Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > D.Gray Man

Unread 05-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Noutathewolf

Smile Lavi Crossplay. Help!

Hello, here I am hoping to do the 3rd version of Lavi's outfit with the red trim. I'd like to make the outfit from scratch, since last time I ordered a commission outfit it was a HORRIBLE mess and I'd rather blame myself than some company in China if my outfit isn't perfect.. Now, here's where I need the advice: This outfit has a lot going on!
I need help in deciding what should be homemade and what should be purchased online. Here's what I have so far.

Homemade:
Scarf
Tights
Hammer (The hard part now is choosing tiny portable mode or massive battle mode!)

Online/Premade:
Uniform Patches
Wig (where should I get it from?)
Eyepatch

Combination of the two:
Gloves
Boots (Modify Store bought ones?)

Are there any elements of the Cosplay that you believe will be tricky?
Are there any small pieces I'm missing, or any advice for what to do?
Would felt (I'm talking $.29 felt from Michaels) be a good fit for trim? Or should I use higher quality fabric?
Speaking of Fabric, what do you suggest would be the most affordable, yet quality mix?
Any other advice?

In advance I thank you for anyone who can help me with this. It's not my first time making a homemade Cosplay, but it is the first one I hope to get close to perfection.
Noutathewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You ask if any parts are tricky, and I would say that getting all the details just right on his pants can be tricky, but not hard. You just have to plan what goes down where and when they overlap and all that.

For the scarf, I used fleece because it held itself up really nice (I have really quick tutorial if you need it for the scarf).

I wouldn't use felt for the trim. It's a uniform, felt would cheapen the look. For the red, I used extra wide double fold bias tape. It's really easy to go around the edges and stitch down. It also makes it much easier to make sure it's all straight and uniform in size. As for the fabric, I used a polyester gabardine for my Lavi, my friend's Lenalee, and an Allen commission.

Don't forget the beaded parts that hang from the buttons to the E button on the jacket. Those are very prominent on the uniform.

Here's how mine turned out (along with pictures of my friend as Lenalee).

Feel free to ask any other questions if you need a little help. I love the 3rd uniforms and have had fun making three versions of them so far.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Noutathewolf

The problem is he was only shown in his new outfit in the manga a few times - maybe 5 or 6 times? A lot of the ebay sellers have variations in the cosplay too. I was thinking using white yoga pants as the base for the pants and figuring out which is the most accurate design and then cutting out black pants and just sewing them where need be.
AS for the coat, I noticed that women's business coats look very close. I would just need to do a behind the scenes adjustment so the buttons go to the side and then change the buttons aswell. The only problem it is will be a mirror version of his, since it's womens clothes.
I'll check out your tutorial for the scarf. Is it a hot material? That's another worry because this cosplay is going to be HOT. I'll check out the tape! And Michaels sells some very nice chains that I can set on the coat.
THank you for the advice and I'll be sure to check out your version!
Noutathewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I had to get creative with a few parts since he didn't show up a ton in the new uniform. I used a lot of the art book references to get a good idea of what I wanted the costume to look like. I sort of did what you are planning with the pants, only I did them out of gabardine and made them totally myself. I wanted a fabric that wouldn't stretch and distort as I wore the pants. Also, since it was a uniform costume, I wanted my fabrics to match.

The uniform coats are double-breasted jackets sort of like a chef's coat. You might be able to find something like that to make yours. I started with a pattern I use for a lot of stuff and then extended the front to make it sit just where I wanted. That also allowed me to have the coat close in the right direction.

Here's my scarf tutorial if you still need it. I made the scarf out of fleece, which can be a warm fabric, but since you aren't wearing a whole costume made of it, you shouldn't get too hot. I wore this costume two years in the summer and didn't get super hot in it, and my jacket is fully lined, I wore a tank top under it along with bindings, gloves, the layered pants, and the boots. Not to mention wig and eye patch. Just don't over exert yourself and you should be fine.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote