Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Closed Thread
Unread 02-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #31
MeliCat
( ̄へ&

Geez, who needs enemies with friends like that! Cosplay whomever you choose, and don't worry about what anyone says, cosplay isn't about that ^_^

★Next:
Prince Soma 「Kuroshitsuji 」
Yoruichi 「Bleach 」
Fran 「FF 12 」

Unread 02-03-2005, 11:22 PM   #32
Serria
tea-drinker

Not cosplay because you're overweight? That's ridiculous. We're not 'modeling' or trying to look perfect - we're just out to have fun.

Absolutely cosplay. Weight has nothing to do with it. Best of luck and have fun. =)
Unread 02-03-2005, 11:26 PM   #33
Miyu
Laurasaur!

ok, i'm going to kind of divert from the norm here for a moment.

wear something flattering. be courteous of others. if you are overweight then you obviously know what looks nice on you and what doesn't. there was a short period of time in my life where i was a bit chubby myself... and i wouldn't have been caught dead in a bikini, a super-short skirt, or in spandex. you see what i'm saying? just generally don't show more than you should. i have a friend who is a plus size model. she's gorgeous, and she wears very flattering clothing. her weight is not the issue, as long as she knows what looks good on her. i think the same principle is applicable in this situation as well.

edit:

also, maybe you should sit down and have a heart-to-heart with your friends. a lot of the feedback i'm seeing here is very negative towards their supposed opinions. perhaps they are just trying to protect you? maybe they're looking out for you? maybe they don't want you to end up feeling embarassed if someone at a con says something mean to you about the costume that you wear there? in my opinion, the people on this thread are being very harsh on your friends although they don't even know them. it could be that your friends are just trying to look out for you, and they are doing it in a way that could be.. expressed more positively. sometimes our friends try to do something good, but it just comes out all wrong.

Last edited by Miyu : 02-03-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Unread 02-03-2005, 11:28 PM   #34
Angel Tifa
Survivor of Horror 4-ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoriesofYuna
Theres quiite a few threads like this.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no!

do NOT listen to that! if you want to cosplay then do so and dont let little issues like Wight bring you down. i mean im 5'0-5'1" and i Weight about 115 and even though that's not the most for my tiny little body structure all the fat in my body acumulates in my stomach. i cosplay either way. I also have the crappyest self esteme ever and i will not let anyone tell me i cant cosplay just becuase i am shaped like i am and you shouldnt either. -Aseret Yuna

I'm like 5'3/12" and about 157 lbs. and I still go for the character I want to cosplay as. I want to do Faye Valentine someday and I have a bigger stomach. I don't let my weight stand in my way .
Unread 02-03-2005, 11:28 PM   #35
DarkDragonfly
Currently:In love

Yea I see what your saying
I have great legs my main problem is my tummy
And its not all fat its good amount of muscle aswell I work with horses and on farms so that helps

My deviantness

My stockness
Unread 02-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #36
Angel Tifa
Survivor of Horror 4-ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDragonfly
Yea I see what your saying
I have great legs my main problem is my tummy
And its not all fat its good amount of muscle aswell I work with horses and on farms so that helps
Some of mine is also muscle that need's some major working out.
Unread 02-03-2005, 11:50 PM   #37
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

My legs are all muscle, but my stomach is all flab. =P

It's very important to wear something flattering, as well as wear good support underneath your costume. By flattering, I don't mean big and baggy. You can wear clothing that's snug-fitting around area's you're happy with. One of my favorite tops is lycra/spandex (stretchy stuff) and it's snug fitting around my bustline, but it's also long and accentuates my curves. It's also not very tight across the stomach either... just enough for it to look nice. ^_^

You can pretty much wear most costumes if you make a few alterations to them. By lengthening hemlines, using thicker fabric, and wearing good support underneath, you can do a lot. It takes time and practice to figure out what works on you. So don't expect to pump out something gorgeous at first. My first costumes looked horrible on me, but I didn't have this knowledge at the time!

Also, I'm really impressed by your story. I can't believe your ex wanted you to loose that much weight. That's horrible. The weight you said you were at before those issues sounds about what you should weigh for 5'4". He was horrible for making you loose that much. It's great that you have a really supportive boyfriend now who stresses being healthy instead of skinny.
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:01 AM   #38
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Quote:
all of them have told me I shouldnt go until I get skinny (xD Im 5'4" and weigh 190 pounds) I was wondering if this is true?
No, it's not true. Your "friends" are spouting nonsense if they say that. Go, cosplay, and have fun. ^^
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #39
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
I have been mentioning to a few of my friends that cosplay and go to cons that I plan on going to one in the near future and all of them have told me I shouldnt go until I get skinny (xD Im 5'4" and weigh 190 pounds) I was wondering if this is true?
The last thing I want to do is show up and be yelled at for being large I have enough self esteem issues as it is
any feed back would be helpful
Total Nonsense!!!

There is no specific weight you have to be to attend conventions or cosplay. Take it from me, and I weigh quite a bit more than you and have a fantastic time costuming/cosplaying.

DO NOT LET OTHERS HOLD YOU BACK. I made that mistake for several years when I was younger and I regret missing those fun times.

GO. Have fun. Be Proud of who you are
!

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:16 AM   #40
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

Wear what fits and is comfortable; people need to stop dictating what good or bad, as long as nothing exposed then its find. People are more then just clothes. Friends shouldnít be hassling over clothes other people are wearing; they canít be shallow about the clothes that your wear.

Kaijugal right don't let them hold you back, it not your responsibility to be sad for others.
Unread 02-04-2005, 12:36 AM   #41
Suguishi
Nyo~

Message to plus size cosplayers...

In the costume making world, no matter if you're plus size or whatever,carftmanship is the most important. In a masquerade (the ones where they KNOW what they're doing instead of guessing, like many low low lowLOW quality masquerades) contest, your costuming skills is what will win you the contest, it has NOTHING to do with your weight.

Also, cosplay is all about having fun. Go out there and show them what you're made of ^_^ A LOT of peopel thinks man-faye is sexy ne?? ^_~

If you really do feel that you cannot cosplay because you're plus size, remember, with a will, anything is possible. I purposely loose weight because I want to do a more convincing cosplay (trying to look like a character). I lost 40+ lbs ^_~ DDR, salad, and water for 4 months. It's all in your mind. Remeber, a strong Will matters the world to WHATEVER you do.

I'm not a particularly good cosplayer or anything, but I do know that I LOVE what I do, and if it takes people 30% to do what they do, I don't care if I will have to do 120% more... if I can level or be better, or even worse, but if I'm satisfied... I consider myself a winner.
Unread 02-04-2005, 01:17 AM   #42
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

People who have the confidence to break social misgiving rules have my respect way more then pretty people. If you like what youíre doing and youíre not harming other then keep doing it.
Unread 02-04-2005, 01:30 AM   #43
kynthiamoon
fool!

Ok I have some 'dissenting' factors here. Be prepared to get a little flack about being +sized at a con. Sadly it happens. Don't make that change your mind though, there isn't ANY reason you shouldn't cosplay. I'm a pretty hefty girl myself (just look at my gallery) and I love to cosplay. All I am saying is that while you will get a lot of good comments about cosplaying, there's always going to be a few people at a con complaining about your weight. It happens. Just don't let that bother you as obviously, they aren't worth it. *Is still trying to take own advice* I just don't want you going in thinking everything's going to be perfect, then get crushed by that one dumb person who thinks it's even thier problem what you weigh.

As for your friends, They are either afraid of something hurting you like that one dumb person, or they aren't very nice themselves. Since you said they say things like that all the time it's leading me to think the latter, and that they aren't happy with themselves, using you as a distractng scape goat. Kudos on your boy though. ^_^ Healthy is good, thin isn't always.
Unread 02-04-2005, 02:46 AM   #44
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

Friends who are ashamed of their own friends are not good friends. Anyways there nothing wrong with different kinds of body types. Itís the person's personality that important, its easy to hang around people with good personailtys.
Unread 02-04-2005, 05:24 AM   #45
janmurphy
Casts revive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
Totally not true. Many of my friends (and myself included) are plus-sized, and we all cosplay.

However, as plus-size people, we face more challenges making our costumes look good and suit our body. Think about the costume and think about what works with the shape you are, and make adjustments. It's not a crime, and if you look better in it (even if it's not 100% accurate to a *2D* figure), you'll feel better about it. There are a few threads for the larger-sized figure. Just search the forums a bit, and you'll find them.

I agree, its really hard as a plus sized person to get the costume to look correct proportionally. I know cosplay is for fun and it's great to be involved in, but honestly, my size if a factor when I choose my costume. I have to be more selective when deciding which costume I can make well AND wear well. I wont just say, 'oh that's my favorite character, thus Ill cosplay that." I have to consider if I can make it look right on me just as much as I would consider if I have the skills to make it. To me accuracy in a costume is key and I want shape accuracy as much as style accuracy, it's hard to do, and I sometimes fail. I have lots of favorite characters though, lots of favorite outfits (from characters I donít even know but just love the design) lots of costumes to choose from. I donít feel hindered by my weight but I DO have to remind my self that I simply won't look good in certain things because of it.

Sometimes this doesnít kick in though. Sometimes you see a costume or character design and you just *die* of wanting to create THAT. Thatís not something you should brush aside on account of weight, thatís the kind of obsessed feeling artists need to make great things, work with that. Its a great feeling. The idea I have is to make that costume work with who I am, instead of going for accuracy. Its a different kind of costume for me, and it doesn't happen too often.

For some reason unknown to me some people actually get angry at me for this. They say I should do whatever character I want, never realizing that I DO the characters I want, just not all of them. And donít get me wrong, Iím not saying other people cant do whatever costume their heart desires, Iím not them I donít make their decisions. But I am saying that whatever costume you do you should be aware of how it looks on you, no matter what your size, big or small and there are lots of costumes out there. The canvas you start with is just as important to the final look of the piece as is the paint but most important is the spirit to do it!

Clothing&plushie patterns, Hidden Village diplomas, book covers, iron-ons,
temp tattoos, paper animals, character book scans, e-cards, and a lot more.
[/center]
Closed Thread