Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 04-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #91
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
Something You Like: Anime, manga, Visual novels, fiction books, JRPGs, MMORPGs, etc.

Direction You're Headed In: Nowhere fast; I'm going to be a retail slave forever. Despite an incredibly low FAFSA EFC of $1309 nobody wants to give me enough aid to meet that number because "we can't just let you go to college for free". That's not free, especially when you consider that around $10,500 of the package I was offered was in loans which is a financial BURDEN, not aid. How they expect me to pay over $10,000 out of pocket (double that when factoring the loans in) with an EFC of barely over a thousand is beyond me.

Pet Peeve: My sister. You literally can't save leftovers in this house because she'll eat your food then lie about it. She's got a personal vendetta against me for "making her look bad" simply because I do my chores and get good grades while she doesn't. And nobody ever punishes her because she's the baby of the family.

Engagements/Things that currently have your time: Games mentioned above in the interest section, as well as mafia/werewolf, and trying to finish up my Suzu cosplay before anime Midwest. And being depressed about college, of course. Otherwise I don't have much of a life as work eats it all up.

Little known fact: I actually hate soda, gum, and most hard candies because I don't think they taste good. I prefer sweets like cake, brownies, and cookies. No pie though, that also tastes yucky.

Wild Card: I actually played Yugioh for years, quitting shortly after the performapal format. HAT format was by far my favorite, and I'm more than willing to play some matches of that if you want.
Going through stuff of my own but I can relate of all of this. For the school thing, me and my friend both feel the same way. There's no point in killing yourself over an assignment that's only relevant in the moment and not even going to be looked at again in 5 years. Isn't it a little strange that you have pay for something that's a right, not a privilege? I mean other places get school for free, you just have to pay for materials yourself instead. I kinda wish it was like so it doesn't hit nearly as hard. And honestly, for me personally I've learned a lot more from people, friends and watching everyone else that I see on a daily basis more than school. That's not to say we can't learn from school but it shouldn't be presented as: Go to school > Learn > Get job when it's clearly not the case at all. And somehow we're the 'future' when we're just drowning school debt so our so-called dream has to be put off.
And my sister also gets the get out of jail for free card too. Somehow I'm the target for other people's happenings.
By 'Suzu' do you mean 'Zuzu Boyle' from Yugioh ARC-V? Working on my Celina cosplay, so I'm your Fusion buddy! But that aside, yeah I totally feel you. If you want, we can duel ! I run Lunalights and Lyrilusc as my main.
--
Something You Like: Coffee and sandwiches, doughnuts, comics, anime, music.

Direction You're Headed In: I actually want to cry about this one. I know I shouldn't but I do. I've had so many things I wanted to do, and I know I can't try all of them out; much less all of them being achieved. But I'm more disappointed in not even been given the chance to try, which is entirely different. It feels like missed opportunities one after the other, and being the target of people's inadequacies or whatever it was making me feel bad about myself doesn't help. I could ramble on but I want to keep this fun.
That aside, I'm in still school, despite returning this year being entirely optional so I could've graduated with a second year diploma from my program but having a ted talk brought me back. If it weren't for my three friends, especially with one being in all of my classes for all three years I wouldn't know what to do.

Pet Peeve: Lots, but major ones are hypocrites.

Engagements/Things that currently have your time: School work with the school year winding down.

Little known fact: What would you like to know?

Wild Card: Like Chiagirl, I also play the Yugioh TCG. I'm really starting to learn the ins and outs of the game, not so much on how to actually play (that too since I'm actually returning to the game, with Links and M4R) but mostly how to be smart. The game, like cosplay, is very expensive. But I have one of my friends who in a way, is a bit of a mentor so he's been teaching me a whole lot.
I can see why cosplay can add up, but who wants to pay for over $10 for a single piece of cardboard?

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
TBD

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 04-02-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #92
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
Going through stuff of my own but I can relate of all of this. For the school thing, me and my friend both feel the same way. There's no point in killing yourself over an assignment that's only relevant in the moment and not even going to be looked at again in 5 years. Isn't it a little strange that you have pay for something that's a right, not a privilege? I mean other places get school for free, you just have to pay for materials yourself instead. I kinda wish it was like so it doesn't hit nearly as hard. And honestly, for me personally I've learned a lot more from people, friends and watching everyone else that I see on a daily basis more than school. That's not to say we can't learn from school but it shouldn't be presented as: Go to school > Learn > Get job when it's clearly not the case at all. And somehow we're the 'future' when we're just drowning school debt so our so-called dream has to be put off.
And my sister also gets the get out of jail for free card too. Somehow I'm the target for other people's happenings.
By 'Suzu' do you mean 'Zuzu Boyle' from Yugioh ARC-V? Working on my Celina cosplay, so I'm your Fusion buddy! But that aside, yeah I totally feel you. If you want, we can duel ! I run Lunalights and Lyrilusc as my main.
I could rant about college and how messed up our government is for hours. I have an associate in arts (liberal arts transfer) degree, but it's pretty useless on it's own as that basically just clears out the gen eds for when you transfer to a 4 year college. I held off on going back to college until I wouldn't have to list my parents' information on the FAFSA anymore thinking I'd get more aid that way, but all they're really offering me is more loans. And being that I was looking at a 6 year degree that pays less than most 2 year ones, I think I seriously need to re-evaluate my career choices and find a 2 year program I could be happy with. "Suzu" actually refers to Suzu Fujibayashi from Tales of Phantasia. It was one of the first video games I ever played, and I've probably played about half the games in the series. The Yugioh characters I would be most interested in cosplaying are Ishizu, Guardian Eatos (way beyond my skill ATM), and Sherry LeBlanc. I didn't keep up with the anime past 5Ds, so anything Zexal and beyond I don't really have much knowledge about unfortunately.

While I started playing shortly after the first Yugi/Kaiba starter decks came out, I didn't really play competitively until the Fire Fist & Mermail format (2013-ish). I struggled through dragon ruler and nekroz format (HAT format in the middle was a nice break) and by the time performapals came out I was pretty much done with the game, and I quit around 2015. I couldn't keep fighting my way through 5 monsters that they could just summon back for free each turn (seriously, who approved pendulums in the first place?) and the new rules for link monsters (only 1 extra deck monster at a time without link monsters or something?) ruined a lot of my favorite decks. The decks I played were warrior toolbox, burn, exodia, six samurai, X-saber, bujins, prophecy, anti-meta, a shaddoll/HAT hybrid, and lunalight in that order. I was just starting to learn lunalight when DN got shut down, so I probably wouldn't be very good at playing it. I'm not too interested in getting back into the current game, but I can't find anyone who's willing to play older formats other than goat or tele-dad. I thought about trying to pick up goat format (or one of its many variations like newgioh) but when dueling network got shut down I kind of gave up on that as I wasn't really a fan of YGOPRO/DEVPRO.

Conventions Attended:

Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Anime Midwest 2018
(Nov) Daisho Con 2018

Current Cosplays: Sheena Fujibayashi (young/successor version)

Upcoming Cosplays: Team Magma Grunt, White Mage, Suzu Fujibayashi

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #93
walkerofdarknes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
I can see why cosplay can add up, but who wants to pay for over $10 for a single piece of cardboard?
When I was still playing Yugioh and ran one of the pre-built Fire decks (I think I still have it), one of my gaming buddies bought a Sacred Phoenix of Nepyhs to complete my deck for me as a birthday present. And I know he paid $20 at a local card dealer for it. Sometimes it's about the joy of making someone you know happy, you know?
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #94
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerofdarknes View Post
When I was still pying Yugioh and ran one of the pre-built Fire decks (I think I still have it), one of my gaming buddies bought a Sacred Phoenix of Nepyhs to complete my deck for me as a birthday present. And I know he paid $20 at a local card dealer for it. Sometimes it's about the joy of making someone you know happy, you know?
I love Fire Kings! (I know that may not be the archetype you use but that was the first thing that came to mind). Speaking of $20, yeah for a friend's birthday, Christmas and such I wouldn't mind doing it. But I mean generically it's an expensive game. Mekk Knights (new archetype) are fairly expensive. My friend is looking for Blue Sky which is $20) and I feel so bad for not grabbing it at my card shop since my friend was able to help me the cards I needed for my Lunalights xD. He can never seem to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
I could rant about college and how messed up our government is for hours. I have an associate in arts (liberal arts transfer) degree, but it's pretty useless on it's own as that basically just clears out the gen eds for when you transfer to a 4 year college. I held off on going back to college until I wouldn't have to list my parents' information on the FAFSA anymore thinking I'd get more aid that way, but all they're really offering me is more loans. And being that I was looking at a 6 year degree that pays less than most 2 year ones, I think I seriously need to re-evaluate my career choices and find a 2 year program I could be happy with. "Suzu" actually refers to Suzu Fujibayashi from Tales of Phantasia. It was one of the first video games I ever played, and I've probably played about half the games in the series. The Yugioh characters I would be most interested in cosplaying are Ishizu, Guardian Eatos (way beyond my skill ATM), and Sherry LeBlanc. I didn't keep up with the anime past 5Ds, so anything Zexal and beyond I don't really have much knowledge about unfortunately.

While I started playing shortly after the first Yugi/Kaiba starter decks came out, I didn't really play competitively until the Fire Fist & Mermail format (2013-ish). I struggled through dragon ruler and nekroz format (HAT format in the middle was a nice break) and by the time performapals came out I was pretty much done with the game, and I quit around 2015. I couldn't keep fighting my way through 5 monsters that they could just summon back for free each turn (seriously, who approved pendulums in the first place?) and the new rules for link monsters (only 1 extra deck monster at a time without link monsters or something?) ruined a lot of my favorite decks. The decks I played were warrior toolbox, burn, exodia, six samurai, X-saber, bujins, prophecy, anti-meta, a shaddoll/HAT hybrid, and lunalight in that order. I was just starting to learn lunalight when DN got shut down, so I probably wouldn't be very good at playing it. I'm not too interested in getting back into the current game, but I can't find anyone who's willing to play older formats other than goat or tele-dad. I thought about trying to pick up goat format (or one of its many variations like newgioh) but when dueling network got shut down I kind of gave up on that as I wasn't really a fan of YGOPRO/DEVPRO.
Ohhh I see. Sherry sounds like an interesting character, it's too bad 5ds seems to get shafted. I don't see many 5ds cosplays irl, or the fandom is more into the new series or something. Celina is from ARC-V, so she's from the newer series.
I'm actually not familar with formats, as I said I'm a returning player. And same here, I started playing when the game first started being released. And yep you're not the one upset about Pendulum Summoning (I'm ok with it but that does't mean I don't believe in fair play. I think a lot of people would hate a restriction on how many monsters you can summon, with my Lunalights I usually just do 2.). And you're right, you need to make room with Link Summoning (Link Monster). A lot of people are ok with Links, just not Master 4 Rule. Alot of people seem to like ygopro and there's ygopro2. I'm not fan of Duel Links.
I hope you can figure something out . You can't be too cautious when it comes to picking a path despite all the problems that seem to outweigh the pros. And I could rant about school as well. I have nice teachers, and a chill program but it seems I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
TBD

Follow me:

Quote:
BIRD POWER!
Unread 04-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #95
walkerofdarknes

Quote:
I love Fire Kings!
At the risk of dating my time in YGO, it was Blaze of Destruction, not Fire Kings. My "main" deck was a personal variation of Fury from the Deep, a custom machine deck, and a kinda oddball deck that worked heavily on "End of the World". When it worked at all. I never got all the kinks of out of that one.

Now I'm wondering where my cards are, and if any of them have any value left to them.......

Last edited by walkerofdarknes : 04-06-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Additional info.
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #96
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerofdarknes View Post
At the risk of dating my time in YGO, it was Blaze of Destruction, not Fire Kings. My "main" deck was a personal variation of Fury from the Deep, a custom machine deck, and a kinda oddball deck that worked heavily on "End of the World". When it worked at all. I never got all the kinks of out of that one.

Now I'm wondering where my cards are, and if any of them have any value left to them.......
YugiohPrices and TrollandToad are your friend. If not, you could probably donate to a local thrift store if you don't mind giving it away. I knew you didn't mean Fire Kings, it was just the first thing that came to mind and my love for them (They're actually my main. Well, they will be once I get the deck going).

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
TBD

Follow me:

Quote:
BIRD POWER!
Unread 05-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #97
Rikki chan
Otaku Gamer Disney Geek

Something I like, Anime, Video Games, Disney, Kpop, Cosplay, and a ton of other nerdy fandoms and interests.

Direction you're headed in, No where right now.

Engagements/Things that currently have your time, Cons and cosplay

Little known fact, I have a visual impairment. I don't like to bring it up in the cosplay community because I want to be treated like a normal cosplayer.

Wild Card, I love to sing and dance.
Yui from SAO
Winry FMA
Lunafreya FF15
Musa from Winx
Minnie Mouse
Lugia Gijinka
Ponyta Gijinka
Dawn Pokémon DP

On hold
Kairi from KH2
Madoka Kaname
Eternal Sailor Moon
Reynn from World of Final Fantasy
Princess Elena
Miraculous Ladybug
Songstress Yuna

Planned
Rapunzel
Princess Leia
Hermione Granger
Zelda from Skyward Sword
Bloom from Winx
Honoka from Love Live
Yuko from AKB0048
Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas
Rikki chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #98
Jacky_theNerd
Cranky Costumer Hobbyist

Something You Like: Writing, Sci-fi, Books, History, and Youtube

Direction You're Headed In: Grad School!!

Pet Peeve: My current retail job counts, right?

Engagements/Things that currently have your time: My super secret cosplay, and a space opera novel I'm working on

Little known fact: I wanted to be a journalist once

Wild Card: As I'm getting older, I keep noticing changes in my personality and attitudes that I both like and dislike. It's weird.

Jacky the Nerd's Blog (WordPress) All of my main content goes here.
Facebook Probably the easiest way to follow me.
Tumblr
Jacky_theNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2018, 01:21 AM   #99
neozero

Something You Like: Model Rockets and sailing
Direction You're Headed In: Welp I'm already working a pretty awesome job. My next goals are financial independance and home ownership.
Pet Peeve: People that don't understand proper economics. Like con hotel pricing.
Engagements/Things that currently have your time: Work, studying to get better at work, exercise, and occasional sideprojects.
Little known fact: I have built a positron beam.
Wild Card: I have a wild dream of someday having a drone that can be deployed from my car, speed racer style.

Shinn - Fuccboi
neozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #100
TeaForThought
Knows nothing

Something you like: Cosplay, sci-fi, knitting, reading, figure skating, video games

Direction you're headed in: Not really sure right now but I am trying to figure it out as life keeps throwing me curve balls. I keep having to change my plans and I am feeling really out of sorts right now.

Pet Peeve: Con funk/poor hygiene in general. Being talked over or ignored; people assuming just because I look young that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Engagements/Things that currently have your time: Figure skating, university, my job, and my dog

Little known fact: I've had three heart surgeries and I have a stint but I am still a comeptitive athlete.

Wild card: I didn't really know my heritage or culture for a long time but now that I know I'm working on better connecting to it. I speak English as a first language but know Russian, a little French and German, as well as Gaeilge.
Unread 07-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #101
scribblingninja
Magical Girl Forever

Heeey, this looks like fun.

Something You Like: Archery! I shoot for fun and teach it and I will evangelise about its' benefits any chance I get.
Direction You're Headed In: I'm about to start a Classroom Assistant course in September. So that will hopefully be the thing I do that finally gets me a stable job that pays well and I don't hate. I'm also finally managing to make some money from my art, which is nice. (Even though it's only about $2.50 a month for now.)
Pet Peeve: People who are rude to retail workers. If you don't have time for please and thank you, you don't have time to buy a newspaper.
Engagements/Things that currently have your time: Mostly I'm getting ready for Manchester Comic-con. Between that and sorting out placements and such for my course, working my retail job, doing my Archery teaching, doing Patreon things... I don't end up with time for much else.
Little known fact:I have teeny tiny feets. Teeeeeny!
Wild Card: The first time I went to a convention, I met Micheal Shanks and basically forgot how to speak English. Or in fact how to speak at all.
I was very very star-struck.