Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #631
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizuCheese View Post
Please don't give out-dated information. Pinky Paradise announced like a week ago that they decided it was too much trouble to adhere to the US laws regarding asking for a prescription and checking with your eye doctor so they decided to just discontinue shipping to the US entirely. People were even talking about it earlier in this thread.
My apologies, I had ordered from them in December just before they decided to "verify" everything and my parcel sat in "Germany" for 3 weeks before shipping out so I was pretty mad and that was the last time I visited the site. I didn't read all the previous posts, so Pinky Paradise is out for US residents, got it. My bad.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Mikazuki Munechika - Touken Ranbu | D.VA - Overwatch | Jadis - Chronicles of Narnia
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #632
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofAngels48 View Post
Thank you!

Edit: what are everyone's favorite lens brands?
Most comfortable w/ good color payoff: iFairy, EOS, G&G/Dueba, i-Codi, ICK, or Freshlook. I look for lenses with at least 45% water content.

A bit less comfortable, but amazing color payoff: Color Max or Dolly Eye (insert color name). 38% water content.

Least favorite brand: Geo. They are very comfortable to wear but colors don't show up very well on dark eyes unless someone is shooting a closeup photo in high-def or the person is literally 2 feet away from you.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Mikazuki Munechika - Touken Ranbu | D.VA - Overwatch | Jadis - Chronicles of Narnia
Unread 02-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #633
ShizuCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
My apologies, I had ordered from them in December just before they decided to "verify" everything and my parcel sat in "Germany" for 3 weeks before shipping out so I was pretty mad and that was the last time I visited the site. I didn't read all the previous posts, so Pinky Paradise is out for US residents, got it. My bad.
It's fine.

The disturbing thing is somebody called them out on FB about the fact that their decision made it seem like they didn't care about the safety of their customers and they responded with the same copy and paste response they were giving everybody, which didn't address that person's concerns at all. Makes me not wanna order from them even if they *do* ever start selling in the US again.
ShizuCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2017, 12:06 AM   #634
cosmeticlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizuCheese View Post
Please don't give out-dated information. Pinky Paradise announced like a week ago that they decided it was too much trouble to adhere to the US laws regarding asking for a prescription and checking with your eye doctor so they decided to just discontinue shipping to the US entirely. People were even talking about it earlier in this thread.

So they will never sell in US again ?
cosmeticlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2017, 05:08 AM   #635
ShizuCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmeticlover View Post
So they will never sell in US again ?
I don't think there's any way of knowing that for sure, but I wouldn't like....plan on it. They called the US laws (ie: them having to require a prescription to order from customers and call their eye doctors to confirm it) "too strict."
ShizuCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #636
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Glad I dodged a bullet on the PinkyParadise issue, living in Canada. Got my lenses (well, except one out-of-stock pair, but I might not even wear that cosplay this year) for this year during their Valentines sale and since I don't trust global mail anymore, I got them in a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofAngels48 View Post
Edit: what are everyone's favorite lens brands?
G&G GBT series, for me. Colours are really nice but without an enlarging effect (most cosplays I do, I prefer to match the eye colour but they don't need crazy huge anime eyes), and they are SUPER comfortable. I have extremely sensitive eyes (I'm lucky if I can go through most of a con day without having to take a break from my contacts if I wear typical circle lenses) and except for one defective pair once, these never give me trouble. Even right up to their expiry (Website says one year, normally I need to toss my lenses after 6-8 months since my eyes can't take any older, but they were still pretty comfy!) Lots of colours, too, I've bought green, sky blue, aqua blue and purple so far. AND not that pricey! Most of PP's lenses are close to $30, these are about $20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #637
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

I'm trying to figure out where I can get contacts with a custom design made - I've noticed that in the past year the online contact scene has changed dramatically than from what I remember it being!
My google results aren't getting me what I need, so I'm wondering - does anyone online make lenses if you give them an image to replicate?

If not, let me know what particular contact lens design might match this image best:

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Braig - Kingdom Hearts | Sheik - LoZ (Brawl version)
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts
InkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 03:59 AM   #638
cosmeticlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkRaven View Post
I'm trying to figure out where I can get contacts with a custom design made - I've noticed that in the past year the online contact scene has changed dramatically than from what I remember it being!
My google results aren't getting me what I need, so I'm wondering - does anyone online make lenses if you give them an image to replicate?

If not, let me know what particular contact lens design might match this image best:

It doesn't exist and I do not see anything that changed in contact lens scene.
cosmeticlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 04:59 AM   #639
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

a workaround to lenses, is to make prosthetic eyes that you wear
by closing your eyes placing the prosthetic and gently squeezing to hold them in
for photos or posing

for safety always have a friend/handler for anything that impairs vision
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #640
Ion
イオン

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkRaven View Post

There are a few custom places that will sell to consumers and not just film/theater industry professionals, but they often have to be contacted through your eye care professional. Example: http://www.techcolors.com/ says they do custom designs as does http://www.samhaincontactlenses.com/ but custom also means "custom prices" so I would only bother with this route if your pockets are deep for both the lenses and all the appointments required. That said, this method will give you exactly what you dream up. FYI, there are a lot of google hits for the search terms custom hand-painted contact lenses, so you may want to give those search words a try.

The "closest" lens that isn't custom made would probably be something that falls under the "terminator" or "robot" description. The designs are a bit more intricate than your image, but will get the "cyborg" look across very clearly and are far below "custom pricing".
Example terminator lens: https://www.aclens.com/contacts/599/...contact-lenses

Depending on what you're doing, eyes don't always show up very well in photos except closeups/head shots anyway so if you are intending to use them for photos, post processing would be the best way to get that exact design without spending massive amounts of money.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 05-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #641
Kat_A

I've always bought mine from HoneyColor. They have lots of different colors, and I've always bought pairs that weren't super expensive and have always been impressed. Plus they have sales and special offers all the time!
Kat_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #642
Emi Hana
Kimono - Kimono - Kimono

Alright, I have a question. I'm starting a Kitsune Cosplay with a Yukata and a Fox Tail, but contacts would be a good start. The problem is - besides the fact that I need to go to my eye doctor and have them administer the contact lens exam, is that I have a really thick prescription. Added to that, I just found out from my eye doctors that both my eyes are shaped differently. In fact, the glasses I'm wearing right now have lenses that are mismatched. Meaning 1 eye has 1 prescription and the other eye has a different prescription.

Now, from what I hear, 2 different shaped eyes aren't that uncommon, but what concerns me is - if I pass the contact lens exam - will I have to buy 2 pairs of the same color contact? Or if I should skip contacts altogether...
Unread 08-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #643
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi Hana View Post
Alright, I have a question. I'm starting a Kitsune Cosplay with a Yukata and a Fox Tail, but contacts would be a good start. The problem is - besides the fact that I need to go to my eye doctor and have them administer the contact lens exam, is that I have a really thick prescription. Added to that, I just found out from my eye doctors that both my eyes are shaped differently. In fact, the glasses I'm wearing right now have lenses that are mismatched. Meaning 1 eye has 1 prescription and the other eye has a different prescription.

Now, from what I hear, 2 different shaped eyes aren't that uncommon, but what concerns me is - if I pass the contact lens exam - will I have to buy 2 pairs of the same color contact? Or if I should skip contacts altogether...
If it's just the strength that's different (not, for example, one eye with astigmatism and one just myopic, or each eye has a totally different base curve) most sites will let you order the needed power separately to each eye (PinkyParadise, for example, has the drop-down fields of Left Eye and Right Eye and you select your strength for each). If it's indeed an eye shape problem and it won't fit on both eyes, you're a little more out of luck. Best to ask your eye doctor on what you can do for that one as it can be for a lot of reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote