Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
CarolBear
CarolBear

Taking care of contacts

Hey,

I was wondering (since I'm a beginner with lenses) how often you should change the solution/clean the lenses when you're not actively wearing them? By changing the solution, I don't mean the bottle, I mean changing the old solution with the new one in the cases when cleaning your contacts

Thank you! And any other advice on the lenses would be greatly appreciated!
CarolBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Sugar.Code
D'Arvit!

If you're not wearing them? Every other week works fine, but change the case as well, not just the solution. I pick one day a week to change solution and wash cases, it helps to have a set schedule so you don't accidentally forget.
I store mine in a multi-purpose solution and rinse them with saline solution before I wear them, seems to work better than just storing them in saline.
Uh, I think there's not too much else to say other than keep everything clean, always check to make sure they're not inside out before you put them on (ow), and never sleep in them, anything else you need to know?

F! Ardyn Izunia - Final Fantasy XV - Done!

Logix Fiscario - Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

Escha Malier - Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
Sugar.Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I try to do twice a week with some store-brand all-purpose solution, minimum once a week, and every 3-4 months (depends how often I've worn them) I change out the lens case for a fresh one (For the adorable animal cases you get online, since I always want to have them forever, I've been fine with giving them a quick boil to clean and re-sterilize them, but don't do it more than once). I have very sensitive eyes, so any less than that and my lenses are unwearably uncomfortable after about four months. With the above, I get six months to the full year out of most pairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
CarolBear
CarolBear

Sugar.Code - Yeah, by not wearing them because I feel like if you were to wear them like every day or every other day then you would automatically be changing the solution and cleaning them before you wear them and take them out, but I won't be wearing them that often. And oh, I didn't know I needed to change the case as well! And okay thank you! I'll make sure to set a scheduled timed to take care of them then, that's probably the smartest thing to do . And uhh maybe one more question, how long do you personally find you can wear your lenses for? Cause I know you're not supposed to wear them for more than 8 hours or something, but what if I am unable to take them out in time and all that? Have you experienced that? Does it really bother your eyes if you keep them in for longer?
Unread 05-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
CarolBear
CarolBear

ShinobiXikyu - thanks! I wasn't sure how often to change the case now that I found out that I actually need to. So once you've reached the limit with the case then you need to throw it out for a new one? Could I keep the old one and sterilize it like you said then when the other case reaches it's limit, change it back for the original one since it'll have been cleaned? Although you said you don't do it more than once so maybe not?
Unread 05-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Sugar.Code
D'Arvit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolBear View Post
Sugar.Code - Yeah, by not wearing them because I feel like if you were to wear them like every day or every other day then you would automatically be changing the solution and cleaning them before you wear them and take them out, but I won't be wearing them that often. And oh, I didn't know I needed to change the case as well! And okay thank you! I'll make sure to set a scheduled timed to take care of them then, that's probably the smartest thing to do . And uhh maybe one more question, how long do you personally find you can wear your lenses for? Cause I know you're not supposed to wear them for more than 8 hours or something, but what if I am unable to take them out in time and all that? Have you experienced that? Does it really bother your eyes if you keep them in for longer?
Um, it can depend on the day, if I woke up with dry eyes I need eye drops before I can wear contacts (of any kind, not just colored lenses), but once they're in I can wear them up to 14 hours, though they'll be a little dry after 12?
Disclaimer: I really don't suggest doing that though, and I don't do that very often, but if I do end up wearing them for that long I'll usually wear glasses the next day to give my eyes a break.
It doesn't bother me to wear them for that long, but I'm kinda used to it after, idk, 13 years? 8 hours isn't really a hard limit, just listen to your eyes and take the contacts out if they're uncomfortable. I'd suggest carrying eyedrops and also taking the contact case with you to the con, just in case you can't drop by your hotel room and take them out.

F! Ardyn Izunia - Final Fantasy XV - Done!

Logix Fiscario - Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

Escha Malier - Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
Sugar.Code is offline   Reply With Quote