Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

RIP Marty Gear

I'm pretty sure the only people who will have any idea who I'm talking about are Costume Con people, but Marty recently died in his sleep. For those who don't know who Marty was (aaagggh, writing "was" is tearing me up), he was a big name guy in many east coast con, a very talented costumer, and partly responsible for some of the standards often used in masquerades (or so the story goes). Though this is over 20 years old, his ICG lifetime achievement page still sums it up best. He did a LOT of great things for some east coast masquerades. I've done a Gear-run masquerade, and it was glorious. My last masquerade in January had him as the MC, which was a blast. I wasn't planning on buying the DVD of it, but it's still available for purchase and now I want it just to have a recording of my friend doing what he does best. I knew he was having health problems back in January, but didn't expect it to escalate like this.

For anyone who knew or knew of Marty, please raise your glass and think of him as you work on your costuming projects. For those who didn't know him, I'm sorry but you missed out. He was a great guy. It's silly to ask people to pay respects to someone they've never heard of, but you'll have to take my word for it: he was (ACK still hate saying was) a kind man and a skilled costumer.

I'm rambling and going nowhere, tearing up so much. I'm so grateful I knew Marty, if only for about 5 years! I'm gonna miss him!
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
maeblade
Costumers Unite!

Marty was a great guy, kind, helpful and always smiling. He was someone I always looked up to, and wish some day I could "be like Marty" he will be sorely missed in the halls of future con.
maeblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

What? No. I mean, really, I LOVED Marty.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Definetly sucks. I helped him judge the WCS back in...2008, I wanna say, and we ended up getting drinks and dinner and just talking up a storm. Such a wonderful gentleman, a huge loss for the community.

"I can't believe I was stupid enough to be that faux radical. Never listen to a college student's opinion about anything. Secretly, they're just as dumb as high school kids, perhaps even more so." -Drew Magary
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

I never met him in person, but still very sad to see this. Rest in peace.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Lady_Sephiroth
Lady of Avalon

He will be sadly missed. I just saw him at Balticon and am in shock over this.... I am sorry for those who will never get to be infected by his enthusiasm for the costuming hobby and realize how much of a debt we owe to him. RIP.
Lady_Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

It's very sad. He will be dearly missed, not only in his influence and encouragement of costuming AND cosplay (east coast anime cons should know Uncle Vlad!) but in his personality and giving nature.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I'm gonna think of him every time I hear a vampire joke!

He was so kind, friendly, and outgoing. I was but a n00b when I first met him, and he was such a sweet and entertaining guy, also super knowledgable without ever being the least bit pretentious or pedantic like some people who know a lot can be. The second time I saw him it had been at least a year, so I was surprised that he remembered me AND that he he gave me a warm and heartfelt greeting like I was an old friend. God, what a great man!
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
Ayriannah

:/

Balticon won't be the same.

Marty was one of the first people I met at my first Balticon, which is the only con I keep coming back to. The Masquerade is the event I have always looked forward to (whether I was in it or just in the audience), and I don't know if it will still be that next time. And that sucks.

...and now I'm crying.
Ayriannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

I never had the chance to meet him but I've certainly heard many good things about. May he rest in peace. This is a very sad day for the community.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Yuffie from Kingdom Hearts, Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
ScarletRhapsody
That Girl!

I've had the pleasure of entering Arisia 2013's masquerade this year. Marty really set the standards for how I think a masquerade should be hosted. I admired his energy and ability to entertain the audience. Arisia 2013 was a really fun and inspiring experience. After the con, Marty sent me a PM to my media facebook thanking me for the compliments I gave him on our podcast. He nudged me to start checking out SF/F cons in the south eastern region. I've only met him once and I was hoping we'd run into each other again. I'm just reading up on all his stuff right now and if you haven't, his legacy is amazing. All I can say is this - I hope even 30 years from now, I'll still be having fun at conventions and still enjoying cosplaying!

And I really love this interview from him - lots of insight on cosplay / costuming-past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr8oitvanRc
ScarletRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote