Carrie beat it, and I may have gotten the trophies for that.

Unread 04-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #4857
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Yeah I was expecting some puzzles. Or at least more of a challenge...
OTOH - I made several attempts to get the "Go through 15 arches" Trophy and still haven't managed to do it. But that's me.

Quote:
...aside from dealing with Carrie not understanding titling the Sixaxis affected the camera.
I just used the analog stick for the camera. Sixaxis can bite me.
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #4858
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Xenoblade Chronicles - Interesting so far. Sidequests taking up a lot of my time and I just got out of the home village, LOL.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #4859
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
OTOH - I made several attempts to get the "Go through 15 arches" Trophy and still haven't managed to do it. But that's me.
Yeah that's Trophy-hunting stuffs IMO.

Last night was strictly Kinect-gaming as I put more time in Child of Eden and Gunstringer. I like CoE a lot, but I'm still convinced Gunstringer is the best use of the Kinect to date. I'm also grateful the wife has forgotten that we own a copy of Just Dance 3.

Unread 04-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #4860
DTJAAAAM

Skullgirls on 360. I need to pop in the Witcher 2 sooner or later...