Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-11-2017, 01:07 AM   #1
BeanBunny

Additions To Your Costume

Today, we'll celebrate the additional garbage that you really don't have to put on your costume, but you want to.

For example, I made Eve, from Mass Effect. Now that I'm home from DragonCon and looking over everything, I realize she really needs a baby krogan. Or, I made a Zelda BoTW costume. I'm going to MAGFest in January, and January is cold, so I intend to figure out what a huge fleece cape might look like for Zelda, for no other reason than brr cold please more blanket.

Your turn, tell me what you either added or would like to add that wasn't strictly necessary.

Unread 09-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

The one thing I love more than anything else is adding unnecessary props. xD

My Minako cosplay is probably the most serious offender as besides the evoker I have: full tarot card set(including P4 arcanas), Shinji pocketwatch, chains(symbolism), and at one point a naginata.

My Gudako cosplay is starting to reach those levels as besides my servant class cards(really need to make gold servant ones of these...), quartz(two versions), mana prism and salt.

Vex I made her bow/arrows/quiver and got a broom, and jewels for her.

I just really like extra stuff.lol

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Miss Mace

Oh yeah, I feel like there's always something you can do to make it better, redo this part, add that flourish, make that prop (props can really make the cosplay, and give you something to pose with).

I want to make/get a lantern for my Green Lantern, but first I went ahead and redid the gloves. I suppose I should go for a movie lantern since my current ring is a movie ring, but the comic lanterns are by far the most iconic.

Adding the shield bag to my Rose cosplay really seemed to make a difference, next I'd like to redo the skirt. The sheer top fabric ripped (not terribly noticeably), and didn't obscure the purple quite enough. So, I may go for replacing it with some plain/shiny white fabric.
Rose Quartz (band t-shirt)
Green Lantern (OC)

Currently Working On:
Discord (anthro) - Designed, horns started, tail fabrics & wing foam found
6th Doctor (female) - Partially designed
Starfire (the Terrible) - Partially designed

My Etsy Shop: Clever Kraken
Miss Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Scunosi

I feel the pressure to do this more with cosplays that don't have a prop or go-to pose. Wicke I was struggling with as she doesn't really have any props and is kind of a nothing character so I wouldn't know how to pose without something in my hands. So I gave her a matching clipboard and even doodled up a page of researcher's notes (which of course I lost both after my photoshoot, but at least it was cheap). I also made her some fake food to pose with as that's kind of the one memorable thing about her is she's always shoving donuts in your face.

I did also make sure my alternative shoes (for when I was done wearing heels) matched her outfit and were just solid pink, though I had wanted solid white (surprisingly hard to find without laces) and now that I think about it I ended up buying two different purses for her, a big pink one I ended up using as my day-to-day, and a little white one that had gold accents that went with her outfit better.

The last time I wore her I also painted my nails pink 'cuz I thought it'd look cute.

Shy Gal doesn't have any props, but her mask can be used as a prop (since it's often too hot to actually wear) and she's got a whole dance attached to her. Lunara had her spear (and a woven fiber purse to match), Scout's mom had her briefcase, almost everyone else I've ever done has had something for me to fiddle with if I wanted.

I do think part of me wanting to add embellishments more often now is that I've gotten so much more experience I can actually have time to think about that. Before I'd probably be so focused just on basic sewing stuff that I couldn't think about it, but these days I do (sometimes) end up with some spare time and think it's fun to fill in the details the canon may have left out.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

This is me right now xD! I'm thinking of adding elements of Rin's Windwitch monsters to her outfit, for the spirit of Halloween to wear at the AN Halloween Festival.
I was already thinking of rewearing her, and I thought of finishing off the costume with an added twist.
It just makes sense because, well witches xD
Anywho, yeah this is actually the first time I'm doing this, but it'll be fun. Since she has short hair, it won't bug me too much. I'm even thinking of adding her grey deck box to wear as well.
I love doing this because I feel like I'm still missing something my character has, and I love getting creative. I love this idea because it's like a cosplay within a cosplay xD

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 09-11-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 06:05 AM   #6
TurQ

I always like to figure out how to create or buy inexpensive but cool gifts that relate to my cosplay that I can give out. Usually like 50 to 100 would be good enough to last the entire Con.
TurQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurQ View Post
I always like to figure out how to create or buy inexpensive but cool gifts that relate to my cosplay that I can give out. Usually like 50 to 100 would be good enough to last the entire Con.
My friends did this last Sakuracon when they did Team Skull. They bought a big box of shutter shades to hand out to other Team Skull cosplayers (and yes there were tons) so they could all look trashy together. Everybody loved it!

Years ago another Sak attendee (Idk if they were cosplaying or not) had a big bowl of candy they were giving out. Made for a cute photo op for me since I was doing Flapjack that day who looooves candy.

Basically cheap random goodies actually can improve people's experiences if you feel like doing them.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
Rinku-chan

I got a waterproof, canvas, chinese parasol for Ranma.
I wanted to have an umbrella that matched my cosplay after last year's con where it was raining heavily all three days. The closest parking spot was 3 blocks away, the glue on my prop was still drying, and I was in sandals. It was a total disaster.

Even if it doesn't rain this time, the umbrella is cute and goes with the costume. Also, I can use it to hit my friends when they inevitably ask me to give them money to buy stupid things in the vendors hall.
Winter Schnee (RWBY)
Trisha Elric (Full Metal Alchemist)
Jaune Arc [Prom Dress] (RWBY) -Back Up-
Taako Taaco (The Adventure Zone) -Back Up-
Next Convention: Planet Comicon 2018
Rinku-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #9
KitoCosplay
Best chin on Cosplay.com

The floating Ramiel prop for my Ryoji Kaji cosplay from Evangelion and the talking memberberries for my Mr. Slave cosplay from South park.

Last edited by KitoCosplay : 09-13-2017 at 09:00 PM.
KitoCosplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #10
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

For my Homucifer cosplay I'm beadazzling the shit out of it and possibly making the wings movable. Why? Because I can and it'd look cool.
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
Attlebridge
Doll Mage

Not something visible, but, for my most recent cosplay I added pocket pouches to a belt worn hidden under the costume. I made the pockets big enough to hold my phone, wallet, and battery pack for a string of LED lights.

I was inspired by the 18th century, when pockets were pouches on a belt under the skirts, accessed through slits made into the side of the skirts.
Unread 09-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attlebridge View Post
Not something visible, but, for my most recent cosplay I added pocket pouches to a belt worn hidden under the costume. I made the pockets big enough to hold my phone, wallet, and battery pack for a string of LED lights.

I was inspired by the 18th century, when pockets were pouches on a belt under the skirts, accessed through slits made into the side of the skirts.
THIS! I put hidden pockets in whatever I can. When wearing a cumbersome costume it really helps to not have a bag to carry.
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #13
powerofunity

If I can add a plush to a cosplay, then I go for it.
powerofunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #14
KatTayle
Human, not a machine

So many props. Like (Zero Escape spoilers) a bloody knife, medicine bottle, and contemplating making a bomb detonator + putting it under my hat for Dio... even though literally no one would see it, it'd be canon xD

Also I've recently discovered what Ita bags are, and I'm really tempted to use them in cosplays for the future... either the character I'm cosplaying, or the character's obsession/love interest. It's a good fuel for my merchandise obsession, lmao. Even if the character wouldn't wear one, I think they're kinda cute and I'd need something to carry around the con anyway.

Planned Cosplays:

Mina (Pokemon): 96%

Dio (Zero Escape): 93%

Want to make in future: BOTW Link, Franziska Von Karma, Hatsune Miku (Arifureta), Magma Admin Courtney, more Pokemon/AC gijinkas, any Splatoon character
KatTayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #15
WCMorpheus

LIGHTS!!! If I can add lights to my costume to make it stand out in a crowd, I'll do it!

A friend and I went to DragonCon a few weeks ago and we cosplayed as Men In Black for a night, so I bought a Frank the Pug dog plush and velcroed him to my shoulder. I figured MIB was too easy and ordinary, so we needed something extra to push us over the top. Frank ended up being the hit of the group! People took our photos just to see the dog with glasses. lol

★ª"˜¨★ª"˜¨¯˜ª¤.¸`*•.¸*•¸★☆ FACEBOOK COSPLAY PAGE ☆★¸•*¸.•*´¸.¤ª˜¯¨˜"ª★¨˜"ª★
WCMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote