Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 05-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Chibik3r0
Pants Pants Revolution
 
Chibik3r0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 899
Dotcon - New Toronto Convention?

I kept seeing banners/ads in the dealer's room at Anime North for a new Toronto convention in November. Does anyone have any more information regarding it? Searching the forums, I can only find one thread about some movie screening before MTAC. Thanks!
__________________
2013 Planned Conventions

Anime North :: Colossal Con :: SDCC
Chibik3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
uchihahime
*fangirls*
 
uchihahime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 426
The website is dot-con.com - I was just checking it out, cuz I'm kind of interested. I think it's going to be a small convention, though.
uchihahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Crunchbite
Kita-Kon Chairman
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26
Too many conventions starting to pop up down south. Its going to be over-saturated soon.
__________________
Planned Conventions


Crunchbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Suga Babe
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Yes, the website for DotCon is: http://www.dot-con.com/

The three layouts on the website all have the same information, but each layout is for each mascot. We have three mascots -- Uzumaki [left], Maruko [middle] and Dot [right].

It is going to be a small convention, at the Holiday Inn on King, because this will be our first time doing it -- but we've all been going to Cons for a very long time...so we're taking our experiences and putting them into this Con.

And actually, there aren't many Cons here in Toronto. The only real anime convention in Toronto is Anime North.

Anyways, we'll have more info up about the special events as soon as we're able! There will also be a forum up pretty soon!

Lastly, if you're fans of Chris Patton, Cherami Leigh and/or Caitlin Glass -- they're coming to DotCon!

We hope to see you all at the first DotCon convention!
Suga Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
spector
Registered User
 
spector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 198
The dot-con convention is slated for November, in Toronto and while it might seem like it will be a small con right now, it will largely depend on interest and attendance. All Cons start somewhere and usually start small and get bigger as their reputation and general interest increases. If you are interested in this event, then talk to others about it, get the word out and build up interest...which is always a hard thing to do with an event that is 6 months away.
I know some of the people working on putting this 2 day con on and I know that they are working hard trying to arrange for quality guests and programing...so partly the rest is up to you...I know I'm going to be there. Cheers.
spector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets
 
EgnirysFaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,030
Dotcon eh? Cute name (Though it doesn't really..stick out much)

It will be too far for me to commute over just for a small con, but maybe in the future if it's good. I'm having a hard time with the site though, but not sure if it's just me?
__________________
Next Con:
TBA


Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
Kia
Queen of Tacky Costumes
 
Kia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchbite View Post
Too many conventions starting to pop up down south. Its going to be over-saturated soon.
Soon? Ha, the convention scene in the GTA has been over saturated for years. (It's actually kind of funny to hear this now, since I remember having big discussions on this forum about how over saturated everything was getting a couple of years ago). Since 2004 we've gone from just having Anime North and CNAnime (now Fan Expo) to having December/March Toronto Anime Con (which was in November the first time it ran), Northern Anime Festival, and for a short period of time GCAF and ConNoBaka. Around 2005/2006 it felt like at least a half dozen new cons popped up out of nowhere, and almost just as many people were proposing starting new cons, or fishing around for information about how they could do so themselves. Now *that* was oversaturated.

Granted, not all of them have survived the test of time (some have even crashed and burned in such a way that I don't think any of us who experienced it will ever forget), but I'm unsure if it was because of poor management from the convention heads, lack of interest/promotion in an already over saturated market, or (more likely) a combination of the two.

But anyway, I remember seeing a banner for Don-Con, but I didn't really have the headspace to connect it with actually being a convention. I'm interested to see how it turns out though, since November is one of those months with it's pros and cons. It's a slow time of year convention wise, but it's also in the middle of midterms for university students, and before the money crunch of Christmas. It also appears to be backed by One Million Comix, which I find rather interesting (but in more of an "Oh, that's cool" kind of sense).

I'll probably mark it down in my calendar. Not sure if I'll go yet, since there isn't any information about events within the con available yet, so there's no way of telling if it's just another glorified Hobbystar TAC with just a dealer's room and some sad attempt at programming. ^_^
__________________
[Heartplace Designs (My Jewelry)]
[My Livejournal]

[Kia's 2012 Convention Season:]
[Con-G - Ad Astra 31 - Anime North - Polaris 26]

[Planned costumes for 2012:]
[NEW: Suki/Lily/Mime]
[TO FINISH: Sakura/Ayumi
]
Kia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
kikyo82
 
Posts: n/a
I went to that site and I didn't see a date for it. When is it?

Edit: I eventually saw the date but it went by really fast, it's kinda hard to look for it.

Last edited by kikyo82 : 05-27-2008 at 12:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Suga Babe
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia View Post
I'll probably mark it down in my calendar. Not sure if I'll go yet, since there isn't any information about events within the con available yet, so there's no way of telling if it's just another glorified Hobbystar TAC with just a dealer's room and some sad attempt at programming. ^_^
ha, no. It's not another Hobbystar TAC event. We're working on programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikyo82 View Post
I went to that site and I didn't see a date for it. When is it?

Edit: I eventually saw the date but it went by really fast, it's kinda hard to look for it.
It's November 15-16, 2008. I have a countdown up on each layout and on the main index page -- but I'll put up 'Nov 15-16' there as well.
Suga Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
kikyo82
 
Posts: n/a
@Suga Babe: Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Suga Babe
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikyo82 View Post
@Suga Babe: Thanks!
No problem!

I added the date to the index page and all the layouts -- so it should be easier to find now!

Sorry for the inconvenience earlier.
Suga Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
DJ_Izumi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 441
We had the following conversation when we saw the con's table at Anime North.

"New convention in Toronto?"
"Seems so."
"C Dot Con?"
"I think it's Dot C Con."
"Maybe it's Dotcon?"
"But there's two C's in the graphic."
"But it's just 'Dot-con' in their web address."
"...Let's go look at something with a less confusing logo."
"Okay."

Personally, I think 'Dot Con' is a pretty bad name for a convention. Well, no, 'Con No Baka' had people going 'Stupid con?' and that was really bad. But 'Dot Con' is just sooooooo generic. I can enter 'Anime North', 'AC Cubed' or 'CNAnime' into google and get their respective sites on the first hit. 'Dot Con', 'Dot-Con' or 'Dotcon' don't get you anything relevent on the first PAGE of Google even. The name is just so notspecial, so used for so many other things and it's not even really something that'll stick in your head.

I'm not wishing ill will for the convention at all, it's just that you have a problem with your name when someone tries to Google your con's website and the first thing google says is: Did you mean: Totcon?
__________________
<DJ_Izumi> The apparent prevalence of gender dysphoria and even some gender identity disorder on Cosplay.coms crossplay forum disturbs me.
<Kate6> Really?
<DJ_Izumi> It's like a transsexual spawning pool. O_o
<Kate6> Then why do you go there?
<DJ_Izumi> Same reason people stare at train wrecks. o.o;

Last edited by DJ_Izumi : 05-28-2008 at 01:53 AM.
DJ_Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
Crunchbite
Kita-Kon Chairman
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia View Post
Soon? Ha, the convention scene in the GTA has been over saturated for years. (It's actually kind of funny to hear this now, since I remember having big discussions on this forum about how over saturated everything was getting a couple of years ago). Since 2004 we've gone from just having Anime North and CNAnime (now Fan Expo) to having December/March Toronto Anime Con (which was in November the first time it ran), Northern Anime Festival, and for a short period of time GCAF and ConNoBaka. Around 2005/2006 it felt like at least a half dozen new cons popped up out of nowhere, and almost just as many people were proposing starting new cons, or fishing around for information about how they could do so themselves. Now *that* was oversaturated.
The first time i have said that the GTA was getting over-saturated was about 3-4 years ago after i found out about Northern Anime Festival. Although it's doing fine as a small convention and there is always room for a couple small events in an area like the GTA. But now this is getting sad. I think you guys are up to about 6-7 Anime related conventions a year.
__________________
Planned Conventions


Crunchbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #14
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness
 
KittyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Izumi View Post
Personally, I think 'Dot Con' is a pretty bad name for a convention. Well, no, 'Con No Baka' had people going 'Stupid con?' and that was really bad. But 'Dot Con' is just sooooooo generic. I can enter 'Anime North', 'AC Cubed' or 'CNAnime' into google and get their respective sites on the first hit. 'Dot Con', 'Dot-Con' or 'Dotcon' don't get you anything relevent on the first PAGE of Google even. The name is just so notspecial, so used for so many other things and it's not even really something that'll stick in your head.

I'm not wishing ill will for the convention at all, it's just that you have a problem with your name when someone tries to Google your con's website and the first thing google says is: Did you mean: Totcon?
Personally, I think DotCon is a really cute name for a convention held in the "T-Dot". ^_~ (not that I think T-Dot is a good abbreviation for Toronto, but DotCon is still cute).

The website is brand new, so it won't even be in Google yet. Anime North and CN Anime have had years to get a gook rank in Google, so you can't hold that against them just yet.
No new website is going to come up on the first page of Google it's been indexed and people start to link to it.

That said, I think their website looks really.... geared toward the 13/14 year old crowd and unprofessional, what with the 3 different layouts (before even finishing all the information and pages), and using multiple different things in the various layouts (popups, iframes, huge spacing in the browser title bar, dozens of images that have to load before you can read the pages, what?) that just look like someone was having fun playing with the code. I get that it's brand new, and that designing websites is fun, but it makes it more difficult to get any information about the con itself.
__________________
Gearing up for Con-G: February 22-24, 2013 in Guelph, Ontario!!
Greatest Con-G video of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FHIm-zJZfg

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
Ryocha
Mecha Monkee
 
Ryocha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,555
Around November this year, eh?
Well, I'm somehow glad that AC3 is on hiatus for a year, granted that means there's two competing cons around next November then. >>
__________________
Upcoming Cosplay
Stuff for the future, and beyond.
  • Karkat Vantas (Threshecutioner uniform) - Hemostuck AU
  • Noriko Takaya - Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
  • Third Doctor - Doctor Who
Ryocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Copyright 2002-2018 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.