Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 03-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Chaletica
Chaotic Lazy Anti-Villain

Some armsock questions from a newbie

Hey! I'm gonna try making some armsocks for the first time and have a few questions:
1. Gonna buy from welovecolors, https://www.welovecolors.com/shop/tights.htm, would the microfiber, the regular nylon/lycra or the 100% nylon (called "solid color") be best to use? Or would any of them be just as good?
2. For a character without differently colored nails, should I just leave the nails unpainted or use nailpolish in the same color as the glove? What would look best?
3. What would be the best way/glue to attach a plate of worbla (already shaped around the hand) to one hand?

http://consolers.webcomic.ws My webcomic, Consolers. It's about game companies

Last edited by Chaletica : 03-19-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Scunosi

1. I've only ever used the one pair I bought to make armsocks, which had to be nylon/lycra 'cuz it was plus-sized, but I didn't have any issues sewing it. I can't technically compare since I haven't tried both though, but I'd imagine microfiber would be almost like sewing a thin fleece? If so that could be a bit too thin or warm for armsocks, at least how I'd like them anyway. It's already hard enough to get a grip or finger on something when wearing them, making the fabric thicker is just going to make it tougher. But conversely probably a good idea for a colder con.

2. Definitely paint your nails to match, if you even want to have them. Depending on what character your doing they may not have typically have visible nails (I'm sure they technically have them but often aren't drawn/animated to keep designs simple); I didn't include nails for Amethyst and felt I looked fine, I probably wouldn't have even wanted to have them as it would look less cartoony. If I had done them I would've painted them either the same or a matching shade though, possibly lighter as your own nails will normally be a bit lighter than your skin, but your choice obviously. If you leave them regular flesh color and your skin is purple it's going to look horrifying. Unless that's the look you're going for. I guess they do sell clear fake nails but I feel like there's not much point in using those unless you're making claws/obviously long nails?

3. Personally I try to make everything as separate as possible for cleaning and transportation reasons, and armsocks are easily (hand)washable unless you go and glue a piece of plastic to them (among other things). This all depends on what your Worbla actually looks like so without a picture I can't say for sure, but if the design allows for it I'd run some matching or complementary elastic across the underside so you can wear it like the top half of a glove. If that is too wiggly you can attach Velcro to the top of the hand and the inside of the plate and it'll hold relatively well. I had Velcro hold up a gauntlet for Lunara but with enough heat it did start to fall off, but was easy enough to re-attach. To give a better answer though we'd really need a picture of what you've got.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Wicke (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

I've worked with the microfiber tights, so I can help with that portion.

They're not super duper thick. I'd say about the same as dance tights. I used these for my Rainbow Quartz leggings, and they're pretty opaque with no visual distinction between the leg and panty area (there is a distinction on the cheapest tights, though it's minimal), though where they're stretched the most (around my hips and butt), they's less opaque. The first image here is a good illustration of the thickness -- you can see my skin color showing through a little around my hips. I would guess that they're like a thin pair of leggings, or a tiny bit thinner. They're not fleece-like at all.

I've never worn armsocks so I can't really help with how they would work as armsocks, but they did sew nicely when I cut the stirrups in for RQ. They're really nice, but may be a little thick around your fingers.
Unread 03-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Chaletica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
1. I've only ever used the one pair I bought to make armsocks, which had to be nylon/lycra 'cuz it was plus-sized, but I didn't have any issues sewing it. I can't technically compare since I haven't tried both though, but I'd imagine microfiber would be almost like sewing a thin fleece? If so that could be a bit too thin or warm for armsocks, at least how I'd like them anyway. It's already hard enough to get a grip or finger on something when wearing them, making the fabric thicker is just going to make it tougher. But conversely probably a good idea for a colder con.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind
They're not super duper thick. I'd say about the same as dance tights. I used these for my Rainbow Quartz leggings, and they're pretty opaque with no visual distinction between the leg and panty area (there is a distinction on the cheapest tights, though it's minimal), though where they're stretched the most (around my hips and butt), they's less opaque. The first image here is a good illustration of the thickness -- you can see my skin color showing through a little around my hips. I would guess that they're like a thin pair of leggings, or a tiny bit thinner. They're not fleece-like at all.
I've never worn armsocks so I can't really help with how they would work as armsocks, but they did sew nicely when I cut the stirrups in for RQ. They're really nice, but may be a little thick around your fingers.
Well, I don't think they'd be too thin since the site says they have slightly higher denier, but the other stuff regarding how they might be thicker around fingers, harder to grip stuff ect might be a concern... if the others work just as well I could go with those instead since they're cheaper. And looking at the same site it says nylon/lycra mix is both slightly stretchier and more durable, so... guess that might be better than just plain nylon? Or might plain nylon be better for this purpose?

Quote:
2. Definitely paint your nails to match, if you even want to have them. Depending on what character your doing they may not have typically have visible nails (I'm sure they technically have them but often aren't drawn/animated to keep designs simple); I didn't include nails for Amethyst and felt I looked fine, I probably wouldn't have even wanted to have them as it would look less cartoony. If I had done them I would've painted them either the same or a matching shade though, possibly lighter as your own nails will normally be a bit lighter than your skin, but your choice obviously. If you leave them regular flesh color and your skin is purple it's going to look horrifying. Unless that's the look you're going for. I guess they do sell clear fake nails but I feel like there's not much point in using those unless you're making claws/obviously long nails?
Yeah, I kinda figured that out when taking a proper look at some fake nails today x3 It's just gonna be plain, short nails so will probably get the shortest version they have. Already been taking note of what shops/brands have the right color though I'd of course have to bring the tights in person to ensure a perfect match x3

Quote:
3. Personally I try to make everything as separate as possible for cleaning and transportation reasons, and armsocks are easily (hand)washable unless you go and glue a piece of plastic to them (among other things). This all depends on what your Worbla actually looks like so without a picture I can't say for sure, but if the design allows for it I'd run some matching or complementary elastic across the underside so you can wear it like the top half of a glove. If that is too wiggly you can attach Velcro to the top of the hand and the inside of the plate and it'll hold relatively well. I had Velcro hold up a gauntlet for Lunara but with enough heat it did start to fall off, but was easy enough to re-attach. To give a better answer though we'd really need a picture of what you've got.
Hm, yeah... would probably be nice to easily wash them.
The character is CATS from Zero Wing:

Here's some (early-ish, might still do some retouching but you get the idea) photos of the piece I got, when I still was thinking of just painting the hands I just glued it on with skin glue and it fit pretty well:

I'd prefer the metal plate on his hand to be "attached" to the front of the hand and wrap around as close as possible (and the back, but the very back will be covered by my sleeve anyway so that's slightly less of a concern) like it's part of the hand, instead of "sticking out". Would there be a way to attach this in a removeable way, would velcro work well for this?

...also another thing I suddenly realized - how would I deal with con wristbands and putting them on/getting them off while wearing these? Unless I'm going with the version where it's just 2 separate gloves (which might work since it's just the hands I need covered) I imagine it could be a pain having to pull the whole thing through this, especially with nails attached...

Last edited by Chaletica : 03-20-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 03-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaletica View Post
Well, I don't think they'd be too thin since the site says they have slightly higher denier, but the other stuff regarding how they might be thicker around fingers, harder to grip stuff ect might be a concern... if the others work just as well I could go with those instead since they're cheaper. And looking at the same site it says nylon/lycra mix is both slightly stretchier and more durable, so... guess that might be better than just plain nylon? Or might plain nylon be better for this purpose?
Can't really say, other than Lycra is specifically used in a lot of sportswear so it does seem that's what would make it possibly more durable. I can't see a downside to doing the mix instead of pure nylon other than if they don't carry your color.

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda figured that out when taking a proper look at some fake nails today x3 It's just gonna be plain, short nails so will probably get the shortest version they have. Already been taking note of what shops/brands have the right color though I'd of course have to bring the tights in person to ensure a perfect match x3

Make sure you don't buy too short right off the bat; you can always trim long nails shorter, but if they end up being smaller than you want you'll end up having to buy another full set. Also I believe people typically just use nail polish to match their colors, or possibly even acrylic paint since it's not like you're going to be re-painting them and that won't flake (as much).

Quote:
Hm, yeah... would probably be nice to easily wash them.
The character is CATS from Zero Wing:

Here's some (early-ish, might still do some retouching but you get the idea) photos of the piece I got, when I still was thinking of just painting the hands I just glued it on with skin glue and it fit pretty well:

I'd prefer the metal plate on his hand to be "attached" to the front of the hand and wrap around as close as possible (and the back, but the very back will be covered by my sleeve anyway so that's slightly less of a concern) like it's part of the hand, instead of "sticking out". Would there be a way to attach this in a removeable way, would velcro work well for this?
Hm, if you want it that tight that it looks like it's a part of or grown into his hand, you probably can't get around just gluing it on. I would say you could make it a prosthetic with liquid latex but that would really only work if you weren't wearing armsocks and were just doing your own skin.

I can say that Velcro will work, but you probably won't get a skin-tight look. I used both glue and Velcro at different points of my Lunara gauntlet; I glued the smaller parts directly onto my hand, and from the wrist up it was Velcro. You can see that stuck out much more than the hand bits.

If that's the look you want, I'd say go ahead and glue it on. You should probably still be able to wash it, you'll just have to be careful around the glue, and make sure not to use a glue that's water soluble (Elmer's glue).

Quote:
...also another thing I suddenly realized - how would I deal with con wristbands and putting them on/getting them off while wearing these? Unless I'm going with the version where it's just 2 separate gloves (which might work since it's just the hands I need covered) I imagine it could be a pain having to pull the whole thing through this, especially with nails attached...
I'm not sure I can really help you with this. I can't say I've been to a con that does wristbands, mine all just use badges? Unless it's maybe an 18+ band to signify you can attend mature panels. I'd imagine any con that does wristbands though would already know some options for cosplays with chunky armor or props, I wouldn't let this impact your build. Cons want cosplayers to come and show off, it attracts future business, they'll work around what you've got to make sure you can get in.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Wicke (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

Working On
---

Last edited by Scunosi : 03-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Chaletica

Quote:
I'm not sure I can really help you with this. I can't say I've been to a con that does wristbands, mine all just use badges? Unless it's maybe an 18+ band to signify you can attend mature panels. I'd imagine any con that does wristbands though would already know some options for cosplays with chunky armor or props, I wouldn't let this impact your build. Cons want cosplayers to come and show off, it attracts future business, they'll work around what you've got to make sure you can get in.
Ah, most cons here use wristbands, every con I've been to does (aside from a few events just using hand stamps, typically not "cosplay" events though), never been to one with a badge... but I guess I could just ask the con. Only workaround I see is getting a new wristband every day, cutting it off and showing my ticket again for a new one... or cutting it off and taping it together back on.

Last edited by Chaletica : 03-21-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Unread 03-22-2017, 05:13 AM   #7
Chaletica

So, I've ordered my tights - I actually ended up ordering two different ones in different colors, the other one from sockdreams - because the facepaint color photos I took (and looking at myself in mirror/phone cam) turned out somewhat different depending on lightning ect. and I kind of have to see in person what color would be closest (it's most likely one of the two, at least) x3