Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
katanasunrise
rusi

Question safe white face paint?

i'm sorry if this is kind of obvious, but aside from making your own facepaint, where could i go to buy some that won't ruin my skin? aside from causing breakouts or something similar. would a halloween store be ideal? or is there a certain brand i should get?

thanks.
katanasunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
ImpossibleGirl

It is largely a matter of what your skin likes. For my own use I have found clown white holds up the best in heat without getting streaky, there is a version called clown white lite- I think it is Mehron, but it could also be Ben Nye. It sets really well with white powder (get the opaque white, not the neutral set) and a bit of hairspray (I find it works better and is way cheaper than Final Seal). My skin is very calm with it, and my skin freaks out very easily.

If you don't need something as heavy duty, Paradise aquacake is very light on the skin. It is also by Mehron. You apply it with a wet sponge and it dries to a powder like finish. In my experience it isn't quite as opaque as the clown white, and there is a bit of a learning curve to applying cake foundation.

There are also cream foundations, regular pancake, etc. If you can get your hands on real kabuki foundation that stuff doesn't budge, but it is very expensive and far more difficult to apply, you have to seal your skin first and it takes forever.

There is also white mineral makeup, which is very gentle on the skin, but I find mineral makeup doesn't photograph well.
ImpossibleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
anuenue_mirage
Minarai-chan

Corpse Paint by Portland Black Lipstick Company works well and has good ingredients. It comes out pretty opaque, I'd recommend using your fingers to apply since your body heat should help soften it (it's more or less solid) and then blend out and seal it with a sheer powder. Don't skip the powder, without it the makeup will move easily, with it it should last.
TARDIS (Doctor Who)

Up for consideration:
Kimono version of Elsa's ice dress (Frozen)
The 'Patchwork' girl from "Beautiful People" by Mitsukazu Mihara
Pre-bite Ginger Fitzgerald (Ginger Snaps)
anuenue_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
katanasunrise
rusi

thank you for the suggestions! i will definitely take them into consideration.
katanasunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Sweet Loretta

I'd stick to straight "face paint" meaning look at water activated cake makeups like Kryolan Aquacolor, or Mehron's Paradise. Cream makeups and Pan Sticks do need to be set with powder and while all run price wise about the same, the creams can tens to feel oily for some and assist in breakouts.

Both Kryolan and Paradise are gentle on the skin. Kryolan is ECARF certified. The ECARF Quality Seal is awarded to allergy-friendly products and services. And Paradsie is made in the USA with green tea and aloe, to be skin friendly.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
iChakram

Snazaroo is water based, and I've had good luck with it so far since it easily comes off and doesn't make me break out.
iChakram is offline   Reply With Quote