Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 02-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
pokoppoki
HalcyonCoded

Bayonetta 2 cosplay Shoulder Pads and bodysuit

Hello!

I'm doing a super last minute cosplay of Bayonetta (from Bayonetta 2)

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20150530040603

I have a bodysuit in mind but I want to modify it and add some grey fabric but I'm not sure if a lycra Spandex if possible.

Can I cut Lycra spandex while keeping the form? The details on her legs and her back? What zentai suit/bodysuit can I cut? Let me know!

Thanks for any help! I really want to cosplay with my twin sister who will be Loki from Bayonetta 2!

UPDATE: I'm all set on the "hair" part. I'm just going to use sheer fabric

It's my 6th year at Anime Boston!
2018: Royal Guard Link and Bayonetta (Bayonetta 2)

Last edited by pokoppoki : 02-20-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: b
pokoppoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Penlowe

The link was tiny but I assume it has lots of cut outs and that is the question?

Yes and no. If you just cut holes, no matter what shape, they will spread according to the tension on the fabric and be roundish (think about holes in hose or tights. Runs tend to be square, but on a body they go round).
Which means you have a lot of sewing to stabilize the openings' shapes. Which in the post you said "last minute" which means you may not have time to do it right. Applique will be faster than cutting and stabilizing many openings, but it will still be time consuming.

Stabilizing an opening:
Cut both a facing and ( in your case a stretch) stabilizer (Pellon is a brand name that might ring a bell for you) to the same size and shape as the desired opening.
Sew right sides together with the stabilizer stacked on top of the wrong side of the facing.
Clip points and corners and turn to the inside through your opening.
Top stitch to hold facing in place.
Tack the corners of the facing in place by hand.

Here's a bunch of facings if you don't know what that is.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dres...w=1920&bih=949
Unread 02-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
pokoppoki
HalcyonCoded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
The link was tiny but I assume it has lots of cut outs and that is the question?

Yes and no. If you just cut holes, no matter what shape, they will spread according to the tension on the fabric and be roundish (think about holes in hose or tights. Runs tend to be square, but on a body they go round).
Which means you have a lot of sewing to stabilize the openings' shapes. Which in the post you said "last minute" which means you may not have time to do it right. Applique will be faster than cutting and stabilizing many openings, but it will still be time consuming.

Stabilizing an opening:
Cut both a facing and ( in your case a stretch) stabilizer (Pellon is a brand name that might ring a bell for you) to the same size and shape as the desired opening.
Sew right sides together with the stabilizer stacked on top of the wrong side of the facing.
Clip points and corners and turn to the inside through your opening.
Top stitch to hold facing in place.
Tack the corners of the facing in place by hand.

Here's a bunch of facings if you don't know what that is.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dres...w=1920&bih=949
Oh Sorry about that! I thought the link to the picture would be a lot bigger!
Here we are. I'll change it again if it appears smaller
https://platformernews.files.wordpre...2_2bayo_02.jpg

Thank you for the help! I was wondering if there are any videos you recommend? I'm a visual learner and I may get lost if I don't have a reference.

Also, is there a fabric that can be easily cut? I really don't want to ruin the bodysuit on the first try. If stabilizing is the way to go, I don't mind, but I am a beginner in sewing and especially with spandex.

Last edited by pokoppoki : 02-20-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Unread 02-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Penlowe

Quote:
Also, is there a fabric that can be easily cut? I really don't want to ruin the bodysuit on the first try. If stabilizing is the way to go, I don't mind, but I am a beginner in sewing and especially with spandex.
All of this tells me that you are not yet at a place where you can do this quickly. You sound like you've got the ooomph to try new things, but I'm specifically talking about time. I'm really experienced and this would take me several long days to do. Through the last year of teaching absolute beginners I've settled on a formula:

my real time doing a sewing task = A

A x 3 = Beginners minimum sewing time
A x 4 = Beginners average sewing time

So, if a dress takes me two hours, it''l take a beginner 6-8 hours to complete in the same manner.

The fastest way to do this is not to sew at all, but paint flesh tone into the diamonds. That will get you something you can wear fastest. The up side is you can still do the sewing and cut out your diamonds later, when you've got many hours to dedicate to it.
Unread 03-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
pokoppoki
HalcyonCoded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
All of this tells me that you are not yet at a place where you can do this quickly. You sound like you've got the ooomph to try new things, but I'm specifically talking about time. I'm really experienced and this would take me several long days to do. Through the last year of teaching absolute beginners I've settled on a formula:

my real time doing a sewing task = A

A x 3 = Beginners minimum sewing time
A x 4 = Beginners average sewing time

So, if a dress takes me two hours, it''l take a beginner 6-8 hours to complete in the same manner.

The fastest way to do this is not to sew at all, but paint flesh tone into the diamonds. That will get you something you can wear fastest. The up side is you can still do the sewing and cut out your diamonds later, when you've got many hours to dedicate to it.
Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response. My computer was acting weird. I also appreciate you for not bashing me about this! I'm going to paint diamonds onto the legs when I get the chance and when touching up the costume, I'll use it as a base to practice!

Unread 03-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
Penlowe

I try hard to always teach, and being critical before someone starts doesn't promote learning. And I appreciate that you actually read and thought about what I had to say I find it horribly frustrating to type up a page of "this will be easier and get you a better result..." to see them completely ignore it then return days layer crying about how their plan was a disaster. You have NO idea how many times I have refrained from saying "I told you so..."
Unread 03-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
MNNprops

Quick and easy option, place a masking tape design with the diamond shapes that need to be cut out but not the diamond but it's outline. Spray paint diamonds with skin tone paint or brush it on. Done! Also since I'm assuming this body suit is dark you could do several passes with bleach on the diamond pattern shapes it will not only lighten it so it's easier to paint but if the suits cotton it will actually thin out the fabric with every application of bleach until the fabric is see threw in those areas if you use bleach first. 1 instead of using the diamond outline use the reverse meaning make a diamond shape with masking tape. Second place it where you want it. 3. Paint a thin line around the edge of the diamond with super glue or polyurethane this will prevent the bleach from spreading past the diamond shape. 4 remove tape diamond and paint the area where it was with several coats of bleach. I used this technique to make spin art shirts with black shirts and bleach. It eats away the cotton leaving you with an airy design where the bleach was.

Last edited by MNNprops : 03-22-2018 at 11:16 AM.
MNNprops is offline   Reply With Quote