Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Caboose1

Any suggestions on how to get the ridges on these gloves/armwarmers?

Hi,
I'm doing Imu from legend of mana. Now she has these very interested gloves/arm warmers.
I think I know how to the ridge along her hand but its the double ridges at the top around her arm I'm not sure hoe to do because they curve and are raised. I have thought of making just those two separate pieces I attach later, but I also don't know how to get them to stand up then. Any suggestions?

Caboose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Do you have reference pictures?
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Penlowe

It's a bit like a ruffle with piping cord sewn into the edge (and an extra ruffle with piping cord for the top). Piping cord is sold in the notions area of most fabric stores, usually near the velcro and twill tape and other things sold by the yard.

If you put cording in the edge, it will stand out on it's own without too much manipulation or other engineering required.
Unread 02-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
lemuries

I would have said piping too, although using the big stuff by the DIY curtain area would probably work better. They do seem to have a bit of a lettuce-edge look to them, and if you're working with stretch fabrics, you achieve that by making sure the fabric is stretched out during sewing. Here's a youtube video that demonstrates what a lettuce-edge look is.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Caboose1

I definitely will try the piping but I don't think its a lettuce edge because they are the exact same shape on both of them, so I feel like that would be hard to achieve with lettuce edging. Also I should have mentioned but I'm working with a rayon/silk non stretch fabric for this.

-Mehdia: can you not see the pictures in the original post?
Unread 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
lemuries

I think I was suggesting the lettuce edge because the piping has a kind of ruffling to it, rather than being as big as the arm (this picture shows what it would look like if it were only as big as the arm).

Your reference pictures look like there is more fabric/piping there than the circumference of the arm, so the circle shape buckles up and down like what I'd call a lettuce edge (top reference picture, raised arm shows it best).

Since your fabric is not stretchy, I'd make the arms larger than the circumference of the arm, and then sew the top to a ring of elastic streched out when making the piping. That way, there's blousing below the piping, and the piping has to collapse in what I call the lettuce edge.

Am I explaining that clearly?
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Caboose1

Yes definitely, I understand. That's a great idea ^_^. Do you think maybe adding some metal wiring into/next to the piping will help to make sure it stays in the shape I want?