Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 12-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #16
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky_theNerd View Post
At the admin(s): all of this sounds like good stuff. Thanks for answering our questions, and reading our feedback. I'm pleasantly surprised there are some changes being made to the site. Also, a follow-up question about condensing the forums. Will the old forums and threads be preserved; i.e., uploaded to an archive like the WaybackMachine, or just moved into the condensed pages; or will there be, like, a whole new forums? A blank slate, if you will? I'm curious about that because some of those old posts are really useful and just plain fun to look at.
The old forums will be archived as read-only, but will still be accessible from the same URL's. The new forums are a completely new codebase designed to be simpler and 100% mobile-friendly. I've also added some media embedding functionality, like the ability to add videos to posts. This can further be turned on/off in your viewing preferences (e.g. show YouTube as embedded vs show YouTube as links).

The new forums are also completely modular, so a thread module can be coupled to any "section" on the site. For example, posting about an event is actually like posting a thread into the event itself, not a sub-forum. This is how we will be able to have an automatic forum for each new event added. It also gives us the ability to add other things in the future like usergroups with an automatic forum attached. In simplified terms, all I need to do is create a usergroup module and set something like allow_topics = yes.

Quote:
P.S. I'm sorry if my question offended any of you. Looking back at it, it sounds kind of mean as opposed to simply curious.
Not at all. I understand the frustration a lot of people feel. As mentioned in another thread, I plan to write up some thoughts over the coming days to explain a bit about what went/is going on. I'll also release some screenshots once I get the final stylesheets in hand and start converting the new site over to the final format.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky_theNerd View Post
At the admin(s): all of this sounds like good stuff. Thanks for answering our questions, and reading our feedback. I'm pleasantly surprised there are some changes being made to the site. Also, a follow-up question about condensing the forums. Will the old forums and threads be preserved; i.e., uploaded to an archive like the WaybackMachine, or just moved into the condensed pages; or will there be, like, a whole new forums? A blank slate, if you will? I'm curious about that because some of those old posts are really useful and just plain fun to look at.

P.S. I'm sorry if my question offended any of you. Looking back at it, it sounds kind of mean as opposed to simply curious.
Naw, it's all good. I know a lot of people are waiting for an upgrade; because maybe that'll help with rejuvenating the site a little so people will come back, hence more activity. It's just that this thread wasn't really for that discussion, but as I said it can be brought up since it is true a lot of people leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
This can happen sometimes depending on the camera/photo software used. For example - say you take a photo in portrait mode, and then upload it to the site without any edits. With certain cameras, the photo is still a regular landscape mode image and the site doesn't do any calculations to see if it should be flipped or not. Typically if you first load it into a program like photoshop and "save for web" then it will fix the issue.
Ah, I see. Well I uploaded some of my photos from different sources, one time from my phone then an iPod. I only had to resize the photo from my phone on the computer because it was a large file, then with the iPod I can upload directly but photos got flipped.

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Trickstar Sweet Devil, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]
Trickstar Band Sweet Guitar, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / Twitter

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 12-24-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #18
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
This can happen sometimes depending on the camera/photo software used. For example - say you take a photo in portrait mode, and then upload it to the site without any edits. With certain cameras, the photo is still a regular landscape mode image and the site doesn't do any calculations to see if it should be flipped or not. Typically if you first load it into a program like photoshop and "save for web" then it will fix the issue.
So will maximum size for the photos increase or stay the same? Or will it resize the photos automatically? I take all my photos with my phone and I always have to resize them manually in Photoshop because they're way too big for the site.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2017, 02:40 AM   #19
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
So will maximum size for the photos increase or stay the same? Or will it resize the photos automatically? I take all my photos with my phone and I always have to resize them manually in Photoshop because they're way too big for the site.
I'm still deciding on the final way of doing it, but the file size is increasing, yes. Right now I'm at least planning to increase the upload size to 2MB per photo. I can raise it higher, but I need to take a serious look at per-account limits, otherwise the hosting costs can spiral out of control.
Unread 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #20
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

I've posted the first preview in the Site Help forum here:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=367841