Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
MrRebel
Ocelot

Weight and Cosplay

Hello friends... Ok, so here is my problem... I am over weight (not obese.. but pretty damn husky) Anyway i am going to cosplay at animeNEXT in june...... I know exactly the shirt and pants i will be wearing as well (geting it from an online shop, which has thousands in stock) But i want to lose weight before the convention.......

Now here is the question... Should i buy the shirt and pants now, jsut so i can have them..... Or should i wait as late as possible untill i lose the weight, and then buy it right before the convention?
MrRebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I'm also just alittle over weight, but not that much so I just need to lose alittle weight. Anyways if your trying to lose weight I say wait awhile before you buy the shirt and pants because if you do wieght they might be too big and not fit right. I hope that helps abit.
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Tenjou

It depends on how much you're going to try to lose...

but I remember my mom told me once when dealing with fabric, it's better to order/sew/buy fabric big or more than you think you'll need as opposed to getting smaller than you need.

I think though, if the store has thousands in stock, then you can wait a little while. But don't order at the last possible minute if you need to alter some things on the items... then you might be mad at yourself for waiting so long and having a poor-quality costume that you could've spent more time on.

if that made any sense o_x;
KATUSCON 2015: [ der Tod | Tomoyo | Tenjou Utena | Freya | PJ Chii | Generic Maid #43 ]
Tenjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Kunoichi Gurl

Exactly what chibi_kistune said. If u get them now and lose weight over the time, when u try them on, they'll be too big and u won't be able to wear them.
Kunoichi Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
lithiumflower
revolving light

Agreed; I would wait. If they have thousands in stock, what's really the rush? Just be sure not to wait too long before getting it. Maybe buy it a month or so before the convention?

Best of luck with loosing the weight that you wish to loose.
lithiumflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
zaldebaran
Scourge of the bathtub!

I would wait until about a month before the con, since your guaranteed to get them in time. Of course, if your loosing the weight for the costume itself, remember this; no one, not even the most beautiful and in shape, can look exactly like a video game or anime or what have you character. You're probably beautiful the way you are. But if this is what you really want, goodness knows I'm doing the same thing, good luck to you.
Malon -- Kunicon 2005 (LoZ Ocarina of Time)
Elena -- 2005 (Final Fantasy VII)
Fujin -- 2005 (Final Fantasy VIII)
Alice -- 2005 (Alice in Wonderland, Original Design)
zaldebaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 07:19 PM   #7
MrRebel
Ocelot

yeah well i mean i am losing weight as a motive to atleast look slightly liek the char (you dont see a fat revolver ocelot :-P) but i mean also for me... to make me feel better and feel more healthy.....

thanks for the advice guys, i didnt wanna buy something to soon becouse if i did lose wieght it might not have fit you know?
MrRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:01 PM   #8
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

Don't buy things intending to lose weight. 90% of the time people do this and the items just sit in their closet. Wear what fits you NOW - and not what you may or may not be in 4 months
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #9
nebbie

Wait to buy it. I mean, if it's something you can buy at the store, it'll probably still be there come convention-time.
nebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #10
niphrodel

Sometimes what I do is buy a pair of pants that are the size I want to get down to and make it my goal to be able to fit them by a certain time... maybe you could get the costume in the size you think you can manage by June, and use that as motivation? I know that every time I look at those size 0 pants in my closet i get an urge to go out an exersize^^ might be to risky though, considering if you don't reach your goal (or go too far!) it won't fit XD
Unread 01-02-2005, 12:11 AM   #11
wulfmune
hyper repair!

you can only lose so much weight in a certain amount of time and be healthy about it so i pretty much agree with the suggestion of getting the costume in whatever size you end up being a month or so before the con. really i don't think buying sizes too small in hopes of forcing yourself to fit in them is a good idea. everyone's metabolism and natural body type is different so i think it would be kind of...like punishing yourself O_o;;. trying to be more healthy and active, can be fun and make you feel more energetic with a positive outlook. imo losing weight should just be a side benefit.
wulfmune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 01:03 AM   #12
Amy the Yu
Uber-Otaku

I would say it depends on how you are at sticking with actually losing the weight.

Best bet would be to wait a bit cause most people will want to lose weight, but not end up doing exactly what they want. Not always the person's fault, but life's unpredictable.

I always make my costumes about a size smaller than I am, but my weight can fluxuate 5 lbs in either direction in a single day. It's really not hard for me to lose 10 lbs in just 1 week and it's not unhealthy weight loss either.

Next Convention: Youmacon
2009 Cons: Katsucon, Con-G, MacTAC, Ad Astra, Anime North, Colossalcon, Polaris, Otakuthon, Otakon, CN Anime, Youmacon, DTAC maybe more...
Amy the Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #13
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

there "thousands in stock" so its better to be safe and not waste money on something you cant wear.
avskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:07 AM   #14
Natchan
Dare to Live

I think you should wait, just to be safe... thats what I'm doing.
Natchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:21 AM   #15
kyandi-chan
Magical Girl K

yaaah im having the same problem. i wanna get fit and into shape, so i cant start the costume that i have to have done by march. in fact, there are two of them! its very critical that i have lost the wait, otherwise, i'll end up wasting my time on such intricate cosplays...

and that would make me sad. waiting is good! or do something that you can easily alter without going insane from redoing it
kyandi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote