Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
Marthony

Your favorite childhood non-human character?

Hello!

I've noticed that adults like my costume choices largely because the character was a favorite from their childhood. My simple Lego Man costume got great reactions, as well as my 3 G1 Transformers, and most recently my Iron Giant. I hadn't even seen Iron Giant ('99 cartoon movie) until a co-worker told me it was his favorite childhood movie.

In thinking towards my next costume pick I'm curious as to favorites of others. Please list your favorite childhood movie character! I hope to pick one of them.

FYI I prefer 'shell' costumes vs. a 'suit of clothes' cosplay, but you're welcome to change my mind.

Thanks!
Marthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

Don the horse from hot to trot.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

My favorite non-human character would probably be Renamon from Digimon. She was pretty cool, and Rika wasn't too bad either. If I was ever going to do a fursuit cosplay, that would be it.

Current Cosplays: Sheena Fujibayashi (young/successor version)

Upcoming Cosplays: Suzu Fujibayashi, Team Magma Grunt, White Mage

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon

Conventions Attended:

Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Anime Midwest 2018
(Nov) Daisho Con 2018

Last edited by Chiagirl : 11-08-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
Marthony

Hot to Trot? I haven't seen it, but I see it got terrible reviews. Is this a case of a cult following because it is terrible? I'm not sure if bar patrons would get it, with the horse mask product being common since the movie unfortunately.

Renamon? Interesting, as building digi-stilts would be a new twist & effect! Will ponder.

Please keep them coming!
Unread 11-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
loz64

I was fascinated with Garfield the cat as a kid. I used to check out the comic volumes from the library and I loved watching the old 90s cartoon.
Princess Hilda | Rosalina | Pajama Link | Airy | Agitha | Lolita Spock | Lolita Uhura | Riyo Chuchi | Belgemine | Anise Tatlin | Ganondorf (Hyrule Warriors) | Master Eraqus | Lolita Mario | Princess Zelda (BotW) | Yoko (Bravely Second)

Currently working on: nothing!

Next con: MAGFest 2019

Visit my Facebook page for photography, progress photos, con reports, tutorials, and other fun stuff: https://www.facebook.com/MythrilArts
loz64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
Marthony

I read & re-read all of the early books! Even had 'His First Book' with the early artwork.

Now picturing a human-scale Garfield fuzzy costume with purring sound effect. =)
Unread 11-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Scunosi

Anything non-human I liked as a kid was likely an animal, anthro or otherwise, which I'm not sure really fits your style. I wasn't really into robo-shows as a kid, and when I was really young and living overseas I don't think we even got any anyways. I will say I really liked Scyther when Pokemon was first coming out, and a big bug seems like something that would fit your skill-set better than a plush, curvy mammal.

Trying to think of other things I liked when I was really young...Rugrats was big, and it's getting a reboot now. What about a mecha-Reptar like from Rugrats in Paris?

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Princess Peach-New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)

Working On
Wedding planning!
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #8
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

I had a lot!

Cleo from Cadillac Cats
Gadget from Chip n' Dale
Tanya from Fievel Goes West
Striker from 1994 FIFA World Cup (Not from a show but I liked him a lot)
Lola Bunny from Space Jam
Pistol from Goof Troop
Roxanne from A Goofy Movie

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
Marthony

A cute t-rex with side weapons would be different..!

I haven't done a cross-dressed costume since puberty. How are large fuzzy female characters received? I think I'd have to have the right energy day-of to wear what might seem goofy? Would fit right in if I was attending a drag show with my daughter mind you! =)
Unread 11-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthony View Post
Hot to Trot? I haven't seen it, but I see it got terrible reviews. Is this a case of a cult following because it is terrible?
No idea, you asked for movies we liked as kids. All I watched were moves about horses.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #11
walkerofdarknes

Honestly, my favorite non-human characters WERE Transformers. I didn't get my introduction to the giant robot anime segment until I was 19, and even then I had some limited options. I mean, sure I saw E.T. like everyone else, but my folks wouldn't have shown me most of the usual non-human stuff that didn't come from Star Trek or Star Wars. Although....a Starscream X-wing combo...? Hmm...I might have to try that one myself. And yes, I know it should probably be a Starscream TIE fighter.
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #12
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

I agree with Scunosi, animals, a lot of Disney cartoons like Darkwing Duck. I am still thinking about cosplaying Morgana. But I also loved Disney's Robin Hood, Jungle Book, and Aristocats.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote