Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 07-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
rawrlion

White without bleach

I have no doubt this has been asked a million times, but I can't find any conclusive answers, so here goes:

Is there any way to get natural hair temporarily (i.e. for a few hours) completely white, without making it hard and flaky? I have waist length dirty blond hair, which makes it hard to put into a wig that doesn't have volume.

Has anyone managed this without bleach and had success?
rawrlion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Nope. Seriously though, get a wig. I have boob length hair but it's super thick and I can still get all of that under a wig. Tons of members here have hair down to their butts and they can still get a wig to sit right.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

With that much hair? Absolutely no way. Things like hair chalk or powder or coloured gels will generally only work on shorter hair. I'm seconding a wig.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

also if ur having issues w too much hair, odds are u need a larger wig size. buy epiccosplay or area
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
Kelley
Devil of Details

My mom has mid-back length hair and able to get it under a wig. There are awesome tutorials on YouTube from people with *even longer* hair, too !

You can't lighten your hair without bleaching it - like you noted the "sprays" make it crunchy and ugly. Even stuff like lemons that people use to lighten hair "naturally" is still bleaching the hair chemically.

Going WHITE is very, very hard on hair. It takes multiple bleachings and with such long hair could be very damaging and you might lose some of it. Ideally you'd want to bleach over weeks or months at a time and condition in-between and you'd need to use a tint to get it "white" instead of "weird yellow" in the end. But since you want temporary, that doesn't matter !

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
phantasystar67

Unfortunately I have to second everybody else here! Sprays look bad and crunchy and bleach is the other option. I guess you could chalk it, but that might not cover it up fully, would take a LOT of hair chalk, and might fade quickly. Arda and Epic Cosplay have larger wig cap sizes though. And if you need LOOOOONG White hair, Epic Cosplay is the way to go. Arda is nice but their longer wigs do tangle a lot and are hard to work out. Epic Cosplay isn't tangle immune, but they are pretty resistant and the tangles are fairly easy to brush out.
phantasystar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Also as mentioned by animenerd93 Arda Wigs have the largest wig size to accommodation thick long hair like yours.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote