Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Cosplaying Alone

I've never really cosplayed without my partner or a group of friends I already know.

But tomorrow my partner is busy... an event location I like is throwing an event... and a Japanese Touhou group (9 people) is looking for a character I have all prepared.

So I'm going. I'll meet the 9 other cosplayers for the first time.
I decided I would months ago.

No problem, right?

But I'm having some AMAZING pre-night jitters!!!!!

Does anyone else go to events alone? Are you anxious about it too, or am I being silly?

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 02-26-2011 at 08:13 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
xSYN
syn haedas.

YOU'RE BEING SILLY GET OVER IT

no i'm kidding. :c i get the same way.. worse, maybe. last year, i didn't attend two events because i didn't know anybody-- i was going to show up originally, but i chickened out at the last minute oTZ
xSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
Nayara
Bonny-chan

Hm, sure it might feel awkward at first, but I've learned that as long as you're friendly and can joke with them people will warm up pretty fast to you. You all love the same series, right? So there's a good topic to start a conversation. Discussing fandom stuff with new people can be pretty cool imho.
I'd say just take it easy and don't seclude yourself from people and stay quiet just because you don't know them (yet).
Nayara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

I've never been to a con alone, I went with my parents at my first one (I was 14), the next few I went with friends and now I just go with my fiance. Although we don't cosplay fomr the same series, we both make the effort to attend each others groups and photoshoots. But I wouldn't mind if I had to go alone, it'll give me a chance to meet new people - besides, if I did go alone and other were in the same situation, I'd organise a meet up

Don't worry about it kiratsukai, enjoy yourself! You did say in another thread you cosplay to meet new people, so this shouldn't be a problem, they may turn out to be long term friends!

I'm always shy when meeting new people but cosplay has sort of boost that confidence, I really should meet new people more ^^;
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
ladyxzeus
Mrs. Lady Gackt Camui

I always go to cons alone and always cosplay alone. The trick is to meet people along the way. Since our community is small the first time I just met people, but the second time I already re-met people and in the third time I'm already friends with them.

Meeting new friends is easy stuff, just throw shyness behind your back and keep a smile on your face.

Waratte oemashou sore ha chiisana na inori
ladyxzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
krys-chan
A New York Cosplayer!

For small events and picnics etc, I can't go by myself. Even if my friend is not in cosplay. I'm just not that comfortable or that outgoing like other people.

However for conventions, I don't mind going by myself but I've made more friends lately who are able to go to the conventions.

Facebook

“A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
krys-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
batteredchicken

Surprisingly, each time I do go on my own... I tend to find friends or others with common interests at the con then we end up hanging out.

So it works out somehow.
batteredchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSYN View Post
YOU'RE BEING SILLY GET OVER IT

no i'm kidding. :c

No, that's right. The only way you meet new people is to get out where the people are. Worst case scenario, nothing happens and you go home. ::Shrugs::

So yeah, you're being silly, get over it, go out there and meet people.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

Except for ACen, I always travel to cons alone. But I've met so many people over the years, that I always see people I know. It was hard at first, but at cons I always go into super friendly mode and just open myself up to meeting new people. I think cosplaying actually makes this a lot easier to do!
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I always go to cons with friends, but I'm usually the only cosplayer. I don't mind. I do get shy when I have to go anywhere alone however
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Kildread
I can fix it!

Doing any activity alone is kinda unnerving at first, especially if you are used to have known people around you.

...except going at it alone also gives you the freedom to do exactly what you want to do, attend the parts of the events you want.

Also it makes you generally more approachable (Not always a good thing, as I'm sure you know).

Personally, I went to my first event alone and ended up merging to different groups along the weekend, later keeping contact through Facebook and meeting them again at the second event.

Second event, I went also alone, ended up giving a car lift to 3 other attendees and staying in a room with 5 strangers in all. On convention grounds, I went about my own thing, taking photos, talking to folks who wanted to talk, doing the activities/attending the panel that interested me (I also got invited for a few rounds of Mahjongg just before leaving on the last day, it was great).

The bottomline is this: The stress of going at something alone is something that's present initially, but as long as you're an independant person with decent social skills, you will not be alone at the event for long.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Torgo

I mostly go to cons and other events alone. What you've described is actually an ideal circumstance for me: I see nine potential new friends right there. I really enjoy meeting new people, and even if I never see or talk to them again I at least have the memories of some really fun times.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
aimee
it's a sparkly!

your opportunity to meet new friends! Just be friendly!
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
IAmShorty
Proud to be a shorty!

Haha, yeah, you're not silly...
So far I haven't gone to a convention with anyone so Im always kinda nervous. And the first time I crossplayed by myself, oh that was some awful nervous bugs....
IAmShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
Julesie

I'm not going alone, but I'm going with a friend I met on the net and we only met up once before (at an aquarium). I'm nervous, but excited at the same time as it will be my first ever convention.
Best of luck to you and have a good time
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote