Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 04-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
AJ the Collector
Collector

Post-AN depression and how you deal with it

I know Anime North is still a month or so away, but the thought came to mind earlier. I remember seeing a thread a long while ago about post-AN depression and related rituals people partake in after AN sadly ends each year. So it sparked my curiosity, made me decide to make a new thread about it to hear people's stories, see what's changed, what's the same and what's new.

Might as well start with my anecdotes. Now, as I've been known to say in the past, Anime North is like the Anime Gods came together to lift a piece of Etobicoke out of its normal surroundings, surround it with a magical barrier of wonder and joy, connect the separated piece to the roads below with rainbows and declare "Let there be anime", so when it ends, I can practically see the magic drifting away, never to be seen again until the same time next year. What do I do after the Anime Gods remove the barrier, set the piece back down and restore the plain mortal roads and I'm forced to return from my home away from home to the regular world?

- I try my best not to notice the jarring difference in surroundings as we leave, going from all the happy, costumed attendees laughing and interacting and making friends and the colourful, noisy, uplifting settings right back to the same old mundane roads and neighbourhoods and people. I usually fail at this step and feel like having a good cry.
- I tend to watch a lot more of my favourite anime right after each AN.
- If it's a costume of a relatively normally-clothed character, I like to wear my costume or parts of it for days after the con ends.
- In 2012, I took up looking at all the pictures I took over the weekend while listening to John Frusciante and anime themes. The Frusciante comes from having heard his songs over the weekend thanks to my mother playing them in the hotel room each night.
- I begin writing up a convention report to relive the best moments.
- I spend weeks afterward asking myself why Anime North can't be a 365-day 24/7 event in its own little magical world we can retreat to at any time.
- But most importantly, I can distract myself from the sadness by knowing that I have more cons coming up, where I'll have fun again and possibly see familiar faces again. And most important of all is that Anime North will never truly end, not really. It goes on in the hearts and minds of each and every one of us who love it so dearly, and it will always come back next year in physical form, ready to bathe us in its magic once again. That, my friends, is one certainty of life worth knowing.

...Wow, I got kinda poetic there for a moment. This is what Anime North does to me, folks, it turns me into a dramatic speech generator. XD

Well then, guess it's everyone else's turn! Share away!
St. Catharines Murder Mysterystuck
DTAC 2014

Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Humanstuck Gamzee Makara {100%!} for End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014 and AN15
Equius Zahhak {98%} for St. Catharines Murder Mysterystuck and AN15
Totakeke {90%} for DTAC14
L {75%} for AN15
Sable Able {55%} for CB15
Dryden Fassa {25%}

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Arokh Fithos
The Last Dragon of Art

Lightbulb Simplicity Works

For me, it was, & is simple:

-Right after AN, I would reminisce, on the past Anime North's I've been to, trying to remember all the crazy, wacky, funny, great, and most impactful, and memorable things about it. (Been to quite a few of them, to say in the least)

-If the former doesn't work, then I would always hypothesize upon what I could do the next time at AN, or what possibilities would hold for me at AN in the future.

-If the past options don't work, then I will to remember, why I go there in the first place, and my reason for being there. That for me, ALWAYS shakes the depression up, making it a lot easier to handle.

-I always give gratitude to the people (con -attendees, staff, dealers, artists, security, hotel workers, guests, organizers, etc.) for being there at the Convention. Because without all of us here, and there, it wouldn't be worth the risk of going there. (General risk, & Chaotic Risk)

-I make a prayer, that AN will continue to prosper forward in the later years ahead.

-Lastly, leave on with a high note, and take in one last long look, at the last scene of AN that I can muster in. Helps me part with AN a lot better.

Hope this helps for others; I know it has for me.
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
AJ the Collector
Collector

I like to take a picture of the last big scene I can see before I go. I think this year I'll go a step further and take a whole panorama.
DTAC 2014

L {75%} for AN15
Dryden Fassa {25%}

Unread 04-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Arokh Fithos
The Last Dragon of Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the Collector View Post
I like to take a picture of the last big scene I can see before I go. I think this year I'll go a step further and take a whole panorama.
I like the way you think.

I may do that with as well; but just as a mental picture, not a technological one.
Unread 04-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
AJ the Collector
Collector

A technological one will always remain the most vivid though, in my opinion, or at least the most precise. :3
DTAC 2014

L {75%} for AN15
Dryden Fassa {25%}

Unread 06-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
AJ the Collector
Collector

Over a week after the end of AN and I'm still feeling down about it ending. Who else up in here is still feeling the post-con blues with me?
DTAC 2014

L {75%} for AN15
Dryden Fassa {25%}