Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
VulsaviiK

Gaining weight

So this is going to seem like a bit of an odd one, but long story short I'm about 6 foot and 61kg, so technically I either am underweight or teetering seriously close to it (Given I can see my ribs I'm going to go with the former), even though I eat 3 healthy meals a day. I lost about 10kg earlier in the year due to illness, and to be honest, not only is it embarrassing being this thin but I can tell its not healthy.

So does anyone have any tips on how to put the weight back on?
VulsaviiK is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
ty520

Simply put, you need to eat surplus calories.

You should first calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) - see here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

BMR is the minimum calories your body needs to operate in a sedentary state.

Next, you need to approximate how many calories you burn each day during exercise by determining your Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (EAT)

EAT is the caloric output used during exercise activities

Use this exercise calorie counter to estimate how many calories you burn during a particular activity:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool...alorie-counter

d) Finally, Determine the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF)

TEF is how many calories your body burns to process food

On average, 15% of your caloric intake will be required to process food (as low as 5% for hi-carb diets, and as high as 25% for hi-protein diets)

Therefore, the calories you require to maintain your current body composition is BMR + EAT + TEF (approximate calculation).

To gain, you should increase your caloric intake by 15%; safe weight gain should be about 0.5-1 pounds per week - adjust your caloric intake by +/- 5% after observing progress for a week.

Finally, adjust your macros; macros are the major nutrients you are taking in: proteins, fats, and carbs. I suggest you shoot for at least 1 gram of protein per pound body weight, and .4 grams fat per pound body weight - the rest can be a combination of carbs,fats and proteins; carbs and proteins are 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram; divide your calorie intake by these numbers to figure out how much you should be consuming.

You can use a free website like FitDay.com to log your foods and see how many calories and macros you are eating, and make adjustments as you go.
ty520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Short version: eat more, and when you do eat, eat more things that are dense in calories. Be prepared to be kind of alarmed by how much you eat. When you're feeling healthier and looking more the way you want to look, ease off to about what you're eating now and see what happens for about a month. If you lose weight again, bump up your calories gradually until you're not. If you're holding steady, congrats!

(and if it turns out that your build is naturally underweight and you're having a hell of a time putting it on and keeping it on, don't beat yourself up and don't blow your savings on butter. Do what you can given your circumstances, basically.)
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 12-09-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
VulsaviiK

So I just worked out the figure, and well. When you said I'd be alarmed by how much I need to eat, you weren't wrong. Thanks for the tips guys
VulsaviiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
MaiCosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulsaviiK View Post
So this is going to seem like a bit of an odd one, but long story short I'm about 6 foot and 61kg, so technically I either am underweight or teetering seriously close to it (Given I can see my ribs I'm going to go with the former), even though I eat 3 healthy meals a day. I lost about 10kg earlier in the year due to illness, and to be honest, not only is it embarrassing being this thin but I can tell its not healthy.

So does anyone have any tips on how to put the weight back on?
I fell ill for a long period of time and lost a lot of pounds. I would drink lots of fluids and carbs soon and get my appetite back. You should eat the recommended amount or calories each day so you'll feel full and better also gain a healthy weight along with exercise.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Ilafatyu
That guy

Don't try to cram in that food all at once. If you're anything like me, you'll just feel sick afterward. Space it out throughout the day. Eat all the usual meals, plus mini-meals in between if you can. I've had trouble remembering to eat throughout the day, so I scrounge away PB sandwiches and granola bars to eat while I'm out or during breaks at work. For weekends and non-work days, I have an alarm on my phone that goes off every few hours to remind me to shove some food in my face.

Be sure to exercise, too. Putting on weight is great, but I know I don't want to just plop fat on my bones. I don't use any fancy number system, but I train hard and eat a sort of paleo-esque diet. So far it's been working out fine enough.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%

Last edited by Ilafatyu : 12-12-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Ilafatyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
Ackley

Hey frndz,I know that different people use the different tips and diets for gaining weight of the body so i am agree with your all reviews about the weight gain.Some tips and diets here for gaining weight like,...
Vegetarian recipes
Rice recipes
Potatoes recipes
Banana diets
Dairy foods
Some suitable exercises works.

Brienshamp Boot Camp

Last edited by Ackley : 12-28-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Ackley is offline   Reply With Quote