Cosplays:
Dalish Grey Warden- Dragon Age: Origins
Red- Transistor

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #79157
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudae View Post
It's been a long time since I've last posted. There's been something nagging at the back of my mind as time passes. Time...thinking of it makes me worry about the future. As a cosplayer, time is our greatest enemy and stress inducer...and yet...well...

Is there ever a point where it's time to stop cosplaying? Like, is this hobby something you can "grow out of"? Will you ever be "too old" for it? What about those that crossplay? Will you ever be "too old to pull off that kind of look"? This plauges my mind everyday since I've hit 30...actually since I turned 27...I mean, I know "I" won't really give it up, especially now that I have someone to cosplay with. But, I wonder what the overall perception of it is from everyone else.
Tbh, I don't see cosplay much different from Hollywood (to an extent). I base this off the fact that we can see Ben Affleck parade around in a Daredevil costume, and now Batman. We see Scarlet Johansson parade around as Black Widow and Zoë Saldana as Gamora in superhero movies and no one bats an eye.
Don't get me wrong, I know how Hollywood is preceieved, and we don't want people to see cosplay on the same plane as that; but I was referring to the aspects: makeup, costumes, role play etc. not so much that we need to be seen on the silver screen. Fan Expo gets loads of exposure too. It lets you pick up stuff you can incorporate into other stuff you might do.
Going off your avatar, I wouldn't have guessed you were 30
As for me I feel the same way...tbh, if I didn't find out that cosplay was a thing I wouldn't be finding anything to do. We're always told were young, and young at heart and age is only a number. But there are things I wanted to do with my life so I might not even be on this forum had I been able to pull through.
But I'm glad to be here, if only the moment and especially with how I hit it off at my first con is something I'll be fond of. So that made me stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post
I don't ever want to be too old for cosplay. I have a list of characters I want to cosplay when I'm old and grey. I won't have to make wrinkles with make up, I'll be able to use my own.
Omg, I love how you phrased this
(Permission to quote in my sig?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
I hope I can keep cosplaying, but you do run into more...challenges as life continues aside from just aging (which does stress me out sometimes). I have had to change cosplay plans around pregnancies and babies/small children. Mostly I get worried about not being able to "pull off" certain characters as I get older, and I already know I will never do any stomach baring cosplays as two 9 lb babies have certainly changed the, umm, landscape there. But as long as I'm still having fun and have friends to do it with, then I think I will keep doing it. And if my girls decide to join in then maybe we will be a whole family of them (they're a little young yet).
I always love seeing parents dress up with their kids . It's so cute!

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains
Ryoken Kogami/Revolver (genderbent), Yugioh Vrains
Shay Obsidian (genderbent), Yugioh Arc-V

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 01-22-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #79158
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Quote:
It's been a long time since I've last posted. There's been something nagging at the back of my mind as time passes. Time...thinking of it makes me worry about the future. As a cosplayer, time is our greatest enemy and stress inducer...and yet...well...

Is there ever a point where it's time to stop cosplaying? Like, is this hobby something you can "grow out of"? Will you ever be "too old" for it? What about those that crossplay? Will you ever be "too old to pull off that kind of look"? This plauges my mind everyday since I've hit 30...actually since I turned 27...I mean, I know "I" won't really give it up, especially now that I have someone to cosplay with. But, I wonder what the overall perception of it is from everyone else.
I'm cosplaying a lot of characters I'm not supposed to cosplay anymore at my age, so I wonder the same =/

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #79159
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Then again I turn 26 in March and I already feel like I'm over that hill and speeding downward.
Yoshiko Tsushima (Love Love! Sunshine!!, Summer Uniform) and undetermined others - Amecon (July)

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #79160
Elycium

I'll be 33 in another month and I'm still cosplaying happily. To each their own. Do it as long as it makes you happy

Planned 2018 New Cosplays: Percy de Rolo (Critical Role) / Inquisitor Lavellan (Dragon Age Inquisition) / Keith (Voltron Legendary Defender) / Mollymauk (Critical Role 2)
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #79161
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I know I'll keep cosplaying those teenage characters for a long time. xD

I'm not one to get annoyed with photographers but my cosfriends and I had a photoshoot last year(by next month) and they got the ONLY pics I have of two cosplays. Haven't gotten pics back and they've edited pics of shoots they had of themselves pretty recently. >.> Can't help but side eye to that as I got 0 pics back. Not even one for me to have proof of the cosplays?

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #79162
Syon
leads the crusade

I'm 26. Was around 23 when I picked up the hobby...why the hell should I stop anytime soon?! Its only now that I a) can afford all this stuff, because I have a job, b) have enough place to store everything and c) can travel whenever and whereever I want. Anyone under 18 is basically at the mercy of their parents, hasn't the funds to do anything big and can't just book a hotel 500km away from their home.

The characters I cosplay are adults. And it feels like I just started a couple of years ago to look like one. And honestly...just check out the age of some popular cosplayers. Yaya Han is 35, Jessica Nigri is 28, Kamui is 31... so its not like the world of cosplay is dominated by teenagers. And there are plenty of characters that aren't 12 year olds.

-----
Why do I always have a love for the rare and obscure? And why is it always white haired characters?
Unread 01-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #79163
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Goddammit why is my tape measure never around when I need it.
Yoshiko Tsushima (Love Love! Sunshine!!, Summer Uniform) and undetermined others - Amecon (July)

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #79164
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Ah, all you young ones cosplaying. I'm 40 and last summer I cosplayed Usagi-chan.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/500044/

I'm finally developing some sewing skills. Sure I also cosplay adult characters, but if I love a character, I'm going to cosplay them.

Have fun and cosplay as long as you're having fun. There is no age limit on cosplay.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #79165
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

I'm 27 and will be 28 in March, but I don't want to stop cosplaying anytime soon. I have friends who are older than me that still do, so why should I stop?

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2018, 11:43 PM   #79166
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Well, for the record, my current avatar at the time of this post was taken in 2014. I was actually 29 in that one. I "recently" did a Freya cosplay from Chobits...I was 31 in that one...and yet somehow still got confused for a woman...major confidence boost from that.

But with Katsucon coming up and I'm soon turning 33, I've a cosplay coming up and I'm...well...a little worried if age will ruin the perception of it for me. Let's say this character is...a little leggy.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/93...2c87ffe51e.jpg

I know I'm beating a dead horse and I'm sorry, but I just...I have very little confidence already that any time I think of my age, I tremble in fear of what others will think. I'm silly.

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Planning and Praying...
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #79167
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Quote:

But with Katsucon coming up and I'm soon turning 33, I've a cosplay coming up and I'm...well...a little worried if age will ruin the perception of it for me. Let's say this character is...a little leggy.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/93...2c87ffe51e.jpg
Ooo, I look forward to seeing pictures of your cosplay.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #79168
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Oh MAN I can't wait get my Janome back. I'm glad I had an emergency backup, but god DAMN this Elna is slow. And basic (it has one stitch- straight. And not much variation in length) And backstitching to secure my thread is a multi-step procedure that takes forever to do, no easy button to press. I know it was made as a travel-friendly compact machine in 1940, but uuuugh, I never thought I'd miss my modern one so much. Thank goodness I only need to get my Eton jacket done with this, assuming I get my Janome back from the shop in the timeframe they gave me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #79169
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
I'm 26. Was around 23 when I picked up the hobby...why the hell should I stop anytime soon?! Its only now that I a) can afford all this stuff, because I have a job, b) have enough place to store everything and c) can travel whenever and whereever I want. Anyone under 18 is basically at the mercy of their parents, hasn't the funds to do anything big and can't just book a hotel 500km away from their home.

The characters I cosplay are adults. And it feels like I just started a couple of years ago to look like one. And honestly...just check out the age of some popular cosplayers. Yaya Han is 35, Jessica Nigri is 28, Kamui is 31... so its not like the world of cosplay is dominated by teenagers. And there are plenty of characters that aren't 12 year olds.

-----
Why do I always have a love for the rare and obscure? And why is it always white haired characters?
I'm 32 and I'm not interested in adult characters, I've been told several times here to look for more mature characters and it made me sad because I've always wanted to cosplay those youthful and colorful Digimon, Pokémon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Vocaloid, etc. characters I've always loved since I was 23, in fact I started cosplaying at 29 because in all those years between almost no one wanted to teach me to sew (excepting a friend and a friend's mom) and no one wanted to comission me the costumes I wanted, now I'm finally in the cosplay position I've always wanted to be, but sometimes I wonder if it's OK to be here at my age and if I'm doing the right character choice and if I came too late to the youthful cosplay scenario.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 01-24-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #79170
Syon
leads the crusade

Lets be honest here for a second: Yes, you are not going to pass as a young girl or boy and you never will be the real-life lookalike of any of those characters. But...the question is: Is that actually a serious problem?
There are tons of cosplayers out there who do not match their chosen characters perfectly. I would even go as far as saying _most_ don't. Some are way smaller or taller than their chosen characters. Some are too skinny or too curvy, weigh way more than the character or don't have the muscle size. Have bigger or smaller breasts than the character. Or don't match the characters skin tone or share the same facial structure. The list is endless.

If people reduce their criticism to your age, then they either have to critices most other cosplayers aswell or they are just hypocrites.