Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 07-13-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
RazorRain
Sora fan

How to improve Koto cosplay?

I've been told multiple times now that my Koto from Yu Yu Hakusho cosplay isn't very good and I'm at a loss at how to improve it.
I asked my friend what she thought was wrong with it and she said the wig. But I'm pretty sure I couldn't get a wig much closer to the hairstyle. Other than the shirt, which I admit is a little wonky from a bad sew job, I thought I did a pretty good job getting pretty close to what the character looks like. Apparently not :P
Oh and I did get a better tail than the one in the pictures.

Here's the character: https://goo.gl/images/X1b2HX
https://goo.gl/images/VYUusd

Here's my cosplay: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/383121/

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by RazorRain : 07-13-2017 at 01:07 AM.
RazorRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Keitarin
Keyblade Wielder

I don't think your cosplay looks too bad actually! I'm not familiar with the character, but after looking at some references and gifs, I'd suggest the following improvements:

-More dramatic eye makeup. Your makeup looks cute in close-up shots like this one, but your eyes kind of disappear in your other pictures. It looks like the character has some pretty impressive winged eyeliner, so I would add that to your own makeup. Don't be shy about putting the eyeliner on a bit thicker than you normally would. (but be careful not to go too overboard!) I also suggest using some eye shadow to make your eyebrows match your wig color; it's always a nice touch.
Also, in the references I looked at, it looks like she has small cat whisker lines on her cheeks, so I would add those too.

-For the wig, maybe try something a bit longer and use some hairspray to poof it up a bit. This character's hair is full of fluffy layers and volume, and seems to kinda go in all directions. Maybe something like Epic Cosplay's Apollo in copper red could be styled to suit your cosplay.

-For the costume, your choices of colors look really accurate and the craftsmanship of the shirt really isn't too bad! If you were willing to re-make it, however, I suggest widening the neckline and making it closer to an off-the-shoulder top, like in this image.

Lastly, you could also try wearing colored contacts and some fang tooth caps to match her green eyes and little pointed teeth. However I know both of those can be uncomfortable and contacts are pricey; they're just nice touches.

I hope this is helpful!
Sabitsuki (.flow): 85%
Keitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
RazorRain
Sora fan

Great tips! Thank you so much I especially like the wig you recommend, I like it a lot more than the one I have now lol.
RazorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

I was impressed when I looked at your cosplay. Overall, it looks really close to the reference pictures. It does look like the shirt especially is more fitted than yours. Your seams could be taken in at strategic places and adding small darts to the front at the undercuts will help with that.

It also looks like the reference picture used darker stitching that you did. You could go over your seams or add top stitching to where they are on the reference pic.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote