Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Unread 03-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Sapphirecatgirl

Lolita Sewing Pattern Controversy

http://www.simplicity.com/dw/image/v...&sh=502&sm=fit

http://www.simplicity.com/dw/image/v...&sh=502&sm=fit

Where do I begin? Around last year the Simplicity pattern company released these two patterns as part of their Spring/Summer 2017 catalog and it had the Lolita sub-fashion community in a small uproar about these products. People had come forward that the cat eared bonnet from Pattern 8443 was stolen from an independent designer at a Lolita fashion conference called Rufflecon in 2016. Said designer was upset that her original design was taken and recreated in a mass-market product for people and people petitioned to have the Simplicity pattern company (One of the Convention's Main Sponsors) and Simplicity was subsequently removed as sponsor for Rufflecon 2017. I spoke to people that work in the fashion industry, and was told repeatedly that "Fashion, costume, and accessory designs can't be copyrighted because clothing is a utility item" . I understand where people are coming from with regards to the someone having their designs stolen and not receiving credit, but at the same time cutting off the main financial sponsor for a smaller event like RuffleCon seemed very drastic. All companies have their unethical/shady practices, but where do we as a community know the right time and place? As of this post, Rufflecon's website and social media have all been deactivated and word on the web is that there will be no Rufflecon 2018. Lets not sugar coat it- this sucks. I was unable to go last year due to work related scheduling issues and for plenty of other people, that means there will probably never be a Lolita fashion event on the scale of Rufflecon for years to come. Sigh... Let ,me know your opinions on the matter.

Upcoming or In Progress Costumes
Peridot (Steven Universe)....... 75% Done
Esther Blanchett (Trinity Blood) .............45% Done
Sapphirecatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote